Personal View site logo
Driftwood ClusterX series 2:│moon│ЅріzZ│nebula│drewnet│Slipstream │Redshift
  • 1053 Replies sorted by
  • @pop24 Really love how that lens shoots. Nice work.

• @pop24 Good job, nice colors. What software for post and colorization?

• Latest News on Moon T7 and new DREWnet Experimenting with some interesting matrix ideas after researching some of Canon's 5DMKIII scalers.

• So, is the Moon setting the best bet to use as an upgrade from someone that likes the look of Orion v4b?

I see a lot of people are using Moon T5, how will T7 differ? Also, is it planned to have one "final' release of Moon that combines everything from all of the trials?

Last question, I have been using Flow Motion up until now. I don't like the "rain" effect it gives in low light scenes. It can be removed when you convert to ProRes, but I also see a bit of an image quality increase when comparing footage from FM and these hacks. Is Moon suitable as an all-around hack because I really only like keeping one hack loaded.

• @anthonyw Flow Motion does not give a "rain" effect in low light scenes. That's the Main Concept AVCHD library used by CS and other apps. It is not a patch-related issue. It happens in non-patched, stock GH2 footage as well. This patch might just be immune to the Main Concept bug because it's All-I but I haven't checked, personally, because 5DtoRGB does a better job of transcoding than you get via Main Concept + CS ingesting into a floating-point timeline anyway.

• @driftwood

Hi,do you have a solution for the REDshift trouble with the broken gops ? I like Redshift because the dont need much Bitrate. Is there anything that i can test ?

bye dieter

• @BurnetRhoades I just tested the same scene with both FlowMotion and Moon T5, Flow Motion caused the diagonal rain effect. It's the only patch that does this for me from what I've tested. In the past I've also tried Orion v4b and Aquamotion V2, but at that time I settled to just use FlowMotion V2.

I confirmed myself that it disappears when AVCHD footage shot with it is then converted to ProRes. However, I'm thinking about moving from FlowMotion anyway because I do think there are other patches that offer better image quality and motion such as Moon T5, but then comes the other questions that I mentioned.

• @anthonyw no, it isn't the patch that's doing it. The same footage has no artifacts when read by any app that doesn't use the Main Concept AVCHD library. This isn't up for debate anymore. It's been a known issue since the end of 2012 now.

Flow Motion is a decent midrange patch maintaining high quality through fast moving footage especially. For straight up image quality several Driftwood patches handily beat it. Flow Motion shoots at nearly quadruple the stock data rate and several of Driftwood's patches record 50% again more data than Flow Motion.

• Ok, well, rain artifacts aside, I'm wondering:

Is the Moon setting the best bet to use as an upgrade from someone that likes the look of Orion v4b?

I see a lot of people are using Moon T5, how will T6, T7 or any of the other variations differ? Also, is it planned to have one "final' release of Moon that combines everything from all of the trials?

Is Moon suitable as an all-around hack because I really only like keeping one hack loaded.

• Here's some Moot Trial 3 (still my favorite Moon) in the harsh summer sun of Texas. Tomorrow, if we're not rained out, I'll be shooting a series of proof-of-concept scenes for a scifi-western mashup at this location with full on costumes, horses and lots of cowboy fun.

...the footage is shown twice, first run through with a baseline Curves applied to offset shooting daylight with the tungsten preset for supposedly cleaner results on the GH2 and the second pass has Film Convert applied, giving it a slightly less modern, warmer, more rustic feel prior to any real grading.

• @BurnetRhoades Ha, you know you're shooting in Texas when someone on the production team has a Whattaburger cup in their hand.

• Just a little WIP. Moon v5, 14mm 2.5, Nikon 28mm f2 AI, Nikon 35mm f2 , Rokkor 50mm f1.4, Jupiter 85mm f2. ISO mostly 2500, -2, -2, 0, +2. 720p 50fps. Hopefully I'll finish it tomorrow ;)

• @anthonyw Check. One is HD the other is not. @dieter123 send me a 24p with the redshift broken GOP (dropbox link if u like)

• @driftwood Hi,i hope the link works,i use dropbox the first time :) https://www.dropbox.com/s/jm2r3n63um97dki/00000.MTS

bye

• Thanks @dieter123 - I'll take a look.

• Sorry @driftwood. As I mentioned, I failed to realize that Vimeo only lets you upload one HD video per week with a free account, and after I uploaded it, I deleted the original video.

• @driftwood just wondering if you could please answer?

Is the Moon setting the best bet to use as an upgrade from someone that likes the look of Orion v4b, or is Orion vb4 more stable?

I see a lot of people are using Moon T5, how will T6, T7 or any of the other variations differ? Also, is it planned to have one "final' release of Moon that combines everything from all of the trials?

Is Moon suitable as an all-around hack because I really only like keeping one hack loaded. If not, then which do you recommend taking what I mentioned into consideration?

Thanks

• Thanks @Vitaliy_Kiselev @driftwood @shian for all the tools and education. Moon T5, nikon 24mm 2.8 and 50mm 1.4, and Tamron 4-12mm (@~5mm) security camera lens used in crop mode. Although the only shot using the Tamron that made the final cut is at 1:15 . Most shots had very minimal grading, a few go pro shots which did not hold up well in grading, my fault not the cameras. GoPro was shot at 4X3 by accident so I had to zoom in to fill the 16X9 frame.

http://www.popcitymedia.com/features/vintagegrandprix071713.aspx

• Here is the vimeo link for the video described above-

• Last night I got some stills posted, pulled from footage I shot out at this old west museum of settlements and homes, Pioneer Farms, on Tuesday of this week. It's for a proof-of-concept video, consisting of several scenes from a feature script, intended to help with the funding of this and two other western "mashups" as part of a package (zombie-western, ghost-western and scifi-western).

http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10153041414360183.1073741826.723235182&type=1

...the name of the film we shot scenes for has a working title of The Good, the Bad and the E.T. I shot it on Moon Trial 3, my favorite patch for the GH2, and for the stills just did a quick baseline Curves and Film Convert (Kodak Vision3 5207). It will likely be a week or two before I do the transcode for online and grading.

1074895_10153041423115183_1777747649_o.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 325K
    1077634_10153041415420183_79418134_o.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 207K
    903762_10153041421150183_1842062094_o.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 258K
  • @BurnetRhoades great looking stills, but in my eyes they are a bit green-ish, or is it just me?

• maybe an idea in magenta will epoxy well, but I like the setup mnogo.Very good overview of this genre-bravo!

• My latest work with the GH2. 12mm Hyperprime, 45mm Olympus, Walimex Fisheye, voigtländer 17 mm, Cluster X

Start New Topic

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google Sign In with OpenID

Sign In Register as New User

Tags in Topic

Top Posters