Personal View site logo
Nikon D7100 vs Panasonic Gh2 sharpness test
  • 39 Replies sorted by
  • It's all about lenses for me. If I had a bunch of nikon lenses that worked on the camera I'd be tempted to look at the 7100, but there's nothing dramatically better as far as stills or video for me to make the switch. The G6/GH3 question is the one I'm thinking about.

More likely I'll just stay with my GH2 for another year to see how things shake out. It's just that good already, and it's paid for.

• @Azo I am still in the testing phase between the two. The first thing that was important to me was the resolution. I am not a sharpness freak, but being use to a gh2, it was difficult to go back to a canon low rez for example. The rest was a little secondary not because DR or low light is not important to me, but I knew they were superior from what I have seen online at least form its sister camera (D5200).

To my surprise it seems that my first question is being answered in a very positive way. Looking at the number of views and the amount of people committing, I think that they are very very close indeed.

• @danyyyel

Thank you for doing this test... I have been itching to purchase the D7100 but was not sure how it would be for videos. I already have the Nikon D600 as well as a Nikon F5 and also a bunch of Nikon glass so this is great news. I like the Nikon D600 for low light and also the shallow depth of field, BUT the GH2 with the Moon T5 patch is definitely sharper for videos.

Back on topic about the D7100, Although the video quality on the GH2 is astounding with the hacks, I would rather have the D7100 for bigger size, build quality, weather sealing, battery life, etc and am willing to sacrifice a LITTLE in the video department.

The only downfall I see about the D7100 is that it does not have an articulated screen built in. But that is easily fixed with an external monitor. There are a lot of variables and opinions on what looks good for videos. That being said in your opinion how would you rate the video quality in comparison to the GH2. I know that this is a subjective question but I would like to hear your take on it.

• Major dealbreaker for me with Nikon cameras is Nikon mount.

• @johnnymossville Yes this is the big news here because I was just testing sharpness detail here. If the D7100 is that close to the gh2 which in many test compares favorably to many high end cinema camera on test like zacuto. Then we have a very very good camera that will cure one of the big flaw of the gh2 which is DR and to a certain extent low light capabilities.

• @mpgxsvcd, there are comparison betwen GH2 and GH3, and the results says that the GH2 is sharper, can you ilustrate?

• @bleach551 yes you are right I corrected the mistake.

• Nothing dramatically different about the images.

• @danyyyel,

I think you meant the D7100's Sharpness starts from "0" to "9". The Contrast on the D7100 starts from "-3" to "+3". I also own a D7100 and I am using a "+1" sharpness "in-camera" and applying a 32-bit "Unsharp Mask" in After Effects.

I used to use the "+2" "in-camera" sharpness setting with the "Neutral" picture profile, However, if you select the "Standard" picture profile, It will show that the "+2" sharpness setting is a little too much. So I use the "+1" , along with a modified "Neutral" picture profile, and sharpen slightly with an "Unsharp Mask" In Post. It looks good in all the picture Profiles of the D7100.

• The in-camera sharpening of the GH2 is active even when set to -2, it is reduced then, but still active.

• The gh2 was sharpness 0 and the colour profile was sooth at -2 contrast. The D7100 was Neutral contrast zero to more or less match the DR of the gh2. The Nikon was +2 sharpness. One thing to note is that the D7100 sharpness start from 0 to 9. There is no negative value, so I chose the 2 setting as it does not look to bring any hallo or over sharpening.

• number 2 is sharper.

• Number 2 is definitely sharper. I don't know whether that is good or not for everyone?

What color profile and setting(Sharpness and noise reduction) did you use? I would be more interested to see how the D7100 stacks up against the GH3. My GH3 is a lot sharper and just better than my GH2.

• So 51 views but no reply, it smells good for the D7100 then, if nobody wants to commit :)