Personal View site logo
GH3 Best Video Settings
  • 814 Replies sorted by
  • For me it is absolutely NATURAL -5 -5 -2 -5. Shot my first shortmovie with this setting after weeks of testing prior to production. Grades very nicely. Used only 2 lenses => mostly the Voightländer 0.95 25mm and the SLR Magic 12mm Hyperprime for some wides.

http://www.personal-view.com/talks/discussion/comment/141352#Comment_141352

Great camera!

• Yes it's more visible in red/magenta/purple colors I believe the post processing has some flaw (maybe intentional) in this regard.

And yes all -5 there is loss in those red's and also in blown highlights they tend to get greyish hard to recover vividly and natural, without destroying the footage.

Now if you are shooting without skins or red stuff, and no blown highlights go for all -5 it does give slight margin in post. Like low light dark places that's a good example where all -5 wins.

CHEERS

• @SuperSet Can you post a vid of your results. I for one would love to see your results. I. believe I'm coming to similar conclusion. Standard, all at -5, has yielded great results fir me in post for most everything I shoot. It's only when skin is present that things become...difficult ...to say the least. I'm retesting with Standard -3 -3 -2 -3. I'll post results when I've completed my tests.

• I've been exclusively shooting in Natural -5s but this tread made me rethink it, considering the chalky skin tones. So, I tried a little Standard -3s and it did seem a little better. Although, looking at the histogram, I would have liked more range to work with in Post. Also note that I'm working with the Voigtlander 25mm and it's usually softer and yellower than the Lumix lenses.

• 25mm does not have a stepless aperture ring.

• @Umii As far as getting the best GH3 video in low light and nice manual prime lenses go... Google the Voigtlander Nokton 25mm or 17.5mm if you haven't already. They're Micro 4/3 lenses. The incredible feature....both have an f-stop of 0.95! Also feature a "non-click" aperture ring for silent adjustments while filming. Very pricey but talk about a piece of glass...wow.

Sorry to the group for getting off topic a bit :)

• @maddog15 thanks! Yes -5 is noise reduction I just let neat handle it I probably took a bit too much out on this neat is such a nice tool taking the time to do a profile for the iso setting specifically really seems to pay off. Love the lens as well I've got a 45mm 1.8 Olympus on order as well which seems to deliver good bang for the buck, will be interesting. Would love to invest in some fancy manual glass but can't justify it (yet ;) ) managing to workaround most focus issues with the fly by wire stuff and neat is good enough for my expectations to let me work at higher iso with slower lenses.

• I'm hoping the hack, if/when it happens, can fix that.

• Yes the lowest ISO for video is 200

• A little off-topic, but is it definitely not possible to shoot video at 125 ISO? A bunch of settings present in the photo settings menu are not in the video one, and while some apply to both (1/3 stop ISO for instance), Extended ISO does not seem to.

Really, I'm not very happy with the stock firmware - there's not enough customizability. I don't need either aperture control or shutter speed bound to the thumb wheel things, as I shoot video with manual glass, yet I can't change them.

• @Umii This looks great. Really helps when you bath a dark shot with a key/spot light like you did with the lamp. With YouTube compression it's hard to tell but your noise level appears to be almost nonexistent. (Thanks to Neat!) A lot of credit has to be given to that wonderful f1.4 Leica lens I think. From the settings you listed above I'm assuming the -5 is noise reduction?

Nice test and thanks for posting.

• Hi All,

Been following this thread, just hobbyist not film maker :) just testing with lower light filming, Std -2,-2,0,-5 ISO2000 f1.4 25mm Pany Leica prime cleaned up with neatvideo with a couple of 40w bulbs at night, was trying some of the more aggressive -numbers but this seemed to retain more detail and scopes showed I'd not crushed or clipped anything so was not sure what going less contrast, saturation etc. would gain in that instance ?, colours as shot just took it to studio rgb levels before uploading to youtube.

• @starios. Ditto and I hear ya bro.

• @maxr in your low light video there are almost no midtones at all. You have good lighted areas and no light areas, completely dark so you are safe, I mentioned it before, the problem with noise is in midtones, where the sensor doen't know exactly what it sees, for example, in f/1.2 and iso 1600 I shot the "thriller" video the midtones are about in the same range that in reality our eyes see but not to say for sure what they see :). @maxr About panning, I am not sure if I explained it right but I tried in page 3 july 24 in this same forum. @maddog15 wherever the light is ok 3200 would be acceptable with neat video of course, unfortunately I agree with you and prefer the same, darker but cleaner image, unfortunately because we have no choise of higher iso than 1600 but, if its toooo dark, when you boost in post the pressed colors they go nowhere, those are the times with a tear in my eye I choose to go to 3200 and 6400 at least to catch some color and the bride to be a noisy bride and not any living being. If sometime we'are gonna have a raw shooting hack like 5d, probably we will be able to shoot at any iso with no noise at all...probably, hopefuly...NEVER :p

• I've been on 24p using .MOV Was previously using Natural with -5, but now testing Standard with similar settings after what @maddog15 pointed out on skintones as we mix shoots with FS100 and Canon 60D.

I feel confident going to 3200 ISO because the grain looks way better than what my 7D and 60D had at 1250 ISO. Additionally, because I do event shooting... I'm willing to drop my shutter from 50 down to 30-40 for low light situations.

• @maddog15 thanks mr.
    In the video I pointed out above I had already used my fastest lens f1.7, minimum SS possible and we place santamaria plant in a spot where she will be happy (and make others happy) not near the lights and sights jejeje, which compels me to say I don't agree with some points FJ make but I don't have too :D some are even very misleading... but hey, that's main problem with generalizations, isn't it?
    As I said before, in my particular case, I'm trying to find a balance between grain, IQ, DR and all the cinematic whores we adore.
    Another parameter to measure settings with (and general workflows) will be "how long" takes to process/clean/CC/grade. Have to go eat, chhhhhhiiirs

• @maxr Yep, what you would call "a little darker" and "noise" are subjective. Here's a great source for low light dslr video guidelines from Fenchel & Janisch.

• @starios

When I shoot 50p and pan the camera, to avoid jittering when export in 25 I blend instantly in quick pannings the second frames that are going to be deleted from youtube-vimeo

I don't understand and I'm interested :D

@maddog15

regarding low light, I've turned my ISO limit on and set it to 1600. I think I'd rather have a little darker shot but without all the noise you get beyond 1600

May I say that it's a choice, for me that choice will greatly depend on what you would call "a little darker" and "noise".
    In this video - this one's mine, je eje - from 5:04 to 6:56 is all ISO 3200, light sources are the moon, the big lantern glasses guy is holding and a very tiny led torch; of course neatvideo and added noise. IQ and grading wise could be better, like you I'm still finding my way... on the way. Keep the engine running :-)

• @starios. "... probably because all those +5s are before cameras compression". That's a good point. I hadn't considered what the camera's compression would do. After advice from a couple other shooters regarding low light, I've turned my ISO limit on and set it to 1600. I think I'd rather have a little darker shot but without all the noise you get beyond 1600.

• @wgtwo as @maddog15 I find light version more natural and I prefer too 3 way cc. @maxr very nice video, as usual time lapse is national geographic level! When I shoot 50p and pan the camera, to avoid jittering when export in 25 I blend instantly in quick pannings the second frames that are going to be deleted from youtube-vimeo. It helps. About my nightmare problem, noise, my conclusion after some tests, even that I always shoot -5 -5 -2 -5, when there is extreme low light going to iso 3200 or 6400 and need for a lot of editing in post with denoiser and boosting light, I tried shooting with (contrast is noisy concernig midtones) -5+5+5+5, it has much much less noise and helps every filter in premiere act better probably because all those +5s are before cameras compression.

• @wgtwo You know maybe it's my eyes or my monitor but the lighter adjusted image looks ok. I can see where you're coming from with the image with the curve adjustment. Way over saturated but that's to be expected when using curves in PP. I use the "3 Way Color corrector" first Then RGB curves if necessary. The 3 Way is more forgiving and subtle than curves. If you get a chance you might want to shoot someone but with your white balance set way low just as a test. Like 3200K. That'll make it really blue but I've heard that correcting in post yields better results for skin tones. The red channel is also responsible for a lot of noise. I did this test with the GH2 but need to repeat it for the GH3

• http://i.imgur.com/CVRsRmE.jpg RGB curves

http://i.imgur.com/95lbUBg.jpg Levels - better, but has a slightly bleached look, particularly below the cheekbone.

http://i.imgur.com/CNvEIMg.jpg Different shot with some compensation - has a weird orange look to it (the difference here can probably to attributed to the difference between Caucasian and Asian skin, but in both cases there is a problem).

• Trying the AVCHD setting. A bit surprised how hot and saturated the shots were even with everything set to -5.

• @wgtwo Can you post the clip or screen shot? I'd personally like to see what your seeing as flesh tones and the red channel have been a struggle for me lately also.

• Something I've been running into, shooting at -5/-2/-2/-5, is a tremendous boost in red in the skin tones when pulling the shadows down using RGB curves, whereby I have to compensate with saturation which makes it look unnatural.