Personal View site logo
GH2 grain
  • 31 Replies sorted by
  • The red channel is actually the noisiest, not the blue.
    If you want to completely eliminate it, Neat Video, properly applied, will do it. The only downside is it's slow. Neat Video will also clean up ETC mode and make it look perfect.
  • One more thing--have you tried shooting daylight white balance then adjusting the WB in post for your lights? Could be you are getting a lot of blue channel noise, or other WB noise. A long shot, but sometimes part of the noise is WB related.
  • I do notice more grain with the hack. I use smooth as well and notice it in other film modes. I would rather add grain in post if needed.
  • I have exactly the same issue, it gets slightly better if you dial back the sharpening and contrast, but it is always there. I have come to terms with this as follows--for certain scenes (flowing motion), I very slightly prefer the GH1--especially now that 24p is pretty stable--but I realize that most people are not going to notice the difference, or, even stranger from an artistic point of view, if you leave the settings at "0000" many people will like the saturated color and pseudo sharpness. And I have to say, sitting far from the screen, it does look good. It looks real good. But I'm keeping the GH1 for two reasons. Reason one is for sure the grain, reason two is, if someone offered me a camera like that for $375, I would buy it no hesitation.
    The hack for the GH2 is getting better and better, but I think the grain is just a function of the denser sensor. Hey, quite a few ppl really like the GH2 grain. And in certain situations, it does look filmic. While I was testing the Rigs hack today (thanks again), I just shot a few trees in the backyard at ISO 100, popped it into the media player, and like, wow. But hey, realistically, it is a very small difference and the GH2 is a great cam. We notice it because we live with all the time.
    Grain wise, I have been disappointed with ETC. I expected cleaner video. But it is a very handy feature. Cant wait to see the firmware update--maybe they will dial back the in cam processing a tad more and that will split the difference in the grain.
    I also think that we haven't squeezed the max out of the GH1.
    Down the line, either the Canon 5D Mk3 or something similar will lay the grain to rest--you will only add it if you want it. For now, I'm enjoying both cams.
    For sure double check everything in the signal path for and DSP in the chain that might give a bit more grain, but I'm sure you thought of that.
  • I'd say if anything, you'll see much more 'grain' from a hacked, high bitrate GH2 than the stock, as the hack is keeping info that before was being turned into mush. Try cinema at 160 for a change. All but grain free. We usually use smooth, but if you're looking for the cleanest GH2 footage it might be a help.
  • i see no grain in well lit scenes in iso 160. 400 is a different story of course. maybe post some screenshots with grain in iso 160? :)