Personal View site logo
4K and UltraHD Stuff, Cinemas, Camcorders, TVs
  • 246 Replies sorted by
  • @fix renderers don't work the way you're describing, or only do if you're using a very bad renderer or relying on low-resolution textures to define your surfaces. Folks rendering with something like Renderman have always been rendering sub-pixel detail and shading under even the most nominal settings. That's the beauty of the micropolygon, REYES style renderer (like Pixar's PRman and SESI's Mantra).

Plus, assuming a lower threshold of, say, only 3x3 oversampling, even a crude, brute-force renderer is generally doing 6K renders and filtering down for 2K final images and why CGI always has to even then be blurred to fit in with a digital scan, because the CGI image represents a more true "2K" image than a 2K film scan or CCD frame, because they're not sampling in the same way. Nyquist, and all that jazz. This is also why the GH2 is able to achieve higher sharpness and detail than a Canon that line-skips, for instance.

Anyway, good quality renderers, like Renderman, aren't interpolating. Its shading is resolution independent and shaders that aren't limited to bit-mapped 2D textures are as well.

Panasonic 4K prototype at CES

• Sony shows a fake prototype 4K prosumer camera so a day later Panasonic has to show a fake prototype too. Most important but not explained is what 4K will be compressed at and with what codec.

• Rey Roque, Westinghouse Digital’s marketing senior VP, said that just as the company brought high-resolution value to the first 1080p HD sets, it is now poised to bring value to Ultra HD.

Unlike the currently available $20,000-plus 84-inch Ultra HD sets from LG and Sony, Westinghouse is going to offer its sets starting in the first quarter at the bargain suggested retail prices of $2,499 for the 50-inch set, $3,000 for the 55-inch set and $3,995 for the 65-inch set

Via: http://www.twice.com/articletype/news/westinghouse-brings-value-4k-ultra-hd-tvs/104595

My understanding is that they are made by Chinese manufacturers with their own panels.

• finshed a real 4k (3840x2160) streaming demo, made with stage3d, multithreading and stageVideo in flash. impossible in html5. for streaming container i wrap all in HLS and use our mpegTS decoder, also in flash. no streaming server required and 40% less cpu load then youtube. for mobile fallback i use an 720p hls stream with 1.5 mbit. the 4k, believe it or not, uses only 3.5mbit/sec. only had time to test it with big ATI and nvidia gfx cards. cant wait to get red 4kplayer and sdk in my hands :)

Check at http://onlinelib.de/4kstreamingdemo.html

• Can't wait for 4k computer monitors at 40+ inches. The only way 4k will make a noticable improved experience imo. No more need for multiple monitors.

• Eutelsat is launching a dedicated demonstration Ultra HD channel for Europe on the Eutelsat 10A satellite.

The first transmissions of content filmed in 4K will start on Tuesday, January 8. Delivering a resolution of eight million pixels, four times the resolution of HDTV, Ultra HD (4K) is poised to mark the next big leap forward in the immersive viewing experience.

Via: http://www.broadbandtvnews.com/2013/01/07/eutelsat-launches-europes-first-4k-channel/

• BBC makes wildlife series in 4k!

Survival will feature meerkats and other wild animals in 4K video, which will give the programmes a more “cinematic” look, The Independent has reported.

But viewers will need a new television to watch the series in 4K – and the sets have only just begun to be sold in Britain.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/tvandradio/9828573/BBC-films-meerkats-using-new-ultra-high-definition-4K.html

• Innolux has plans to release 28-inch LCD Ultra HD (3840 by 2160) monitor panels in 2013, according to company president JC Wang.

Wang also confirmed that industry rumors regarding Innolux producing 42-inch Ultra HD TV panels are true, and that the company has been shipping 39-, 50-, 58- and 65-inch Ultra HD TV panels since March

via: digitimes

• Taiwan-based panel makers' low-cost 50-inch Ultra HD TV panels are expected to drop in pricing from US$540 to US$510 in June 2013, according to industry sources.

The drop in pricing means that TV vendors are likely to further drop pricing for Ultra HD units, and that the gap between Full HD and Ultra HD TV prices will further close. At present, mid-range 50-inch Full HD TV panels are priced at US$340 while high-end ones of the same size are priced at US$369. Ultra HD TVs sized 50-inch meanwhile are priced at around CNY$8,500 (US$1,385) in the China market.

Via: http://www.digitimes.com/news/a20130611PD208.html

• China-based TV vendors are becoming increasingly interested in selling Ultra HD products and are reportedly selling the technology for only about 20-50% higher in price compared to their Full HD units, according to market observers.

Some of the vendors include TCL, Skyworth and Haier, which are dropping prices to as low as 1.2 times (20%) the amount of their Full HD units amid decreasing prices for Ultra HD TV panels, the observers said.

The observers said this is in stark contrast to international vendors that are selling Ultra HD units for about 2-3 times the price of their Full HD units.

Via: http://www.digitimes.com/news/a20130625PD207.html

And this is just firms using business opportunity.

• 4K phone is coming soon

The Honami brings a new UI, new app drawer and a new launcher. There is even a new Walkman app with unlimited music streaming available.

The build.prop also reveals some of the specs on the phone such as the 20MP camera and the 4000 x 2000 resolution (4K) that video is recorded in. There also appear to be a number of Augmented Reality modes that can be activated through the camera.

There is some speculation that the Sony i1 Honami will be introduced during a Sony event in Paris on July 4th.

• Panasonic AVC-Ultra updated with 4K support, up to 444 12bpp, hardware comes in 2014.

http://pro-av.panasonic.net/en/sales_o/p2/AVC-ULTRA_obverview_rev1.0.pdf

• Sharp Corporation will introduce into the Japanese market a new 32-inch-class LCD monitor, the PN-K322B. This professional-use monitor features an originally developed high-sensitivity, high-precision touchscreen and delivers 4K resolution (3,840 × 2,160 pixels)-a level of resolution four times that of full HD.

The PN-K322B is Sharp's latest ultra-high-definition display. Its high-precision touchscreen allows accurate onscreen handwriting of fine text and lines, with writing performed via a dedicated touch pen with a pen-tip width of just 2 mm. The display also supports multi-touch operation.

Thanks to IGZO technology and an edge-lit LED backlight, the PN-K322B boasts a slender profile with a thickness of just 36 mm*2-the thinnest in its class. An included stand allows the monitor to slide easily between two angles depending on the application: vertical for viewing the monitor or low-angle for onscreen writing and touchscreen operation.

The PN-K322B features a palm cancellation function that prioritizes pen input even when the user's hand is resting on the touchscreen. Input connectors on the PN-K322B are compatible with the latest DisplayPort™ and HDMI™ interface specifications, enabling the monitor to display*3 4K ultra-HD content delivered from a PC via a single-cable connection.

Date of introduction in Japan July 30, 2013, Monthly production 250 units

• In the Taiwan market, retail channels have cut LCD TV prices to promote sales. Retail prices for Taiwan-made 50-inch LED-backlit models have fallen over 30% to below NT$25,000 (US$829). 55-inch model have dropped nearly 30% to about NT$35,000.

Samsung Electronics will open pre-orders for its new line of Ultra HD TVs starting in late July in North America, with shipments expected to begin in early August.

Samsung is releasing 55- and 65-inch Ultra HD TVs, with the 55-inch unit expected to be priced at US$5,500 and the 65-inch unit at US$7,500.

• According to a source speaking to Dutch site Tweakers.net, which has been spot on with a previous Dell leak, a new laptop known as the M3800 is set to join Dell's Precision range of workstations. An Intel Core i7-4702MQ (Haswell) processor will reportedly power the M3800, with a 2GB NVIDIA Quadro K1100M GPU taking care of graphics. It's expected to come with up to 16GB of RAM, a 1TB hard drive or 512MB SSD and two options for the 15.6-inch screen: a 3,200 x 1,800 resolution or a 1080p panel as the base option.

• Dell UltraSharp 32 is a 32-inch Ultra HD unit that wields a 3,840 x 2,160 IGZO panel sorting 1.07 billion colors. An aluminum stand has replaced the plastic-draped one from previous models, but the same height adjustments reside around back. The UltraSharp 32 also houses both full and mini display ports (with the requisite cable included), HDMI jack, a built-in USB hub and an SD card reader along the left side.

Based on an indium gallium zinc oxide (IGZO) panel, its color gamut spans across a gargantuan 1.07 billion colors, a 64 times increase over what conventional monitors offer, 16.7 million. The monitor will include software that lets you calibrate it including hardware access to the LUT (lookup table).

• $999 4K TV

TCL ANNOUNCES 50" 4K ULTRA-HIGH DEFINITION LED TV FOR $999 AND FLAGSHIP 5510 LED HDTV SERIES FOR US MARKET

Corona, Calif., July 25, 2013 - TCL (The Creative Life), the third largest TV brand in the world, announced their fall product line-up for the US headlined by the 50" edge-lit LED 4K Ultra HD TV launching in September aggressively priced at $999 MSRP.

50" Edge LED 4K Ultra HD TV

Launching in September, TCL's 50" LED Ultra HD TV features next-generation 4K technology and combines stunning 3840x2160 resolution with SRS TruSurroundHD sound to provide consumers with a true home theater experience. The 50" 4K LED UHD TV brings spectacular picture quality with four times the resolution of Full HD (1080p). TCL's 4K TV will upscale all of your favorite HD content - TV shows, sporting events, and movies (both Blu-rays & DVDs) to 4K to provide enhanced picture quality with sharper detail and contrast. The advanced 120Hz CMI (Clear Motion Index) refresh rate displays fast motion sports and action scenes with clarity and smoothness The 5,000,000:1 dynamic contrast ratio provides brilliant color and contrast. It features an ultra-thin bezel with a modern gunmetal gray finish, housed in a sophisticated slim frame design. Four HDMI® inputs allow users to connect to satellite or cable, DVD/Blu-ray players, gaming consoles, and other devices at the same time. As an MHL (Mobile High-Definition Link) enabled TV, users can effortlessly connect smart phones or tablets to the TV to display content while simultaneously charging the device.

• I found this article on nofilmschool to be interesting, it basically talks about how 4k is more valuable than just the "extra resolution" but also the color space and so on...

http://nofilmschool.com/2013/07/4k-uhd-color-space-gamut-frame-rate/

• @GravitateMediaGroup

It is repost (written with own words) of some weird article. Do not remember it,

Larger color space is not related to resolution (they only mention some standard). In fact, with going into cheap LED backlights from tubes backlights most TVs lost some unifirmity and some gamut.

I am not even started to talk about mobile devices where gamut and battery life are always two opposites (for LCD screens, for OLED it is not so).

• Asus 4K monitor review

Even coming into the office right after a standard 30”, 2560x1600 display, the difference is huge. You get either a larger desktop, or a far crisper screen, or possibly both. It isn’t a small difference, but one that I can notice easily, and every single time I sit down to my desk. It also is apparent that many application vendors have to hurry up with their software support for DPI scaling, because when it isn’t supported correctly it is really ugly out there.

In the end, my feelings about the ASUS PQ321Q wind up being very simple. Of the dozens of displays that I’ve reviewed for AnandTech so far, this is the one I want to hold onto the most. The razor sharp screen is just addictive to use, and you realize this is the future for displays. I’m sure over the next few years that performance will improve, prices will come down, and features will increase, and that helps everyone. But I want this now, and I don’t want it to leave my house.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/7157/asus-pq321q-ultrahd-4k-monitor-review