Personal View site logo
GH2 High Quality GOP3 Settings, Series 2: 'AN' Valkyrie, GOLGOP3-13, GOP3ZILLA, Duke, natural :-)
  • 670 Replies sorted by
  • @bkmcwd I am having a hard time figuring out what is what here. There's so much to chose from it is a tad confusing. I did use GOLGOP3-13 from way back in April so I am assuming the latest release should be the best and greatest.

So my question is what is the difference between Max2 and A2? I am specifically interested in good motion from 720p PAL mode.

All the best

Richard

• @towi

Many thanks for feedbacks from you, mate. :-)

I know that you like my Spizz T4. And I can understand that you like the BETA1 in the Duke BETA series.

In both those, GOP table that prioritizes static is adopted. I do not deny it, but the GOP table have a static priority, bit rate may somewhat decrease in motion. Since I'm always aiming the best balance between motion and static, personally, I do not have a preference so much GOP table of Spizz T4.

BTW, how is it about new GOLGOP3-13s?

Many many thanks again.

• @rsquires

Thanks for your question. :-)

So my question is what is the difference between Max2 and A2?

*'MAX' version and 'A' version are completely the same except 24p.

In a nutshell the difference in 24p is "whether the playback in the camera is possible".

In the MAX version, providing higher image quality by using the huge I-frame that can not play back in the camera.

In the A version, providing high image quality with the I-frame of the maximum that can be played back in the camera.

• @bkmcwd

UPDATE: 7-16-2013

I retested your updated patch Valkyrie 444 TZ4 BETA3 with the DEATH CHART with the following settings and lenses.

Sandisk Extreme Pro 64GB 95MB/s card Panasonic 20mm 1.7 @ F2.2, ISO 160, Minolta Rokkor X PG 1.4 @ F2, ISO 160, White Balance Set at Daylight Balance Setting Video Mode in Fully Manual with no i-DRC or iA modes.

Valkyrie 444 TZ4 BETA3:

HBR30p mode = Recorded the DEATH CHART for 15 minutes no issues or freezing etc so I stopped the recording.

24P H Mode = Recorded the DEATH CHART for 15 minutes no issues or freezing etc so I stopped the recording.

カメラのファームウェアを更新していただきありがとうございます。

ナナオ

• @bkmcwd Thanks. Makes sense really.

Would you say that GOLGOP3 is good for 720p high motion. It seems very robust in shooting fast motion without mud. So I am pretty happy, but if anyone wants to chime in with a better patch, I'd be interested

• @Azo

Many thanks for feedback again! :-)

HBR30p mode = Recorded the DEATH CHART for 15 minutes no issues or freezing etc so I stopped the recording.

24P H Mode = Recorded the DEATH CHART for 15 minutes no issues or freezing etc so I stopped the recording.

Very good. The feedback from you helped me very much.

• @rsquires

Thanks for your comment. :-)

if anyone wants to chime in with a better patch, I'd be interested

Please also try latest Duke and Valkyrie 444 TZ4, supposing you are interested.

• UPDATE(2013/07/22):I have released Valkyrie 444 TYPE-ZERO4 Lite BETA4.2 http://www.personal-view.com/talks/discussion/comment/134461#Comment_134461

UPDATE(2013/07/22):I have released Valkyrie 444 TYPE-ZERO4 BETA4.2 http://www.personal-view.com/talks/discussion/comment/134461#Comment_134461

Valkyrie 444 TYPE-ZERO4 & Lite BETA4

bkmcwd "Valkyrie 444 TYPE-ZERO4 BETA4" (Standard) - seta.ini - Released 18/07/2013

bkmcwd "Valkyrie 444 TYPE-ZERO4 Lite BETA4" - setb.ini - Released 18/07/2013

bkmcwd Valkyrie 444 TYPE-ZERO4 BETA4.zip
    bkmcwd Valkyrie 444 TYPE-ZERO4 Lite BETA4.zip
    Valkyrie_444_TZ4_BETA4_24p_ISO800_room_sp_qp.JPG
    1296 x 632 - 528K
  • Duke BETA4

bkmcwd "Duke_BETA4" - sete.ini - Released 18/07/2013

"Duke" is a new setting based on the new concept, but it is in the structure high reliability at the same time.

If the character of Duke is denoted by a word, it may be said that it is "middle of the GOLGOP3-13 and GOP3ZILLA".

Or more simply, it will be the setting "which raised resolving of GOLGOP3-13 more."

For the Suites by, I am not sure yet whether the best in this. However, I think that both of GOLGOP3-13 and GOP3ZILLA users are pleased with this.

Previously, I prepared the standard type and the Lite type also in Duke . However, even in the "standard" type, in-camera playback is possible almost, this update is only in the "Standard". If you need a "Lite" type, then I will also provide it.

Please tell me your impressions! If this is also still unstable, I will further adjust. :-)

*The original matrix is adopted in the newest Duke.

*24H and 24L are high quality 3GOP setting with mega size I-frames in Duke.

*24p80%(30p) is available in only 24L.

*60i, 50i, HBR30p and HBR25p are also high quality and stable 3GOP settings.

*720/50p and 720/60p are 6GOP. It has tuned up so that the bit rate at the time of motion may go up rather than the scene of statics.

*I especially recommend you use with SanDisk 95MB/s 64GB SDXC card.

*In camera playback is available in all rec mode, at least available after reboot the camera.(Not tested full yet, but probably)

*EX Tele works.(Not tested full yet, but probably)

*iA mode works in 1080/50i, HBR25p, 720/50p modes.You need to be careful in 720/60p and 1080/60i. (Not tested full yet, but probably)

*i-Dynamic Range Control is not often available in 720/60p and 1080/60i.(You must be careful when using it in these modes.)

*Spanning in 24H, 24L with SanDisk 95MB/s 64GB SDXC Card. Also in other rec mode, almost available.(Not tested full yet, but probably)

*Spanning in other cards needs to be tested.

bkmcwd Duke_BETA4.zip
    Duke_BETA4_24p_ISO800_room_sp_qp.JPG
    1297 x 633 - 522K
  • GOLGOP3-13-MAX2_BETA10 and GOLGOP3-13-A2_BETA10

bkmcwd "GOLGOP3-13-MAX2_BETA10" - seth.ini - Released 18/07/2013

bkmcwd "GOLGOP3-13-A2_BETA10" - seti.ini - Released 18/07/2013

@ GOLGOP3-13 lovers :-)

I release the new "GOLGOP3-13-A2" and "GOLGOP3-13-MAX2" settings.

All of these matrices are the same as before. The changed parts are in 1080i and 720p.

*These are given the same tuning as "Duke" so that the bit rate may go up in 24p rather than the previous BETA versions.

*These have passed the continuation zooming test for 6 minutes or more with Panny AF lens.

*About spanning, these have not fully been verified yet.

*Please try them! And many thanks for feedbacks from you!

*If these are also still unstable, I will further adjust.

Special thanks to All silent users of my settings! :-)

And especially thanks to Nick @driftwood. :-)

*Of course, already combined with excellent audio tune @thepalalias's "Pasadena_Pulse_Audio_V2_Beta2"

NOTE:

*'MAX' version and 'A' version are completely the same except 24p.

*The original matrix is adopted in the newest GOLGOP3-13s. It is the middle of a Sedna matrix and a stock character. If I say plainly, it will be the Sedna matrix optimized in 3GOP structure.

*24H and 24L are high quality 3GOP setting with mega size I-frames in GOLGOP3-13-A2.

*24H and 24L are high quality 3GOP setting with super mega size I-frames in GOLGOP3-13-MAX2.

*24p80%(30p) is available in only 24L (MAX2).

*60i, 50i, HBR30p and HBR25p are also high quality and stable 3GOP settings.

*720/50p and 720/60p are 6GOP. It has tuned up so that the bit rate at the time of motion may go up rather than the time of statics.

*In camera playback is available in all rec mode except 24p of GOLGOP3-13-MAX2, at least available after reboot the camera.(Not tested full yet, but probably)

*EX Tele, iA mode work.(Not tested full yet, but probably) (Take care only in 60fps modes)

*Spanning in 24H, 24L with SanDisk 95MB/s 64GB SDXC Card. Also in other rec mode, almost available.(Not tested full yet, but probably)

*Spanning in other cards needs to be tested.

bkmcwd GOLGOP3-13-MAX2_BETA10.zip
    bkmcwd GOLGOP3-13-A2_BETA10.zip
    GOLGOP3-13-MAX2_BETA10_24p_ISO800_room_sp_qp.JPG
    1295 x 633 - 501K
    GOLGOP3-13-A2_24p_ISO800_room_sp_qp.JPG
    1296 x 634 - 555K
  • I updated five settings to the occasion which improved 24p of Valkyrie 444 TZ4 in response to the request from @Azo.

Specifically, I tried to adopt also in the 24p theory has been adopted in rec modes other than 24p.

It is the same from previous versions other than 24p.

Explanation will be added later.

Many thanks to @Azo. :-)

• @bkmcwd

UPDATE: 7-18-2013: Valkyrie 444 TYPE-ZERO4 BETA 4=Death Screen Test

I retested your updated patch Valkyrie 444 TYPE-ZERO4 BETA 4 with the DEATH CHART with the following settings and lenses.

Sandisk Extreme Pro 64GB 95MB/s card Panasonic 20mm 1.7 @ F4, ISO 640, Shutter Speed 50/60, White Balance Set to Daylight Balance Setting, Video Mode in Fully Manual with no i-DRC or iA modes.

24P H Mode Shutter speed 50 = Recorded the DEATH CHART for 30 minutes no issues or freezing etc so I stopped the recording. Repeated the test again with same results.

HBR30p mode Shutter speed 60 = In this recording mode the results were inconsistent while recording DEATH CHART... The first recording stopped at 7 minutes, camera frozen had to pull battery. The second test recorded for 14 minutes before the camera froze, I had to pull the battery on this one as well. I repeated the test for a total of 6 times with similar results.

I am not sure if anything that I would film would stress the camera as much as the DEATH SCREEN. But it is definitely reassuring to know that it can pass this test. Thanks again for updating the patches.

カメラのファームウェアを更新していただきありがとうございます。

Best Regards

• @Azo

Many thanks for feedbacks, mate! :-)

I will send PM re HBR30p. I am improving it now.

• UPDATE(2013/07/22):I have released Valkyrie 444 TYPE-ZERO4 Lite BETA4.2 http://www.personal-view.com/talks/discussion/comment/134461#Comment_134461

UPDATE(2013/07/22):I have released Valkyrie 444 TYPE-ZERO4 BETA4.2 http://www.personal-view.com/talks/discussion/comment/134461#Comment_134461

Valkyrie 444 TYPE-ZERO4.1 & Lite BETA4.1

bkmcwd "Valkyrie 444 TYPE-ZERO4 BETA4.1" (Standard) - seta.ini - Released 20/07/2013

bkmcwd "Valkyrie 444 TYPE-ZERO4 Lite BETA4.1" - setb.ini - Released 20/07/2013

*Only 1080i/HBR was changed from BETA4. :-)

bkmcwd Valkyrie 444 TYPE-ZERO4 BETA4.1.zip
    bkmcwd Valkyrie 444 TYPE-ZERO4 Lite BETA4.1.zip
  • I shot with the Valkyrie 444 TYPE-ZERO4 last night. It worked great except when I tried to shoot in 720 at 60fps for a slow motion shot, it froze up very quickly and the video file was corrupted. I am not sure if that is normal for this hack though, as I haven't read through all of the pages. In 24p it worked great though :)

• @rahorto

Many thanks for trying Valkyrie! :-)

when I tried to shoot in 720 at 60fps for a slow motion shot, it froze up very quickly and the video file was corrupted.

Based on the feedback from you, I will improve it further. Many thanks for replying the following questions.

Could you tell me which version did you try? There are already some BETA versions also in TZ4.

And would you also tell me the card which you used? In my verification, it is not available in cards other than SanDisk 95MB/s SDXC.

Furthermore, did you use the iA and i-DRC? Even in the latest BETA4.1, iA mode and i-DRC is not available in only 720/60p.

Finally, in what kind of scene did it freeze? Close-up or wide shot?

Thanks! :-)

• Valkyrie 444 TYPE-ZERO4.2 & Lite BETA4.2

bkmcwd "Valkyrie 444 TYPE-ZERO4 BETA4.2" (Standard) - seta.ini - Released 22/07/2013

bkmcwd "Valkyrie 444 TYPE-ZERO4 Lite BETA4.2" - setb.ini - Released 22/07/2013

*Only 720/50p,60p were changed from BETA4.1. :-)

This TYPE-ZERO4 is also the version as which "balance of gradation and resolving" was considered in all the modes. (Scaling Matrices are the same as TZ3 or previous Lite.)

I think that the freezing issue at the moment of the focusing and zooming was solved nearly perfectly also in Panny lens use.

Please try it! And I am very glad if I can get feedbacks from you.

*If this is also still unstable, I will further adjust.

Special thanks to @Azo, @towi and all silent users of my settings! :-)

Of course, many thanks to @cbrandin and KING @driftwood!

• Superb-looking Pure Original 444 matrix from cbrandin is adopted in 24p mode

• Modified 444 matrix from my BETA Team in Japan is adopted in HBR/1080i and 720p modes

• Upto 140M for Top Quality 1080p24 at Q18 / 'Standard'

• Upto 140M for Top Quality 1080p30 at Q18 in 24L mode with 80% Slow-Motion Mode (No Sound) / 'Standard'

• Upto 110M for Top Quality 1080p24 at Q18 / 'Lite'

• Upto 140M(110x1.25=137.5M) for Top Quality 1080p30 at Q18 in 24H mode with 80% Slow-Motion Mode (No Sound) / 'Lite'

• Upto 75M for Top Quality HBR/FSH modes

• Upto 75M for Top Quality 720/50p modes

• Upto 75M for Top Quality 720/60p modes

• Extremely reliable top performance in AVCHD 24H and 24L

• 80% Slow-Motion is available in 24L only with 'Standard'

• 80% Slow-Motion is available in 24H and 24L both with 'Lite'

• Fully working iA and iDynamic range modes if you require them (Take care only in 720/60p)

• Beautiful 3 GOP bringing short GOP style detail & movement-rendition in all the modes

• Bush of Death / Death chart tested.

• Wonderful Pasadena Pulse Audio Patch V2 B2, by Per Lichtman

• Top quality 2K mjpeg Mode in HD by Nick Driftwood

• In camera playback is sometimes not available in 24p. In other mode, Sometimes available after reboot the camera.

*Supposing you use "SH" mode safely in 60p, please turn OFF iA and i dynamic range control. On the other hand, in other rec modes, it is satisfactory at all.

*Please DL original raw data from vimeo site to look the REAL IQ.

bkmcwd Valkyrie 444 TYPE-ZERO4 BETA4.2.zip
    bkmcwd Valkyrie 444 TYPE-ZERO4 Lite BETA4.2.zip
    Valkyrie_444_TZ4_BETA4.2_24p_ISO160_sunflower_sp_qp.JPG
    1298 x 633 - 547K
    Valkyrie_444_TZ4_BETA4.2_HBR30p_ISO160_sunflower_sp_qp.JPG
    1296 x 632 - 578K
    Valkyrie_444_TZ4_BETA4.2_60p_ISO160_sunflower_sp_qp.JPG
    1298 x 635 - 542K
  • *These are results of the usual SteadiCam work. :-)

Valkyrie_444_TZ4_BETA4.2_24p_ISO160_forest_sp_qp.JPG
    1299 x 633 - 527K
    Valkyrie_444_TZ4_BETA4.2_HBR30p_ISO160_forest_sp_qp.JPG
    1297 x 635 - 591K
    Valkyrie_444_TZ4_BETA4.2_60p_ISO160_forest_sp_qp.JPG
    1297 x 634 - 566K
  • Hi guys,

whay you would suggest to not have any limit of recording, with a 45mb/s Sd card? I'm having problems with some drifwood, cannot going on after 11 minutes (more or less), and i would like to try some different solutions (having problems with FM and Premiere CS6...)

THANKS SO MUCH

• @Renovatio

whay you would suggest to not have any limit of recording, with a 45mb/s Sd card?

Honestly, since I myself do not have the card, I hardly know the result in it. However, the feedbacks about the use in the card are got from the users of my settings. Please try some of my newest settings on a trial.

*Valkyrie 444 TYPE-ZERO4.2 & Lite BETA4.2
    http://www.personal-view.com/talks/discussion/comment/134461#Comment_134461

*GOLGOP3-13-MAX2_BETA10 and GOLGOP3-13-A2_BETA10
    http://www.personal-view.com/talks/discussion/comment/134008#Comment_134008

*Duke BETA4
    http://www.personal-view.com/talks/discussion/comment/134006#Comment_134006

Valkyrie 444 TZ4 Lite BETA4.2 or GOLGOP3-13-A2 BETA10 may be suitable.

• @bkmcwd

Hi Mate!

Sorry for the late reply ...

I know that you like my Spizz T4. And I can understand that you like the BETA1 in the Duke BETA series. In both those, GOP table that prioritizes static is adopted. I do not deny it, but the GOP table have a static priority, bit rate may somewhat decrease in motion. Since I'm always aiming the best balance between motion and static, personally, I do not have a preference so much GOP table of Spizz T4.

Well, actually I do not agree ... or maybe I don't understand what you mean by "GOP table that prioritizes static".

I do understand that the ratio of I-Frames and B-Frames can be controlled by adjusting the GOP tables. However, for instance in Duke Beta 1 I do get larger I-Frames AND larger B-Frames than in Duke Beta 4 (which runs stable in HBR/25p mode by the way :-) ...) and also motion looks pretty smooth. In fact I feel Duke Beta 1 is very "sensitive" to motion. As long as nothing moves, I do get large I-Frames and small B-Frames (as supposed to) but as soon as there is some motion in the scene I-Frames drop and B-Frames go up. So the setting doesn't force the codec to produce large I-Frames (at the price of too small B-Frames). All in all I feel the balance is just right in Duke Beta 1. Duke Beta 4 just reduces everything (frame size and bitrate).

In fact I do like larger I-Frames (since large I-Frames avoid compression artifacts) ... but as long as B-Frames are large enough to show smooth motion everything seems to work just fine... for me personally. And Duke Beta 1 is also really very, very good in lowlight (in HBR/25p).

Attached Streamparser screenshots of Duke Beta 1 vs. Duke Beta 4 - as you can see the ratio of I- and B-Frames is pretty much the same (on the codec torture test) ... but in Duke Beta 1 I get larger I-Frames as well as larger B-Frames. This is especially true for lowkey scenes (62M in Beta 1 versus 53M in Beta 4 in a lowkey scene with only little details to resolve due to very narrow deapth of field / large aperture).

My favorite all around setting would be Spizz-T4 with Duke Beta 1 capabilities for lowkey scenes :-)

But again, maybe I did get you wrong since it is not entirely clear to me what you are referring to with "static" ...

Cheers!

(note: the codec torture streams show the very same sequence while the lowkey streams show different but comparable scenes under the very same lighting conditions and with camera movement [pans])

duke1_hbr_codectorture_Frames4.PNG
    746 x 412 - 48K
    duke4_hbr_codectorture_Frames4.PNG
    746 x 412 - 48K
    duke1_lowlight_tungsten_Frames.PNG
    746 x 412 - 50K
    duke4_hbr_lowkey_Frames.PNG
    746 x 412 - 49K
  • @towi

Thanks for your explain, mate! :-)

Well, actually I do not agree ... or maybe I don't understand what you mean by "GOP table that prioritizes static".

About this, my words were lacking. I feel the tendency for the GOP table in which greater importance is attached than to the B-frame to the I-frame. to be adopted was among the sets which you liked in the past. Does not make a lot of sense in itself. I understood your opinion, of course.

BTW, I will explain, even in the PAL side, why I think BETA4 is better than BETA1.

If there is no freezing problem in too high the bit rate at the moment of span, I also like BETA1. However, too high the bit rate drops a video buffer, and a risk of as a result freezing at the moment of span becomes large.

These are the result of altered the GOP table of BETA4 respectively. In "3.0.0.3.15.15" and "3.0.0.3.18.18", video buffer will fall in death chart. There is no problem, if all the people using Duke are not made to span. However, I myself aim at the "stable" setting in the first place.

And the result of BETA4("6.0.0.6.15.15") is very good to compare the NTSC side. Since there are many common parameters at NTSC and PAL, these balance is also important.

Probably, it will be satisfactory that the expert uses BETA1, after understanding the above situation. However, I dared to have explained these for the general user.

Many thanks again.

Duke_25p_GOPTable=3.0.0.3.15.15_PAL.png
    1073 x 1452 - 1M
    Duke_25p_GOPTable=3.0.0.3.18.18_PAL.png
    1074 x 1456 - 1M
    Duke_25p_GOPTable=6.0.0.6.15.15_PAL.png
    1074 x 1458 - 1M
    Duke_BETA4_HBR30p_GOPTable=6.0.0.6.18.18_NTSC.JPG
    1297 x 631 - 535K
  • @bkmcwd

many thanks for the detailed reply, Mate! :-)

I've successfully tested spanning with Duke Beta 1 in HBR/25p mode (on a pretty demanding scene utilizing ~70M)... however this was with auto-anything turned off (as you know)... it stopped recording at the third 4.29GB file. Shooting somewhat less demanding scenes it spans until the cards is full.

• @towi

Thanks for feedback, mate! :-)

You could use BETA1 satisfactorily, since you are an expert.

• @bkmcwd Many thanks for your GOP 3 Spizz T6 input Katsu. Its looking really good (24p is incredible!). Great team effort. Thank you.

Start New Topic

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google Sign In with OpenID

Sign In Register as New User

Tags in Topic

Top Posters