Personal View site logo
Sony NEX-3N
  • 14 Replies sorted by
  • I am starting to like this camera. I saw the specs and some videos. Price will be cheap here in my country, image quality is the same of more expensive NEX cameras, there is a built in flash, no mic input but external recorder can solve this, and mic input in nex is just on expensive NEX-7 so... Crop factor is 1.6x (same as Nikon D5200) and with the Speed Bo0ster it is 1.14x almost full frame. There is 24p and 60i can be turned into 60p with interpolation. It seems it has a contrast to dial down and DRO. There is moire and aliasing, but for the price it is good.

• If price has been the only thing keeping you from buying an ILC, you officially have no more excuses left. While the NEX-3n isn’t the best ILC on Sony’s roster, at this price it’s worth every penny. Shooters used to sub-$500 compacts should be very pleased with what they get in this camera, and it’s a solid entry point to the E-mount lens system, which has been steadily gaining steam since its inception. Moreover, the E-mount can be adapted to an enormous range of lenses in other mounts, including Sony’s own DSLR A-mount.

http://www.popphoto.com/gear/2013/05/camera-test-sony-alpha-nex-3n

• I tried it out at bestbuy. Very plastic build. Yeah who cares about build quality nowadays, but it felt so cheap.

• The Sony Alpha NEX-3N is the newest and most affordable model in Sony's popular NEX line-up. Falling in between their Alpha dSLR and point-n-shoot cameras, the NEX line combines the best of both worlds, giving you a powerful and high quality camera in a much smaller and easy to use body. The NEX-3N features a 16.1-Megapixel, APS-C sized imaging sensor, which is the same sized sensor that you will find in most dSLR cameras.

Performance from the NEX-3N is pretty good for an ILC, capturing its first image within 2.4 seconds of being turned on. When the camera is focused, the shutter lag is almost instantaneous, shooting in less than 1/10 of a second. It took between 2/10 and 4/10 of a second what allowing the AF system to work. In single shot mode the shot-to-shot delay is 0.84 seconds or 1.42 seconds when shooting with the flash. Shooting in continuous mode allows the camera to capture images at 2.86fps continuously. Speed Priority Continuous increases it to 4.55fps but the buffer will fill after 10 images; in which the rate will slow but continue shooting.

One of Sony's most popular features, their Sweep Panorama shooting mode, is one of the most convenient shooting modes on this camera. The ease of use with this mode is just as easy as any other automatic mode on the camera.

Home movie capture with the NEX-3N is incredibly easy, as the camera is always ready thanks to the dedicated video recording button. This button will start recording full 1080p HD video just by pressing it, no matter what shooting mode the camera is currently in. This is perfect for the situation that you were unprepared for that can be captured better with video than just a single image. If you are prepared to capture video, the NEX-3N has an advanced video shooting mode that gives you plenty of options to choose from. This mode also allows you to capture still images simultaneously while capturing video without any interruption. Our sample movie shows a very sharp and smoothly playing video that is very pleasing to watch.

http://www.steves-digicams.com/camera-reviews/sony/nex-3n/00003.MTS

http://www.steves-digicams.com/camera-reviews/sony/nex-3n/sony-nex-3n-review.html

sales4.jpg
    800 x 518 - 173K
    sales3.jpg
    800 x 536 - 96K
  • The latest compact system camera body in the Sony NEX line offers an array of features that are perfectly suited to the general purpose photographer looking to get superior quality images without much fuss. The sub-$500 NEX 3N and kit lens bring an SLR-sized sensor to a compact and affordable package.

The Sony NEX-3N's Superior Auto does a fantastic job at switching modes for the user, even changing to Macro when shooting close objects. (And since it was easier to activate Superior Auto than to dig around for the Macro setting, I often switched to Superior Auto just to photograph a close up image.)

The camera's Twilight and Anti Motion Blur settings use multiple frames in order to create usable images. While gimmicky, and better to use a tripod, this does extend the usefulness of the camera for beginners. There's also a wide variety of creative effects and filters called Picture Effects, ranging from Toy Camera to Sweep Panorama. These make it easy for photographers to add drama or fun to their images, right in the camera

http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/sony-nex-3n/sony-nex-3nA.HTM

nuc7.jpg
    640 x 779 - 72K
    nuc8.jpg
    800 x 501 - 208K
  • Just returned a my 3n after a couple of days of shooting. Mostly wanted it as an affordable aps-c 'compact' for photography, but images it produced weren't to my liking - jpegs with blotchy noise and banding artifacts. The kit lens is pretty much crap without auto-correction - so RAW shots out of it are full of barrel distortion and fringing on the lenses wide end. The screen was glary and pretty hard to use outdoors. Video seemed worse than on the nex 5n, even though bitrate is the same for 25p. Shame really - would have been a nice size (and price) for an aps-c pseudo-compact. I've had 3 cameras now with that 16mp sensor Sony put out for the NEX range, and to my eye the noise that sensor produces is simply horrible (especially in video mode). Should have known better. Still, considering the very low price, I guess it's a pretty good deal for someone who wants to try out an ilc for the first time.