Personal View site logo
Panasonic GX7 aka GX2, with IBIS topic
  • 499 Replies sorted by
  • OMD used to support ibis for oly panny lenses. After firmware update, it supports all lenses. If it overheats, just turn it off.

A magnesium body, ibis, 1/8000, tilting evf, better lcd, peaking, wireless ttl, etc.

Just get it.

• Well, i saw some videos about the omd em5 on vimeo and youtube, ibis seems to work well in video..

• @Renovatio we don't know about a lot of stuff about the GX7, such as does it have focus peaking? Plus it will never have a swivel screen, obviously! So I reckon I can fairly confidently say the G6 is a better deal for video.

@double_vision depends on your purposes..... do you care about photography? If you say no, then get the BMPCC! I got the GX1 myself, not so much for video (but it will make a handy B cam to my GH1 I reckon), but so that I then have a small camera I can easily always carry around with me for photography :-D

• This camera or the pocket cinema? Any thoughts?

• As far as I remember it does not work in video in EM5. But I can be wrong here.

Yeah, in the EM-5 IBIS work with video - very well, indeed. Much better than OIS in the Panny lenses, reports says. Don't know about this cooling issue, though. Never saw complainings about it with the E-M5, but I guess that the camera was never used for long video sessions because with its so-so video (compared to a Panny G camera).

• @Renovatio

As far as I remember it does not work in video in EM5. But I can be wrong here.

As for IBIS and video. IBIS usually degrade image quality as sensor cooling is usually much worse.

• For example the Ibis in the omd em5 isn't good?

• @IronFilm seems to be the only advantage, too. Anyway i would like to know why ibis it's not good for video..

• @Cde a huge advantage of the G6 over the GX7 is that the G6 is significantly cheaper!

• I'm changing my mind at the whim of winds. But GX6 looks fuking awesome.

• @No_SuRReNDeR Probably will take better pics than GH2 - I use it for photography too and it's not a strong point of GH2 - if the sensor is really new; since the rumours sometimes says "16Mp" and sometimes "18Mp", could be a revamped GH2 multi-aspect sensor (which have 18Mp for multi-aspect but uses 16Mp for photo).

Will have to wait for the reviews to be sure. I guess that it's a new sensor - from Panasonic, or they will use the Sony sensor from GH3 - then it will be great for photo, since it's the same sensor from Olympus OM-D (which I intent to buy for photos).

• I want to be 100% Micro Four Thirds including my photography.... What I want to know is will this take better pics than GH2 or am I throwing money in the toilet switch bodies... I will be shooting on the Black magic primarily for video so this isnt a concern for me...

Thought on this as far as photography goes...guys?

• this and a blackmagic pocket cinema camera could be such an amazing low profile documentary kit with high quality stills and video if this is on a par with the gh3 and even better if it has better colour rendition less of that magenta look... and if this gets hacked :O

• G6 or GX7... That's the question!!!

• The human race (as in species, not in speeding) gives us a truly amazing spectacle. The discussion over there is going in these tones:

1 - WTF! Why didn't they include 5 axis stabilization?

2 - WTF! It looks like a Fuji.

3 - WTF! We need GH5 sensor! (as they are still clueless if it's GH2, GH3 or G6 tech, yet they DO KNOW it takes shitty pictures)

4 - WTF! Why does the EVF need to be tilted to be used???

5 - WTF! Only 1 dial??? (I guessed they never used a Panasonic).

6 - SHIT! Only 4 programmable buttons??? The G6 has 5 (which is 25% better)!

7 - SHIT. The EVF rubber cup is made of rubber! :O

8 - (new) SHIT! It's too SMALL!!!

I haven't had such good laughs since Monty Python in the early 80's. I'm adding my own runts now. I'm asking for a tilt and shift battery/SD compartment as it's absolutely paramount for me to buy it. :)

• "same video quality as gh3" - this made me laugh we barely know what it looks like and already it is practically "Gospel" that it has the same video quality.

• @duartix

Yep, discussing guests and rumors. Can be fun.

• 43rumors says "same video quality as gh3" - does that mean the gh3 codecs will be in the gx7 ?

• and it looks to be the gh2 sensor with multi aspect enabled
  • That classical strap lugs would need a pair of metal rings for sure which would make it look more classical, but another source of possible noise. Not surprisingly GX is more photo centric.

• Panasonic ugly and very unhandy straps again.

• Fuji design elements seem to be molded into GX7. It looks cool.

• I should know better, but I have high hopes for this.