Personal View site logo
Fotga DP3000 series matte boxes
  • 69 Replies sorted by
  • @Netspot, @Vitaliy is correct we are now discussing too many other parts.

Simply ... raise the camera.

• @NetSpot

I think it can be good idea to make separate topic now, as MB are not involved in all this, really.

• @kavadni On the pic, I only inserted the lens into the matte box only to show that I'm missing a centimeter upward from the rod clamp (of the MB) or downward from the frame of the MB, the rods of the rig are not inserted in the rod clamp of the MB because I can't. And so my problem is that the camera is not high enough and the adjustment pushed at its highest point for the lowest position of the matte box. Sorry! I think it's quite hard to follow. So to summerize I need either to rise up the DSLR or lower the MB (I think I'm being even more confusing). That's why I'm thinking to install the MB on the vertical pair of rods on the side of the swing-away mount using the following: http://goo.gl/M25ROa

Consequently I'll be able to adjust the C-Shape mount and then play with the adjustment of the MB.

(Disclaimer: reading this post may cause irreversible brain damages and the will to slap the author in the face with a rotten herring)

Thanks for your help and your patience

• @netspot ... just search google ... http://www.ebay.co.uk/bhp/aluminium-plate-10mm ... then hacksaw and file.

I still use the lanparte follow focus. My rig is all lanparte (that said I replace the shoulder mount with the Tilta when the BMCC is used)

I've looked more closely at your photos. It's not clear what you have done ... you seem to have used something to drop the height of the matte box rods? The first picture of the front of your rig shows your camera is too high?

• @netspot

There are standards for rod/rail systems. See http://www.ocon.com/inspiration/labs/rod-standards-explained/

Some of the cheap brands don't adhere to this. Check which of your gear does not and adjust that piece. It will make things work better together.

My $0.02

• @kavadni Nice! Where did you find this 10mm perfect spacer? But if I understood well, you don't use your follow focus anymore with this mod or did you find a solution for the follow focus like bigger gear mod or extension arm?

• @Netspot.

I had the lanparte height adjustable base plate and got rid of it, for me it's overkill in size for a DSLR.

I use the same baseplate you have for my DSLR's.

I also have industry standard height MB and had the same issue you have. My solution was to remove the top plate of the baseplate, get some longer m3 screws. And raise it to position the GH2 optical centre at 85mm with spacers.

For the GH2 you need to raise the camera by 13mm to achieve 85mm optical centre.

Link to previous post http://www.personal-view.com/talks/discussion/comment/66905#Comment_66905

Here is the mod: that's actually a 10mm spacer, I was able to lower my mattebox x 3mm, and 10mm material is easy to find.

340757_10151174997444573_1048075453_o.jpg
    1000 x 750 - 48K
  • This is what happens when you try to piece stuff together from different manufactures and save money. I've been there. Also, no matter what they say, most chinese and india stuff is not the same in specs. Somethings off here and there. I would suggest you buy everything that's adjustable as much as possible if you're piecing things together.

• @Vitaliy_Kiselev @vicharris Sorry for the size. The issue with an adjustable base is that if I rise the DSLR by 1 or 2cm, the follow focus will not have an optimal position (see pic attached).

DSC_0060.jpg
    400 x 265 - 86K
  • I didn't realize you had a fixed base mount either. Those will get you into trouble easily if you aren't using industry standard stuff. Some thing is happening to me with my BMCC. All of better bases are fixed at industry standard so I need to use an industry standard mattebox or one that will adjust to that. That's why I sold my Cinematics. It doesn't adjust low enough because of the swing away function.

• @NetSpot

It is not MB fault at all. And why you need such strange solution? It is fault of your camera mount (btw one of the reason why you never seen it on deals here). All you really need is to find proper adjustable base (even without rods). And they are cheaper than C bracket. Problem with bracket on rig it's weight mostly, and you anyway will get base, sooner or later.

Also, I specially asked not to upload photos of such size (really, even 400px are enough in this case).

• @Vitaliy_Kiselev @Vicharris So here are the pics of the Matte box with my lens inserted into. As you can see, I'm already at the lowest adjustment on it, my lanparte base is fixed and the adjustment part of the MB would need a centimeter downward but then it would be in contact with the frame of the MB. I contacted an Ebay seller about the DP500II C Shape bracket, and he told me that it would work with my MB.

Thx for your help guys!

DSC_0053.jpg
    2328 x 4247 - 893K
    DSC_0055.jpg
    2967 x 1964 - 871K
    DSC_0056.jpg
    4928 x 3264 - 805K
  • @NetSpot

No, all the knockoff versions. Not RedRock. I'm sure there's is fine. As for your problem, seems like there's an easy fix and I'm sure V will figure it out.

• @NetSpot

Can you make photos of all your items. I mean base, MB from other side, etc. Just try to make them small, ok?

• @vicharris No I only meant up and down adjustment for the moment, but horizontal adjustment is something I'll have to figure out with a C Shape stuff. and What the f**** the RedRock is poorly buit! At the price they sell it! Never tried Redrock and will never do.

• Yep I tried but as my DSLR is not a Full Frame, the distance from the base to the center of the lens is shorter. The DP3000 looks to be sized for a Full Frame and the Nikon D5200 is much smaller. My Lanparte base is not the adjustable one . It's the one I get in a bundle, the Lanparte adjustable base looks good but I cannot afford it at the moment. Actually that's 105-140$ for the C shape bracket (the one shown in your post above the advanced handles) against 260-300$ for the adjustable base.

Cheers!

• @NetSpot You mean left to right adjustment right? Meaning your lens does not center that way instead of up and down? If so, that's the same reason I sold my RedRock Swing out knock off matte box. It's re branded by many companies but it's so poorly built, the donuts would fit for some lenses. If this is your problem, that's one of the tradeoffs for a mattebox so cheap. Bummer but that's how it is. Poor QC.

• Do you mean one at http://www.personal-view.com/talks/discussion/810/special-deals-complete-rigs-and-rig-parts#Item_2 ?

As I slightly do not understand. Did you tried to adjust matte box height by itself?

• Sorry, I didn't know what was the proper size to publish a pic, I did an export at less than 2MB. The issue with the Lanparte height adjustable baseplate is that if I lift up my camera I will lose the proper position of my FF. The vertical adjustment is already at his maximum downward. However I found the Fotga DP500II C Shape height adjustable bracket to be an option. Can I post the ebay's link?

And thank you very much for your quick answer.

• @NetSpot

Also, Lanparte base allow adjustment of camera height, check it. And MB also must have some vertical adjustment.

• @NetSpot

Can you, please, resize photos before attaching?

• Hi there, I bought the DP3000 swing away mattebox for mounting on a Lanparte rig with an APS-C DSLR (D5200), I cannot center it around my lenses. I would need something either to lower it or to use a C shape adsjustable bracket. But most of these C shape bracket are made for 5D mark or bigger nikon DSLRs and I'm afraid not to be able to adjust it properly, I thought about the Lanparte height adjustable baseplate but I won't be able to use my FF without an extension arm. Any hint?

Thx for your help.

DSC_0048.jpg
    3181 x 4802 - 1M
  • I'm really happy with fotga build quality and these DP 300 matt boxes look very interesting and maybe good value. Would be good if Fotga eventually had some shots of there rigs with everything mounted. I basically have a DP 500 set up with C bracket and was wondering if the M3 swing away matt box will compliment it, so instead of taking a punt maybe I'll just go for the M2. I also like the look of the DP 300 bracket, and if it is wider than the DP500 bracket I would certainly grab one, though I can only see one 1/4 " mount ?

• Ok, thanks guys.

Andrei

• Yep, even the Cinematics dies this.