Personal View site logo
Official Apple Logic Pro X Topic
  • Apple Logic Pro X official release!

Key New Features:

• Logic Pro X includes Drummer, a virtual session player that automatically plays along with your song in a wide variety of drumming styles and techniques
    • Flex Pitch provides integrated pitch editing for audio recordings. This is way beyond AutoTune – Flex Pitch analyzes your audio and then lets do Melodyne-style audio editing. You can move the pitch of individual notes up or down, for pitch correction, or use it as a creative tool.
    • Logic Remote lets you play and control Logic Pro X from an iPad, letting you create and mix music from anywhere in the room. (Screen shots below).
    • Retro Synth is a new virtual instrument that emulates some of the most popular classic synthesizers from the 70s and 80s.
    • Vintage Keyboards offer realistic models of electric pianos, B3 organs and clavs.
    • Track Stacks lets you organize and collapse multiple tracks into one. It can also be used to create complex layered instruments.
    • Smart Controls allow you to manipulate multiple plug-ins and parameters with a single move for quick and powerful sound design.
    • An improved Mixer helps manage mix sessions more efficiently, with increased visibility into signal flow and dynamics and faster ways to manipulate channel inserts.

New tools for songwriting and music production:

• Drummer delivers professionally produced, realistic drum tracks that can perform millions of unique grooves in rock, alternative, songwriter and R&B genres. Drummer is powered by the performances and sounds of some of the industry’s top session players and recording engineers, including mixer/producer Bob Clearmountain.
    • The new Drum Kit Designer plug-in lets you build your own custom kit using a diverse collection of professionally recorded snare drums, toms, hi-hats and cymbals that you can mix, match and fine tune to get the right drum sound for your song.

Logic Remote is a new way to extend the creative power of Logic by using your iPad. Designed to take full advantage of the iPad Multi-Touch display, Logic Remote gives users new ways to record, mix and even perform instruments in Logic Pro X from anywhere in the room.

Synthesizers and keyboards with more new instruments:

• The Arpeggiator is one of nine new MIDI plug-ins. It can transform a simple keyboard chord into an elaborate sequence.
    • The new Retro Synth emulates some of the most popular classic synthesizer tones from the 70s and 80s.
    • Vintage Keyboards offer realistic models of electric pianos, B3 organs and clavs, with sophisticated tone-shaping controls.
    • Bass Amp Designer allows bass players to play and record using vintage and modern bass amps, with cabinets and microphones that can be configured to build a custom bass rig.
    • Logic Pro X also features a new Sound Library with an updated loop collection and over 1,500 instruments. It also includes effect Patches that make creative use of Track Stacks, Smart Controls, the Arpeggiator and other new plug-ins.

Availabilite at:

• 30 Replies sorted by
  • Wonder if there will be any easy way to integrate with FCPX?

• Logic x reads fcpx X XML. Don't know if its round trip though. I'll post more info when I install my copy tomorrow.

• Please do! The only hing keeping me from getting FCX has been lack of a good audio editor to go with it. If it round trips, ill be going with FCX/LPX/Davinci Resolve.

• ^^werd

• I am really really curious how logic X will perform!! Been using 9 for a long time now and I'm really wondering if the change in workflow is as dramatic as with FCPX. Will be installing this soon! Would it be possible to have both logic 9 and X on the same mac?

• Best hidden feature: Custom Javascript Midi Plugin Scripting. (well not really hidden - just click midi effect- then script and code your heart away)

For all the, "Who, why, what Javascript?!" Codeacademy is your friend

@B3Guy So let me get this straight… you don't use FCPX? If you go FCPX make sure you have a crazy fast GPU.

• "Custom Javascript Midi Plugin Scripting"

@alcomposer : sorry for sounding like a complete n00b but what does that help you accomplish in logic X? (midi is not my area of expertise, can't seem to wrap my head around it yet)

• Ok, so you get a few built in midi effects:

• arpeggiator
    • chord trigger
    • LFO
    • envelope
    • Velocity Processor
    • Transposer
    • Randomizer
    • Note Repeater
    • Modifier

Built in scripting allows you to 'roll your own' effect, with an interface. Either you can make your own or download one from someones web site thats into building effects for fun.

What you can build it up to you. Auto composition tools comes to mind: algorithmic composition anyone?

Because its full javascript you can get very complex, (or very simple). This will allow you to use logic (and MainStage) in a similar fashion to Ableton Live.

You will now be able to build any sort of Midi plugin that you can think of… for example: an auto accompaniment patch that plays a bass line to your melody by noticing which chords you are playing… The limit is your imagination.

The Javascript Midi architecture now makes this possible. And in a very powerful way.

plugins_keyboardsounds_arpeggiator_noteorder.jpg
    642 x 499 - 67K
    plugins_keyboardsounds_arpeggiator_modulator.jpg
    642 x 519 - 76K
    plugins_keyboardsounds_arpeggiator_chordtrigger.jpg
    642 x 383 - 76K
  • by the way I do all of my audio editing inside logic so if this means I don't have to import and export tracks anymore and just "load" my FCPX project then this is a huge time saver! If it is round-trip then FCPX+LogicX is a very powerful combination...

I think many apple users are having a very good week, LX seems to be a very good release! (now lets hope it is also stable)

• @alcomposer wow, so you could create your own "band-in-a-box" within logic! I don't know anything about Java but I'm sure there will be things on websites or for sale pretty soon that are worth investing in. So essentially logic is now expandable beyond its original package!

• @andrevanberlo,

Totally Band-in-a-box (what is that like 20 years old now?)… one does have to question what took apple so long!

What this should allow is complete note & control scripting. This is not however a synthesis language, so don't expect complex sound scripting. (Check out Csound & Cabbage (Cabbage is a project to allow Csound synthesis within a plugin format) for that if you are interested).

Javascript is however a simple and advanced language, its also basically what the whole web runs on, so its a good idea to get your head around it.

If you want to learn- it will take about 10 hours to become comfortable with the basics from noob level, check out Code Academy. Its free, and they are FANTASTIC! Its also aimed squarely at beginners, but also builds to more advanced concepts.

However if thats not up your ally, don't fear- as I am sure that there will be 100's of code snippets running around the web in the next few weeks!

Also Apple states that LPX reads and writes FCPX XML, so its a matter of finishing FCPX audio in LPX, then importing it back into FCPX, more changes etc, repeat until golden brown.

Im still downloading, :-( so I will let you know of my experience here. Great times!

• @alcomposer awesome! yeah band-in-a-box is very old, used it during my time at the conservatory studying all those jazz changes :-)

post some of your findings about LPX here, this seems like a very capable but also accessible piece of software and the link to fcpx is magic!

[edit]

Also thanks about the tip for Javascript, i'll digg into it and see how far i get. Don't have much time though but this might just be worth getting into!

• Ok…

Good news and bad news.

Logic Pro X reads FCPX.

The audio of EVERY edit is simply thrown on the timeline. :( But it doesn't crash. LPX is ROCK SOLID.

This means either 2 things. Logic Pro X needs a .1 update, or FCPX needs a .1 update.

As this is a documented issues around the internet, (not just my project or system) I go with FCPX needing a slight update- as currently there is no- import or export.

So look forward to a new FCPX very very soon in an App Store near you.

Cheers, A

• This is an interesting release and the price point is certainly attractive. This could be the version that brings me back to working with the program again.

Anyway, most of the features are emulating their competitors, but that was also sorely needed so it's good to see them catching up.

The scripting, macro controls and some aspects of track stacks (as well as the price point) all remind me a bit of what Cockos Reaper was doing already, and that's a compliment. In fact, the macro controls look even easier to use than both Cockos Reaper's indirect approach and the combinator in Reason.

@almcomposer Keep us posted on your experiences!

• @thepalalias, the more I work with LPX the more I feel like nothing has changed from LP9. This is nothing like FCP-FCPX. (which I think I was secretly looking forward to more of a Ableton Live sort of program).

If you have used logic in the past- there will be nothing new. Just familiarise yourself with where the menus are etc, and new terminology.

Apart from the sounds taking over a day to download & FCPX XML not working as advertised (honestly- I think this will be fixed real quick- Apple don't need any more lawsuits) everything is fine.

Some aspects of it feel more like Garageband, but thats just cosmetic, there is nothing logic X cannot do that 9 can. My only little complaint is that they have taken away zooming while pulling down or up from the ruler. That was a great feature, as you could navigate anything without touching the keyboard. Now I am going to have to get used to scroll-wheel + option + command. eh.

• After searching online, found the smoking gun that FCPX needs an update to work with the new LPX:

When you navigate to a FCPX project in the media browser from within LPX, a dialogue lets you know that the project has not been prepared for sharing yet. However there is no such setting in FCPX.

See image attached. Thanks to Doug Suiter on http://www.fcptalent.com for this clue!

fcptalent_hint.png
    449 x 657 - 60K
  • Sound for me is a big weakness as I have no musical ability. Do people think you could with a certain amount of time with the software produce decent 'soundscapes' not music but atmospheric backgrounds for that aren't naff?

I heard James Longley in Iraq in Fragments used it and I liked the results, just wondering if a tone deaf amateur could do something similar?

• @jimmykorea if you're really tone-deaf it is gonna be hard I think but if you have just a little bit of musical hearing there's a good chance you'll be able to produce some interesting things but it'll take time. With these programs you can layer as many things you like, use harmonizers etc. I guess success will depend on your expectations. A nephew of mine created some very nice things in garage band and his knowledge of music is minimal. But the trying out and playing with it will take time

• Do people think you could with a certain amount of time with the software produce decent 'soundscapes' not music but atmospheric backgrounds for that aren't naff?

I am not sure that this is Logic Pro related :-)

But you can just buy soundcapes. Just search for "cinema soundscapes" or "cinematic soundscapes".

• @Vitaliy_Kiselev looking at your answer I think i can conclude i misunderstood the question :-) Thanks for helping out!

• yeah I've looked at buying ambient stuff etc before but often it isn't very subtle and electronic sounding, or too new agey or too dark. Plus the good stuff costs sometimes as much as $50-100 for a track or two and sometimes I wonder if its just a few loops on Logic Pro anyway...

I don't really mean music more subtle atmospheric tones etc, I guess similar to this:

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=FGCLOLC360k&feature=plpp

I think James Longley plays around a lot with field recordings as well.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=aXIfZi0L7RA

• @alcomposer I noticed the media browser issue in Logic, too. What I found interesting is that the media browser used to be an option in FCPX before they introduced the new share button/menu. The took out the export to media browser button.

The media browser export feature, I believe, originally exported an MP4 to iTunes or a folder set for full exports. Someone please correct me on that.

I also had issues bringing in FCPXMLs based on two sequences: one shot on RED and one on Alexa. X2Pro's AAF export/import to Logic worked great, though.

• MacProVideo have a nice example of the new Midi FX Scripting. Basically in their example they are driving the EXS24 string patch, with a split point that allows selectable articulations below and above that point, (pizzicato, legato, etc.) http://macprovid.vo.llnwd.net/o43/hub/media/1084/8261/Scripting__EXS_24_Articulation_Polyphonizer-logicx.zip

Looks like the included Javascript is quite feature rich, apart from a custom GUI, (you only get menus, sliders, or switches) a MIDI recording / looping patch for example would be quite easy to implement.