Personal View site logo
Fotodiox, Excell, Lens Turbo analogs for m43 and NEX
  • 351 Replies sorted by
  • I see they are going to try and sale the first.version again at a discounted price. This solidifies the direction this company is going IMO. I would just stay away from anything in the future if this is their business model.

Really, stop bashing manufacturer.

• @Vitaliy_Kiselev I'm sorry sir but I know way more than you in this situation. You are speaking on speculation where I am speaking of facts. I'm not inclined to type the facts but I should warn people, do you not agree? We can take this offline if you wish.

• I think he's just referring to the continued complaints. I mean, It's really dog-piling at this point. Not that those involved don't deserve it. If I had pulled the trigger on this thing and got what you guys got, I would be livid. But I think we've all made our point. Stick that thing in the oven. It ain't done cookin'.

• @vicharris

I would just stay away from anything in the future if this is their business model.

It is very simple, on this forum it is not allowed to just bash manufacturers and make generalizations with loud proclaims that all they make is shit. It is pointless and have no value.

Did they have problems with this product? Yes, of course. But I am sure they will be able to fix problems.

• Has anyone else heard about the Light Cannon II? A possible release date for it?

• Nobody even reads these threads anymore, do they? Just skip to the end and post a question. I'm not sure if it's the system, or the user, but something's broken.

http://www.personal-view.com/talks/discussion/comment/131914#Comment_131914

• @shian If you think it's bad here, you should definitely avoid the Magic Lantern forum where people are still showing up to bring up their brilliant idea that you could get some extra bandwidth by writing to both CF and SD simultaneously on the 5DIII. It's so simple they can't believe that there aren't already multiple threads suggesting it (though to be fair, most of those threads have scrolled to page 2 now)!

• @shian +11111111111111111 BTW, does anyone have an opinion on the fact that they are just going to rebrand these as soft focus adapters now? I responded to them on facebook and they said they had many photographers tell them they love it for that. I'm still waiting on those reviews :)

I'm being nice Vitaliy :)

• @vicharris They are sitting on an expensive pile of inventory which can't be sold for its original purpose. Why would you have a problem with them selling it to people for an alternative purpose which it does pretty well? Seems like a decent way to avoid taking a total bath on their production costs.

• Why would you have a problem with them selling it to people for an alternative purpose which it does pretty well?

Because it doesn't really make any sense... how can they work for photos and not video? People aren't that stupid these days. Optics are optics.

• Some people have reported bubbles in the glass. Not good for anything! I know companies do this sort of stuff all the time. There's a drug company that was trying to come up with a cure for cataracts and turns out, it makes eyelashes grow instead. Boom, Latisse or whatever it's called. And yep, that shit is still dangerous for your eyes. Turns em brown. But back on topic, just wanted to hear other people thought :) BTW, they're still selling the original product. If it was me I would have pulled everything down immediately to minimize damage.

One more thing, has everyone received a refund that sent their adapter back? I sent mine last week and haven't received anything and they are not responding to my correspondence. Not too surprised on that one though since I've been pretty vocal about the situation.

• I'm still thinking about how to return it. Maybe I will just report to paypal, because this whole thing doesn't seem fair. I paid duty taxes and shipping to london and I need to pay shipping to USA , that's around 40 punds! Really disappointed...

• @jobless same situation here (I'm from Italy). The only way would be to open a dispute on PayPal for a complete refund (shipping expenses included). As for me, I think that after all the best option is to accept the offer and get the Mark II version for free.

• Are you sure that mark II will be any better? :)

• No, but I would loose too much money if I return it (import taxes and shipping back). This way I can at least hope to make a decent deal. There is always the chance to return both adapters (losing either way taxes and shipping), though I think that it wouldn't be possible to make a PayPal dispute in that case (too much time after first shipping/payment?)

• Then we should write to them to declick the aperture ring in mark II. I really don't understand who had the brilliant idea to limit the lens to 4 aperture levels? anyway, I need to rethink again.. Cheers

• @jobless I already talked to them about this. Not going to happen. Another reason to walk away from this adapter.

• Vic, you were never told we were not going to declick the Mark II. It is an option that has been brought to the table multiple times and we are waiting for the test batch to come in before we say it will or will not have a click feature. The click feature was originally added for photographers that need the definitive stopping points. Your order has also been processed and you have been emailed.

• Listen, I'm not going to get into any of that here because I said I would not. You can say what you want, really I don't care anymore. The fact that your company knowingly sold a defective product to consumers and I had to pay out of my pocket for that irritates me beyond all belief.

BTW, thanks for the refund.

• Fotodiox renamed it "soft focus adapter" for vintage "glamour" shots. Lol!

• @Vitaliy_Kiselev

You didn't know that? I thought I mentioned it here when it happened. Pretty disappointed about it. Lost all respect for the owner over this. I'll never buy from them again. He wanted to try and recoup some of the money he lost by trying to push a known defective product so they just renamed it. Even said photographers wanted a soft focus adapter for shooting.

BTW, the new one was supposed to be out by now. Hmmmmm, wonder where it is? :)

• @vicharris You did - on July 10. I'm still not sure why anybody would be upset that they're marketing it as a soft focus adapter - they invested a bunch of cash in a product that they can't otherwise recoup - and the thing probably works out to be a mediocre soft focus adapter which is a huge step up from a piece of shit speed booster. I have no use for such a thing (for stills or video), but if someone else is willing to pay for it, cool.

• Everyone has different opinions and mine are based on inside facts. Think what ya want.

• @eatstoomuchjam You're right technically that if the product has value as a soft focus adapter...then it has value. But I agree with @vicharris in that it's a bit odd for a company to produce a product to do one thing (go wider and faster, all with proper standard focus) and then when the company fails to achieve it...then decides to say the product is really meant to do something else. Most would consider that pretty "slimy"...at best "slippery"...but either way it's dishonest and shows a willingness to just do anything regardless of reasoanble business ethics.

And for those that want to argue that all companies only care about money...I can't really argue against that...but as a customer I prefer a company that is honest, delivers good products and services, and I'll happily pay more. A company that promises to sell an inexpensive product and then fails to deliver has wasted customer's time. Trying to then desperately re-label product is lame. I don't know much about this company's history - maybe they do great products...but if I came across one of their products now, I'd be hesitant to buy. Hopefully they do create an inexpensive speed booster. Doing that and acknowledging that they rushed version 1 to market too quickly, would be a way to redeem their reputation. Plus I'd like a cheap speedbooster!