Personal View site logo
GH2 shooting at 1080p 25fps Best Hack
  • Are there any general shoot hacks out there that will allow shooting at 1080p 25 with bit rates over 55 and can record for at least 10minutes?

• 6 Replies sorted by
  • I have not tried 25p, but I regularly shoot 1080/24p and get full spanning at 60Mbps outdoors. I use Cake 2.3 for that. I get 49Mbps at 1080/30p on the GF3 and it too can fill a card. Note: AVCHD mode spans, MP4 does not. The GH2 will span with Cake 2.3 on the cheapest blue Patriot Class 6 card in my experience. For the GX1, I have no problem with Galaxian V1 at 1080/30p for spanning. But bit rates are a bit lower. Still, the video looks terrific.

• my son is in the same boat with a GH2, was using Driftwood QuantumX v4b orion then went to sanity 5.1, but not sure that they are the best for general purpose use, that is, shooting random stuff, not always the same, could be scenery while out an about, could be a music video, could be a live band in a pub, could be shooting an interview etc.

he shoots 1080/24p mostly with various lenses.

hacks can be very confusing, just seems to be so many out there its difficult to decide which is best without trying them all.

i shoot using panasonic hand held camcorders mounted on my own custom made rigs so my video is AVCHD @ 28Mbps, i have no option as there are no hacks made for these types of cameras.

• You should try "HQ3GOP ver.10" (HBR), it is awesome for 25p. I've been using it in two jobs in a raw with very good results and not one glitch so far. Cards are sandisk 32GB Extreme VideoHD @30MB/s.

• 1) requesting 55M alone makes no sense and doesn't guarantee quality. For Example 55M for a GOP 1 setting isn't enough while it may be even too much and unnecessary for a GOP 12 or 18 setting.

Before going on you should learn how settings works.

2) HQ3GOP may be the best setting for PAL users looking for both high details and motion rendition, but spanning is not 100% guaranteed in 25p and you may not reach 10min.

EDIT: It looks like version n.10 of HQ3GOP spans in 25p mode; Sandisk 95mb/s 64gb is recommended.

3) you can try Spizz T6 or Valkyrie T3 2.2 but Sandisk 95mb/s 64gb cards are highly recommended for spanning

4) alternatively try Nebula T7 or Towi's version of Sanity 3.1 setting. They require less bit-rate than 55M w/o compromising quality and should be ok with Sandisk 30mb/s cards.

• Is it possible to film at 1080/50fps ?

• Not on a gh2.