Personal View site logo
2K BlackMagic Pocket Cinema Camera, active m43, $995
  • 4493 Replies sorted by
  • @ahbleza Do you have a graded version? I would like to see how it turns out.

• @vichriss I can't remember if firmware update fixed the black hole on my old uncalibrated cam. now that you mention it I my replacement cam was all updated but I can't remember if i updated that or the RMA one i got.

you may be onto something there. i thoughr recalibaration was only for blooming.

• @vicharris

Anyone update their cam with the newest firmware and not have it fix anything? My black spot is still there. Bummer.

If you don't like the camera, stop bitching and keep filming with whatever you have

;-) SCNR

• The firmware doesn't fix it, recalibration does. You have to contact BM and see where to send your camera back to for the recalibration.

• Anyone update their cam with the newest firmware and not have it fix anything? My black spot is still there. Bummer.

• @digger If you mean TC, yes, that's a problem. There is no TC in or out.

• Tonight I went out shooting with my newly acquired BMPCC fitted with an Olympus f2.8 17mm pancake lens (for minimum profile.) I shot entirely handheld. This video has no color grading, and the sound is based on the built-in microphone. The lens has no stabilization.

• One can't help but wonder if this thread would be less active if there were a shit-ton of the cameras in stock worldwide, and one could simply purchase one, shoot with it, and make a decision to either love it and keep it, or hate it and return it (minus the restocking fee)

• @digger OK, but synced sound in camera would be an issue?

• @digger Sure. You can use the internal mic for a guide track and sync with tools like DualEyes/PluralEyes, FCP-X or the like.

• @nomad Do you think there's a way then to get quality synced sound from something like the H4N Zoom? So you could put the Zoom in your pocket and keep the small form factor of the BMPCC?

• @ Stylz It's not the mic, but the internal circuitry. While an external mic will be better, it still has considerable background noise if you don't come in at line levels.

• Regarding the comparison shots. I'm not involved in the art of deceiving customers, apparently that type of move is common and accepted. I on the other hand, if I had taken those pics as a comparison, I could not in good conscience post those up as is knowing the huge discrepancy in sunlight. I would feel obligated to be as fair as s possible. I would reshoot. If the camera is as good as I know the bmpcc is, there is no need to allow obvious discrepencies to be passed off as a comparison. The bmpcc can successfully stand on it's own without questionable tatics.

• @nomad Do mean using the on board mic, a shotgun mic or both have too much noise?

• @digger Without amplification the audio from the BMPCC is not good enough (massive background noise). You'll need a Juiced Link or something similar if you want the record in camera.

Sorry to bring bad news, apart from that I'm stunned by this camera at the price point, and i've shot with Alexas, F55 and all REDs…

• FYI, Adorama has the BMPCC in stock with back orders filled.

Edit: looks like they sold out.

• @johnbrawley Thank you for the explanation. I guessed later that the sun had moved (it keeps doing that during my shoots too!), or that clouds had moved in, and not "flagged". I think my use of the term "lying" may have been a little intemperate, and would perhaps characterize it is "misleading", since the implication is that enhanced DR is going to give the results of bringing down the highlights to the degree suggested.

I also want to mention that my own BMPCC arrived this morning, and that I am already extremely satisfied with my BMCC MFT, which I've owned for a few months. I think they are fantastic cameras, although the sound and slow firmware updates need attention. I have no regrets buying them, and have already noticed how much better my footage looks.

As an example, here's a shoot I did in July with two cameras: my BMCC and a Canon 7D. Ignore the interviews, and see if you can tell which shots were done with which cameras. BTW, fantastic work with the Cocorosie shoot. Kudos!

• What's the most inconspicuous microphone you can think of that would work with the BMPCC? Alternately, has anyone used the A-Box by Wooden Camera which gives XLR inputs? http://www.amazon.com/Wooden-Camera-A-Box-Pocket/dp/B00E0N7OOI

• anyone not satisfied with their pocket camera let me know, i'll buy it!

• @johnbrawley

I think you are mostly right.

But it is also right thing to shoot side by side samples and replace current images on site.

• @ahbleza I shot the original comparison shots that you're claiming are "lying".

The DSLR was shot at the same exposure with a regular 5dMK2 using my own low con picture profile recipe.

The lighting did change between our setups. The sun was streaming in through the background. You can see it's moved from one shot to another, but you'll note the DR difference and I believe that's what's important. This footage was part of a longer narrative sequence that was originally planned to use to launch the original 2.5K bmcc, which BMD decided not to use. Because they were part of a longer sequence where Leah comes up closer to camera and fiddles with her phone, there was a bit of mucking about to complete the shot.

The sun wasn't flagged. It simply was 15 mins later when we shot. The only lighting in this shot was some HMI close to camera which doesn't really play in this early part of the shot.

It's not hard to replicate what happened in this shot. One River very early on did some similar A/B comparisons, and in the way you should do them, shooting at exactly the same time.

I'd invite you to test and compare yourself. I don't think the "idea" of what they're saying is lying at all. The cameras have a much greater DR than a typical dSLR. Many have commented that when they "see" footage that their camera will be able to do similar, but once you shoot side by side then you'll discover how much of a difference there is. Is that lying ?

JB

• @kholi didn't mean you :)

• @kholi Well I actually ordered it in June...at B&H(facepalm) was gonna switch to passive M43 full size but my bad financial situation and a feeling that an active mount for that is inevitable made me realize I should just be patient and keep the pre-order.

• @stip

Actually you're absolutely right. I didn't tell anyone to get over anything etc., but it's far better to just ignore or not acknowledge at all which is what should be done.

Carry on.