Personal View site logo
Olympus EM-5 topic
  • 386 Replies sorted by
  • I think to make not just 24p projects with 30p-24p conforming of clips by Olympus and other footage 24pGH2, but make whole projects with GH2 at 29.97p, but my editing software Avid MC not allows me use HBR GH2, because I'm not able to conform HBR to progressive with any transcoding software, it simple throws second field and footage became less sharp than 720p. So I bought second Olympus for B-Cam, EPL5 for normal speed 29.97p projects.

• I think it sounds like foreign language...

I tried first time Lensbaby with free focusing spring that I use so much time at GH2...

It looks crazy, jumpy elastic picture Lensbaby with pro image stabilization!!! Very different and cool.

• I think to make not only 24p projects with 30p-24p conforming of clips by Olympus and other footage 24pGH2, but to make whole projects with GH2 at 29.97p and Olympus 30p, but my editing software Avid MC not allows me use HBR of GH2, because I'm not able to conform HBR to progressive with any transcoding software, it simple throw second field and footage became less sharp than 720p.

• the cables of any Mic as the rode or others. No problem with zoom h1..

• About what cables are you talking? Zoom H1 near the talking person or Zoom H4n (for DJ or any sound mixer at event or concert)

• Well, i think this is a good option but i don't want any cable around the "set" and at first if i've to work manually is not a problem (a clap at the start and a continue recording with the camera, the problem has gone).

• btw...buy a rode mic and they're giving pluraleyes for free.

• Great! This software looks fantastic! Think i'll go with zoom h1. Thanks to all

• I am syncing external audio (not connected to the camera) about 4 years. It easy with Pluraleyes software. Some clips (about 5%) I sync manually.

• I have a Zoom H1 and it's ok. If you don't like his integrated mics, you could attach another external mic in it and use it only as a recorder.

• So, there's an adapter to connect every mic (as the famous rode videomic?) to the om-d? It's great, but there's a but: is it better to have an external recorder (as can capture audio even a lot far from the camera), isn't it? I saw something about the zoom h1..as i said, i know nothing about audio, really poor clear information about it and i've just started to get some info on internet. The use? I want to take shorts, so something in home, but also something with wind and noise from ambient. Yeah, the budget it's almost over, and yeah, with an external recorder you have to put all together in post...but who cares. So what can you suggest at the end for a simple low budget "system"? Thanks

• @Renovatio Look for the Olympus SEMA-1 for OM-D, this is a accessory to put over the hot shoe of the OM-D or any PEN camera and let you to use external mics and it's come with the ME-51S microphone.

• For me, i would like to ask how to catch the audio with simple and low budget solution, as the em5 does not have an external microphone output. I do not understand nothing about audio, but i wish could do something better than the internal microphone in my shorts. How to render then? Thanks

• I have some problem with 30p with mixed OMD + GH2 projects. I don't want crucify best quality of 24p that I get from GH2 at mixed projects. My editing always at Avid MC not allows me use HBR (25 or 29.97p) because it alway cut second field and 1080p25 video became less sharp than 720p50, so for me HBR 29.97p not acceptable too. I happy with 30p-23.976p rapid slow motion until I need use normal speed because of synced sound (voices). I save so lot of time because best stabilization, I use more lensed handheld that I never though use wit any other camera. So I switch to GH2 multicam ones at every shooting day when people start talking (ceremony etc.) But sometimes I have no time to switch all system, when something unexpected happens at events and I need sound and second camera for B-Cam and same framerate, and the same colors. I decided to buy EPL5 for this case. It only 3 axis stabilization, but I use second camera static.

• Ok found it, it was fn2 button, but i change it to have the teleconvert 2x (useful in video). Fn1 it's my "focus peaking" button :D So great this camera

• Sorry Guys, where can i set curve shadows and lights? Can't find them XD Thanks

• If only Olympus had implemented at least clean hdmi signal for external recorders the OM-D was a great alternative for video recording, but even with the codec limitation is a joy to use ;)

• @Akt > I was surprised OMD looks better and sharper than 5Dmk3 with IPB.< I'm not surprised, the OM-D is sharper than the 5D III and also still underestimated. who accepts 30p - the OM-D is awesome

• I've just order a Sandisk SDHC 45mb/s, 32gb. It could be enough :D

• Thanks act, so happy with my new Om-d :D

• Here is interesting real life test comparison; OMD vs 5Dmk3 at daylight, GH2 (Cluster 6, 24L) vs 5Dmk3 at night and party lights. Steadicam shots is Mark3, tracking shots with slider is OMD. I see huge aliasing problems with Canon, Sharpness on 5Dmk3 was at "0". I was surprised OMD looks better and sharper than 5Dmk3 with IPB.

• I notice problems with codec and bitrate with nature landscapes all-in-focus and flow water only. I use shallow DOF so much as I can, it minimize quantity of information at shot. Sharpness at -2 helps make it too. I always transcoding footage with Mpeg Streamclip to Avid DNxHD codec with bitrate 140 Mb/s 8 bit ( but for grading you can try 180 Mb/s 10 bit) I very surprised but I not feel codec limitations, and my clients and colleagues don't understand why I not use OMD all the time.

• +1, for the same question

• @act

Yours are very professionally made videos. As an EM-5 owner how often do you face its codec limitations? Is it a huge pain or there are ways to get around it?