Personal View site logo
50mm SLR Magic Cine T 0.95
  • 53 Replies sorted by
  • @tobsen: I can't compare as this is the first lens I got. SLRMagic guaranteed me that it was common for lenses to have small dust and spots and that even the big brands wouldn't replace a new lens with the little dirt I have. They did offer to replace it but I didn't because of the shipping. I couldn't spot flaws in the image.

Btw, I read somewhere that these spots can show in bokhee (how's that spelled? ;). Mine doesn't.

@vicharris: +1 on the buy-from-reseller advice. Thing is that when I got mine no one else had them in store.

• @dtr That is what they told me as well. Haven't noticed any problems with bokeh yet. Hope it stays like that. How are you liking the 12mm so far?

• Lens good, customer bad :)

• Interesting article found by @Vitaliy_Kiselev.

http://www.l-camera-forum.com/leica-forum/customer-forum/219911-slr-magic-50mm-f0-95-m-24.html#post2119905

Makes me sad and almost regret the purchase of the 50mm Cine lens. In my case, it performs well (despite infinity being a bit before the end of the focus ring end point, but I can live with that), but I complained about the particles and specks inside th lens. It took three weeks of emailing back and forth until they granted me a free handling of the shipment and cleaning.

Now, I am actually worried about sending it back, because I fear that it might get "glued up" badly and I might be stuck with other problems.

What do you all think? Should I really send it back or am I freaking out here?

• If particles are not big and do not interfere with image, just forget about them, as you'll have ones anyway with years :-)

• @Vitaliy_Kiselev particles don't interfere with image quality. I guess I stick with it. @dtr check the link I posted. I agree on "ouch" ;)

• SLR Magic tell that all this is false :-)

• i was strongly looking at this lens but after reading the few reviews or forums, the lens almost seems like a hoax. are there any people out there who swear by this lens or are still enamored with it?

• @Tobsen: that was a reply to your post ;)

• @dtr I just noticed after your comment - ouch ;)

• it's okay, i'm opting for the olympus 45mm. maybe less dreamy, but i make up for it in my sleep instead of having to work overtime to pay the extra $600... unless... unless... that seems misguided, mislead, misfigured

• The Leica M version of this lens has been recently (very positively) reviewed on the Photozone, using Sony Nex-7 with its 24MP killer sensor as test camera (used Metabones Leica to Nex adapter is not speed booster version!). But the lens performed really well in tough test conditions:

http://www.photozone.de/sony_nex/732-slrmagic50t095

• Despite there being noticeable hazing at fast apertures due to spherical aberrations, this lens delivers fairly good sharpness at f/0.95 in the centre of the frame, which could make this lens ideal for portraiture. Stopping down improves sharpness in the centre to outstanding levels from around f/2.8 and beyond, although the sharpness towards the edges of the frame never really catches up.

http://www.ephotozine.com/article/slr-magic-50mm-f-0-95-hyperprime-lens-review-23001

cine.jpg
    661 x 582 - 76K
    cine1.jpg
    657 x 494 - 70K
    cine3.jpg
    800 x 607 - 52K
    cine2.jpg
    800 x 602 - 65K
  • That is actually a test for the 50mm F0.95 and not the T0.95.

This is a test for the 50mm T0.95 http://www.photozone.de/sony_nex/732-slrmagic50t095

• @slrmagic

I am really confused. What is the difference exactly?

• 1) They are two different lenses. 50mm F0.95 comes has APS-C coverage and comes in mFT mount, E-mount, or X-mount. 50mm T0.95 has FF coverage and comes in mFT, E-mount, or X-mount via M mount adapter (now included).

2) 50mm T0.95 is faster than the 50mm F0.95 due to T stop calibration difference.

3) 50mm F0.95 is much smaller at around 500g and 50mm T0.95 is much larger at nearly 1Kg.

4) Sharpness of 50mm T0.95 is much superior over the 50mm F0.95

5) 50mm F0.95 was originally made by Noktor in Japan in OEM factory and calibrated in Hong Kong. 50mm T0.95 is made in China by SLR Magic and assembled + calibrated in Hong Kong.

6) You can see the difference even by the photo.

kit.jpg
    640 x 609 - 127K
  • @slrmagic

Yep, but do you actually released T0.95 version. As most that I see is annoucment and old review.

• @Vitaliy_Kiselev we sold this lens for a very long time already. It can be bought on our website and is very popular for FS-700 and M mount RED users. Most resellers prefer to stock the 50mm F0.95 version so the 50mm T0.95 version is harder to find around. Adorama also has the 50mm T0.95 lens so it is around!

http://www.adorama.com/SLR5095MCN.html

• @slrmagic

Andrew, wasn't the lens you showed us the T0.95? If so I have some footage from it that I shoot that night on my GH2 wide open.

• @vicharris

The lens I showed you was the 35mm T0.95 lens (now sold out and discontinued due to the 35mm T0.95 CINE II version that is now available).

The lens they are talking about here is the 50mm T0.95

• @slrmagic

Are you sure? I could have sworn you had the 50mm .95 with that new adapter for mft. Itv wasn't mft mount. Btw, you get my email?

• if the lens you saw had lens gear built-in, it is the 35/0.95

• I used to own a Navitar 75mm f1.3 CCTV lens. It was C mount, but it was one of the rare ones that gave a full image circle on m4/3, ie no vignetting at all, without modification.

The Navitar gave luminous images of grand beauty, similar in texture and bokeh to what I have seen here, especially the portrait shot. i am inclined to conclude that at the heart of the Noktor is really a CCTV glass, much like the Navitar except it is augmented for digital filmmaking.

Too bad I sold the Navitar when I started my Zeiss collection. In some ways, i still miss it even though i now shoot with the Zeiss 85mm f1.4

Image taken from http://www.flickr.com/photos/cafemilkyway/5127378908/in/photostream/

Author had used a Navita 75mm f1.3

5127378908_ffb2134b97_z.jpg
    640 x 480 - 40K
  • brightened it by 1/2 stop and tweaked colours.

f93823b547fc7568d2b697346420aa_Fotor.jpg
    800 x 607 - 323K