Personal View site logo
2K BlackMagic Pocket Cinema Camera, active m43, $995
  • 4493 Replies sorted by
  • I never delete a bad take, ever. Sometimes there's gold in that bad take, and worse... if you're in a hurry and you accidentally delete a good take, good deal. That's why you can't delete anything in an Alexa or format in an Alexa.

I guess what I'm saying is that it's not an issue, a design flaw, or anything like that. It's just that some people won't like it and, oh well. Find another camera that you can do that with if it's that important.

@Wilbo

If that Tiffen doesn't have IR built in, stay away. Especially on these cameras.

• Cross-pattern issue is one of the problems with variable ND filters, due to the two-polarizer construction. This review explains that very well... http://www.ephotozine.com/article/tiffen-variable-nd-filter-review-20475

• @kholi ....oh man, so vari-nds are just a no no. I'm going from a tiny Gh2 to the BMCC. I don't want to have to rail it up and throw on a matte box on every time I want to shoot something outside. Um... would this work (BMCC or BMPCC):

http://www.amazon.com/EzFoto-Square-Filter-Compatible-Includes/dp/B00BDJ93JQ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1377196695&sr=8-1&keywords=square+filter+holder

Still tempted to go the Tiffen vari-nd route but I suppose if I don't want to compromise the awesomeness of Blackmagic Cinema, I shouldn't... hmmm...

• I agree with @kholi. If deleting a clip, formatting a card or the peaking color (according to Jem Schofield) were THE problems we had to be very very happy. BMD is giving us an amazing tool at a ridiculous price. We should concentrate on the real issues... like image quality, file handling, sharpness/softness, lens compability/response, reliability, etc, etc... Come on, let's get back to work... LOL.. :P

• @Wilbo Buddy, if you're going to use it for the BMCC, stay away from these Vari NDs. You need an IRND. Look over at BMCuser for the group buy section.

I had the LCW and I did a basic test with it and a Tiffen normal 4x4 ND and a Whitewater and the LCW, and a normal Genus were crap. Horrible color shift and anything past 50mm looked like shit. This was on a GH2 so a BMCC would be worse. The LCW ruined some long shots I did. I considered it a drink coaster at that point.

I do have some 77mm and 4x4 NDs I'll use for my GH2s but not for the BMCC. And as for reviews, I'm pretty much starting to think most are BS. I've had so many opposite findings as these "pro" reviewers have found.

Sorry if I sound so crazy but just a little tired of people telling me I don't know what I'm talking about when I'm looking at the difference on my monitor but I guess if people are just basing it of off one item, they really don't know what they are talking about:) Myself included!!!!!

• I do a lot of on the fly shoots (2 hours of work), grab the gear, go in, go out. Now, occasionally I DO forget to format or somebody rented a cam our so – it HAPPENS that the ability to format the card is crucial in my day to day work. My friend forgot to empty his bmc before a shoot and had to work quickly to get it ready on time (no computer immediately avaialable).

Obviously you get used to quirks like these and implement it into your routine..

It´s just a bit ridiculous, this lack of formatting capability.

• @kholi Great advice on deleting clips! You never know what could save your ass in an edit.

• Why would anyone, ever, preorder a camera and PAY money up front!? Just don´t do it and you won´t feel down when stuff is delayed.

• @vicharris

You don't think about it until it happens to you; it has happened to me. I've also accidentally formatted the wrong card, and I know other people that are far more neurotic than I that have done it as well when being rushed.

Playing with data is NO DAMNED JOKE. The day ends with an insurance claim and the worst stomach ache you'll ever have in your life.

• A bit of purist talk about ND´s here.. Personally I use a heliopan variable ND occasionally (when speed is essential). Is it the best ever made? I´m sure not. Getting the shot is priority no.1 and for day to day handling, in the rough / on the fly I´d never lug around a filter set for 2k.

4x4 Irnd´s from the big brands are far from perfect (color fluctuations between nd steps is quite big). You can use a hot mirror but that too has it´s drawbacks.

I recently heard about a new product, TrueND which seems pretty good, as in very neutral. (might cut away a little too much from the IR spectrum for some cams). A set is 2k.

BY the way, this whole talk about NDs is off subject, isn´t it?

• @vicharris @kholi Ok, I'll snoop around the bmcuser site. Thanks for the ND advice!

• @RRR Also good info to consider, thanks! And yeah, off topic, sorry. It stemmed from that apparently subpar Pocket review with the cute girl.

Back on topic:

POCKET CINEMA, POCKET CINEMA, POCKET CINEMA!!! :)

• And on to PBs review....he's just pissed it doesn't say CANON on the side.

You don't think about it until it happens to you; it has happened to me. I've also accidentally formatted the wrong card, and I know other people that are far more neurotic than I that have done it as well when being rushed. Playing with data is NO DAMNED JOKE. The day ends with an insurance claim and the worst stomach ache you'll ever have in your life.

+1

And this is EXACTLY the argument PB would be making if it did say Canon on the side. But it doesn't... so every last detail is getting bashed.

If it were a $995 Canon RAW cam, the review would have gone something like this...

"Well, you can't format cards in camera... but that's a GOOD thing! On professionals shoots you just don't want to take the risk of accidentally formatting the drive and ruining you precious (and irreplaceable) recorded data! Extra drives are a miniscule price in comparison! Further more, professionals also don't delete clips in camera. That's for bloody amateurs! Thanks in advance for saving me a few headaches Canon!"

Remember the 5DIII review telling people the detail wasn't important because you can magically "sharpen" the footage back to life in post? Yea... right. There is some favoritism and bias going on... we all know it. I don't know why people are surprised anymore.

• @kholi, what IRND do you recommend for the Pocket Cam? Thanks.

• Holy geez that whole sharpening detail back into footage.

@boo

Right now we're all using Tiffen White Water IR NDs but I'm about to do a pretty decent IR test with Schneider, Tiffen, and Formatt, their different makes. Putting together the list literally right this second and about to pull the NDs out.

Will likely have a BPC next week to thrash from now on so will do it with that, BV1, then head on to Epic and Alexa.

I'm pretty sure Tiffen White Waters will be the best bet for BPC and BV1, but I the test will be good to have.

Also, yeah it's kind of off topic but this stuff is important when it comes to maximizing image quality. Maybe it's time to start a new topic.

On Topic:

S16s look really great on the camera.

• I think IRND is a valid subject here since it really matters on these BMCCs. And people should know it softens the image when others are doing reviews on this came. Like I said, many of them soften the image drastically on anything over 50mm on a GH2 so what will that equal for the pocket cam? Doesn't really leave much wiggle room in terms of lenses where the image will not be destroyed. If anyone thinks these Vari NDs don't destroy an image, just go out and shoot something with one then a normal ND. Put on anything over 50 or prob 35 on this camera, bring it into your computer and push in just a little. It's really easy to see on trees and branches. I'll never let something as easily controllable as NDs ruin a shot for me again. Too many other things to worry about :)

• @Wilbo

You know, there will be some adult cinema in my pocket when the cam finally arrives.. for starters. ;-)

• So much info here, hope my pocket cam will come soon, is anyone here in nyc by any chance that had order a pocketcam?

• That should be Water White, by the way. I always get it backward =B Hur

• @vicharris

Yes, vari-ND´s inevitably produce artifacts but it´s up to each and everyone to determine what´s important in any given situation.. I fully agree on awareness re: softening factor on tests / reviews however, I take most of this stuff with a fistful of salt (and I think it´s wise of others to do the same for now). I feel the bmc and I have no doubt I will feel the pocket cam when I get to use it.. It sometimes seems like some people have too little to do, so they worry about all kinds of more or less irrelevant stuff.

Though a topic on ND´s, IRND´s and Hot mirrors e.t.c. is relevant for more than one camera.. On topic? Well, sort of, but it also warrants its own discussion as a good future resource.

One thing which strikes me is how many don´t seem to notice the flaws in the lenses that have been used in a lot of the test footage from the pocket cam so far.. A lot of the talk about softness comes from that, I believe. I really would like to endorse Nomad´s thread on lens tests for the pocket cam for that reason. We need more of that; structured testing and less of ordinary, everyday footage (after all, we know how this cam is going to look, more or less, from the 2.5k / full sensor version. If you like the look of the bmc, you most likely will like the look of the pocket cam. What is uncertain, is which lenses will be a good fit. (and that is something a potential buyer can find really useful)

• @kholi

On behalf of the entire online filmmaking community... what will it take for you to stop saying "BV1" and "BPC"? :) lol, seriously bro, you're a helpful guy and all... but those abbreviations are confusing and not even logical, considering the full name of all of the BMD cameras. Since I'm familiar with the different forums, I know what you're talking about, but noobs and lurkers must think that BV1 is some new camera that only you have.

The rest of the world is using the logical abbreviations, BMCC, BMPCC, BMPC4K. Not that hard to add another 1, 2 or 3 characters to your abbreviation for clarity's sake. :) Plus, it's better for search engines.

• Hey there guys, I downloaded John Brawleys' Ravens proRES HQ 6 video files - thank U mr. - available from his website/blog just to fool around with them... as if I knew what I was doing. Must say I had a calibrated nothing, did it all with the usual quick&dirty style and just for the fun used and abused of everything I felt like. Also I used @TrakZillas ' grandmother grain recipe ;-)

Though I did it 4 myself, thought of sharing the botched job jajaj, who knows I may learn something... thick scull you know?!!
    As hard as I tried I am unable to embed video here, so I'll just paste a link BMPCC_jb_ravens_grade-test

small screen grabs

• @TGDude Didn't know the filmmaking community had a spokesperson.

I think search engines and lurkers will find this thread just fine despite Kholi using BV1/BPC.

• BMPCC and Nokton 25mm 0.95:

• Seemed kinda noisy. Did BMCC have the same low light performance?