Personal View site logo
What is the proper way to store a lens?
  • barrel end pointed up or down? I've never gotten a clear answer.

• 7 Replies sorted by
  • Please just do a simple search. We really need to stop the bloating of forums with repeat questions again and again without taking 5 sec to search for it.

http://www.personal-view.com/talks/discussion/3736/how-do-you-store-your-gearrigs/p1

• I did a search, but these are different questions. Maybe I should have been clearer. I'm not asking where to put the lenses; I'm asking what is the best way to physically store them on a shelf (for instance) to ensure a long working life. Is it better for the wide end of the barrel to be pointed up or down? If this question still belongs in the other forum, then I will post it there.

• Did you actually read through any of the threads? It is there. I know for a fact.

• you directed me to a page asking what people buy to store and transport their gear. My specific question is not answered there. I typed "lens storage" in the search engine and went through ten pages of not seeing any topic similar to what I asked.

• On a shelf, I would say wide side (front) down for stability. Still, probably not as good as storing it in a proper case with padding.

• As said before: in an airtight container and with dessicant to keep it all dry and fungus-free.

• Right, but I'm mainly worried about oil on the aperture blades. Does it matter which way it's pointed for this? I just had an old Leica lens from the 50's serviced, and the guy told me to never store it with the aperture stopped down. I was wondering if there are other tips like this.