Personal View site logo
Linux course for beginners
  • 9 Replies sorted by
  • [Deleted - written when I thought this series was meant for beginners]

• Thanks for big long rant :-) But it is really not required.

Linux, these days, more often spells the end of computing troubles for many new adapters. No more nag-screens, viruses, shareware or software which expires, and unexplained unresponsiveness

Linux vs Windows flame is prohibited here as pointless. As well as propaganda you wrote here about "end of computing troubles ".

I am assuming these hours of Linux lessons for beginners are some kind of a joke on your part? ;-)

No.

This learning style can be called, Random and Concrete.

OK, in this case just use your random style and do not interfere with people who don't use it.

• Great to see this posted here! Also OS X people remember that 90% of Linux is transferable to the Unix underpinnings of OS X. Fire up your Terminal and its basically the same.

There is currently a MASSIVE shortage of NLE software on the Linux front. Don't get me wrong, there are softwares - however I am not that much of a fan of them. It is a pity that there isn't a GIMP, or Blender for video project out there, (I know that Blender does video- but not dedicated video, and having used it its not what you would call complete).

Personally where I feel that linux is king is in servers, and currently I use linux for my FCPX ISCSI video server. Works great, and will most probably be upgrading the whole unit very soon- (read: I need more space).

Congrats VK!

• the best way to learn Linux is exactly the same way kids learn a new language: total immersion. jump in head first. forget about grammar, conjugation, etc. you'll get to those concepts eventually. no need for lengthy convoluted theory at the moment. instead grab the tools and start hammering down.

Yes, we heard this opinion already here.
    I also had "big luck" meeting many guys who learned things such way.

• total immersion is the way everyone learned their first language. the methodology is there because it simply works... every day for millions of people.

Yes, and simple observation shows that it was longest and quite inefficient way :-)

almost every Linux distribution is friendly enough for the user to get things done (web browsing, email, saving images, playing music, creating documents, etc) without having to write a line of code or go into the terminal.

Thing is this course is really not about consumer distributives and working in their GUIs.

• Hey guys, there are some of us here who actually know Linux, and have administered UNIX, and BSD prior to that. I have big-iron servers, but over the weekend I brought up my first Raspberry-Pi (two actually). One is a network server to back up my files every night, the other is for showing off to friends :) I certainly didn't learn Linux by immersion. At the time I was immersed in CP/M, as I recall. That's where the money was, back in the 70's.. :)

• Installing Ubuntu using Virtual Box on Max OS