Personal View site logo
PC motherboards topic
  • I'm upgrading my board and need recommendations. running a lga1155 2600k. im looking at z77 boards and also thunderbolt boards from asus and asrock. not too sure on a tb board cause of the cost of tb ext harddrives are double that of usb3, and not many things use tb yet. besides asus and asrock what are some other boards that everybody recommends

thanks seth

• 14 Replies sorted by
  • Go to video guys.com - they have some really helpful articles on self-building for video editing for a variety of budgets

• I often use the Asrock for builds. Just make sure it has the features you need, esp good SATA ports and USB3 support.

• @sethdp

Get any from Asus or Gigabyte MBs. One of Z77 Gigabyte ATX boards pluses is that they have mSATA on board, hence you can have more space for HDDs and less wires by placing small SSD board directly on MB.

• Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UP5-TH is v nice board - very over-clockable and stable with good BIOS options Thunderbolt Firewire mSATA USB3 etc.

• Thank you for the replies. I will definitely give gigabyte boards a look

• gigabyte and asus best boards for hackintosh too - very apple friendly. :-)

• does any one remember tomato mb? middle 90´s

• Asus Z87-Deluxe/Quad with 2 thunderbolt ports http://www.asus.com/News/22a1IgaOOVSdTMoM

I'm going into an Avid 7 project with guys who are using macs with all thunderbolt drives, etc. I'd like to build out a pc system that's fast and will be able to access thunderbolt and usb 3.

Has anyone built a system with this motherboard?

I suppose I could consider running a mac os on it as well.

Thanks

• I'll second the Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UP5-TH. I'm using it on my Hack. No problems. The only drawback is if you want to use two GPU Cards I guess but it has two thunderbolt and a crap load of other external connections.

• Diddo Vic, great MB, not a problem for over a year running my Hackintosh.

• I know this isn't the hackintosh board, but is there a dual xeon board that might be a place to build from? I primarily want to work in windows 7, but might want to run mac os some times. thanks

• anybody dealt with bent pins on the lga 1155 socket? I bought a biostar tz77a with like 3 pins bent.. i got them oriented right but they are slightly off.. they don't seem to be contacting each other but I'm unsure..

• I think best idea is go and replace motherboard.

• Hi, I've ordered all the jewllery to build my pc (and maybe hackintosh)

The new MB is the GA-Z87X-UD5H LGA with 3.5ghz intel gen 4 chip. 10 +usb 3.0 ports

I'm going to be running avid mC 7.o, so I'll be curious how it all works w gtx670 Avid says you can only use quadro, but's another topic.

cheers