Personal View site logo
GH3 user reviews and opinions
  • 1089 Replies sorted by
  • @stanlymanly2 I think it is quite obvious that what you program is the time interval from start of one shooting cycle to the start of the next shooting cycle, and that if you don't yourself take focus time, exposure time, bracketing, noise reduction time, and writing time into account, you will be prone to set up interval shots that the camera can't keep up with (which is what you did).

You would of course have focusing, and noise reduction disabled, and most often bracketing as well, so you only end up with exposure time, and the writing time should always be possible to discount since it should be parallellized with the next shot and buffer-fill is impossible I think with the minimum-interval of one second.

• @SuperSet i think what they fixed the last time was the buffering time messing with the actual timing of the timelapse. The weird thing that occured with mine was it took less photos i programmed it to take to compensate for the longer exposure. I had it set up for 3000 photos 1 second apart with a 25 or 30 second exposure. What it did was it divided the number of photos by the actual exposure time and gave me 120 ish photos instead. So that really confused me. :p i might be wrong or just dont get the process but it threw me off completely :p

• @Rambo yes I think the 14-140 is a good lens. Ok I'm lucky to have beautifull lighting all the year in my country.. @maxr Many thanks. The movie 'Inside the Monster' will be uploaded on august the 15th in Vimeo. I hope you'll enjoy this 26 minutes movie about the monster wave of Teahupoo..

• @RBD and @maxr

I appreciate the compliments, guys.

• The focus assist has a 3x (doesn't fill the screen and is incredibly blurry), 5x (which is great) and 10x, which is too much. The back dial controls which zoom you have when in focus assist mode.

@h2otara exactly what I was writting ;-) and that happens both in back screen and EVF

this is a very helpful feature, can be also used (EVF wise) with back panel touch pinpoint (or small area) AF

@jul and @mankus71 very cool videos guys, even my heartbeats slowed down ;-)
    Julien the inside the monster video promo is pure awesomeness XD

• bwhitz - I whole heartedly agree with you that there should be "nothing difficult about finding manual focus with the GH3". The one I tried, simply didn't give me remotely useable results. User error? Maybe.

Maybe there's a batch of them miss-calculated from the factory?

• The focus assist has a 3x (doesn't fill the screen and is incredibly blurry), 5x (which is great) and 10x, which is too much. The back dial controls which zoom you have when in focus assist mode.

• @stanlymanly2 Wasn't the timelapse feature fixed in the last firmware (v1.1)?

• I took a look at a second GH3 today, at a different camera store, and the EVF focus assist worked exactly as I hoped it would.

The previous GH3's focus assist didn't fill the entire screen or EVF, and was incredibly blurry. I can only guess that improper camera settings were conflicting with the focus assist, or possibly the camera was defective. I showed the issue to the first GH3 salesman, who stated that he has seen this with other GH3's, so I didn't pursue it further. In retrospect, I should have asked to do a factory reset on the camera or look at another GH3.

At any rate, the second GH3 satisfied my concerns so I bought it.

• Hey Everyone. I recently went to Whistler BC and got a chance to try out the timelapse feature and make a video out of it. The calculation was very odd. I set it up for a time lapse that should have left me with 3000 photos. Instead I picked up 120+ photos. The set up was 30 second exposure for each frame. Then I set the next photo to be taken the next available second after the previous frame is saved. What i realized is the camera compensated the time a single frame is taken out of the total amount of photos that should be taken. So 3000 expected frames with 30 second exposure resulted into 120+ Frames. It was odd that it would instead of actually take the 3000 frames, it would just compensate the long exposure's given time out of the time it should take 3000 frames. Oh well, heres the result. The experimental was the 2nd to the last timelapse which was obviously too short to my liking. The last timelapse was when i finally figured out the error in the calculation and i think it came out great.

• jul 4:03PM @RBD Thanks. This footage was recorded in .mov 24p in standard mode ( 0.0.0.0 ) and i.Dynamic in standard mode... That's the only settings I had, except of the frame rate at 40% naturaly.

Additionally, this was shot with the 14-140 Pany tele that many people don't like, my experience with this lens is also great colour, it's what I use 98% of the time outdoors.

R

• @David I have found that for short films the GH3 is great. I can compose my shot use magnification to ensure focus. However when documenting theater using close ups having to use an 85mm lens in a low light environment to record an improvised performance in the round where you only have 1 chance, it makes focusing more difficult. I was able to do this with the evf of the GH2.
    I have not had the same success using the GH3's EVF in such environments. Hence my comment was for critical live work only. Now I am not bashing the GH3, just speaking from my experience. I hope the loupe will fix this issue for me.
    I like the GH3's image and capability, I love the absence of green skin. And I am trying to find a solution to a problem that I encounter in certain shooting situations.

• @jul Really nice vid. Good music choice too. I'm going to have to revisit the 40% mode. Shooting at 60p and slowing down in post works well but man you got some great shots using 40%. Again nice stuff.

• @RBD Thanks. This footage was recorded in .mov 24p in standard mode ( 0.0.0.0 ) and i.Dynamic in standard mode... That's the only settings I had, except of the frame rate at 40% naturaly.

• Thanks for the replies to my inquiry.

I have zero manual focus problems with my GH2, so I expected the GH3 to be comparable. Some people have clearly stated that the EVF requires careful eye placement, and I recently read a post (sorry, can't find the link to it) that said the user spent a few days of constant diopter tweaking and adjusting settings for the EVF to make it work "almost" as good as his GH2. That is encouraging, so now I will go to a different camera dealer and test a second GH3.

As enough people mention issues with the EVF, to the point of returning them, maybe the GH3 I tested today has a faulty EVF. Or, maybe I need to spend more time tweaking the diopter to get usable results. I'm willing to give it another try.

bwhitz - I whole heartedly agree with you that there should be "nothing difficult about finding manual focus with the GH3". The one I tried, simply didn't give me remotely useable results. User error? Maybe. GH3 EVF issue? Maybe. Nit picking? Guilty as charged! I'm kind of nit picky about trying to shoot in focus.

• @jul @mankus71-

Two really extraordinary films.

Very well done!

@jul will you share your settings with us?

I loved the color.

rbd

• BTW: Folks like Steve Jobs, Albert Einstein and Joan of Arc to name a few didn't quit when it got "hard."

There is a difference in ideas here... "hard situations" vs "lack of ability". Albert Einstein naturally had a mathematically mind, math wasn't "hard" for him. Sure he encountered difficult problems and equations, but if mathematics was really "difficult" for him, there is absolutely no way he could have discovered what he did. Same goes for Jobs and everyone else. Hard work is necessary, but not sufficient.

Sorry bwhitz, but as an advertising TV professional of 25 years - I humbly, respectfully and professionally choose to disagree.

Well, congrats, honestly. But I'm speaking more about Narrative-film directing/cinematography. So yea, maybe broadcasting/ENG have a different emphasis on the useability of focusing tools. This might be why so many are polarized on the use/useability of cameras like these.

But still, even in ENG... how exactly is the lack of critical focus going to translate into something that really impacts the audience? At best, better focusing will maybe save 1 out of 30 shots in a face paced environment... and only "save them" from bad focus. It's not like a good EVF is holding you back from the visual/spacial skills and framing sensibilities of a great Director or DP. It will AT BEST again, make your job easier (which, you're right, has a place in some areas), but it won't make your "skills" any better per se. Which is why I feel this is still "scape-goat-ism" and not legitimate claims against the GH3.

• I've had the camera for several months and USED IT intensively; I'm very happy with overall performance and IQ, specially in video. There exists some very stupid quirks I'm not going to talk about and furthermore they've been covered in the "Issues topic". I've never complained about EVF, actually I use it quite a lot... found my way intuitively... but like @whynot says

for critical manual focus for live work

it's far faraway from perfect which is, dear @bwhitz an euphemism for "shit". With the money I, well we, paid for the body only and in a topic which reads GH3 user reviews and opinions I think we're entitled to share this kinda stuff.

sorry for offtopic deviation, but I can't stand certain selfrighteousness fashion pululating in so many forums

peace brothers

• Sorry bwhitz, but as an advertising TV professional of 25 years - I humbly, respectfully and professionally choose to disagree.

BTW: Folks like Steve Jobs, Albert Einstein and Joan of Arc to name a few didn't quit when it got "hard." They voiced an opinion, kept on, searched for solutions to the inadequate or insane ... and changed things. (Also kinda like Vitaliy Kiselev and Nick Driftwood in my humble opinion :^)

• Oh come on, give me a break. There is nothing difficult about finding manual focus with the GH3. This is going into the category of... "if it's really this hard for you... you shouldn't be doing it."

The inane nit-picking of these cameras is starting to get crazy. If you're really finding things this difficult to use, or you're not putting out good material with these tools... it ain't the cameras fault!

• I've given up on the EVF for critical manual focus for live work. For situations when I have more time to set up shot I use the EVF and magnification prior to recording. I have ordered a varavon loupe and will give that a go. But in the mean time I will use the GH2 for live documentation work requiring manual focus.
    I hope that the Varavon will fix this but I agree it is a pity to have one more bit to carry. I have narrowed down my kit to a light version which has GH3, and three lenses & 2 batteries. To have the added varavon bulk means new bag :-)

• @davidp158 The best answer I can give is I've had to get used to the GH3's sweet "soft" spot. Like anything else practice, practice, practice. It's not as big an issue as I've kinda learned when things are in focus through the view finder. But as I've mentioned in previous posts - when I use my GH2 for a shoot, and go back to my GH3.... I'm once again baffled and irritated beyond belief.

To be honest it took me a few days of constant thinking when I first got my GH3 and experienced its view finder. "If I return it quickly I'll get my money back." "OK... I've got one more week for a full return, no questions asked."

As you mentioned and my research has shown - there are alternatives, external viewfinders, loupes etc. But everything that has to be attached to the camera for this remedy ends up limiting or flat out denying access to other features we use OFTEN. (Inputs, outputs, OLED screen buttons etc.)

The best way I've achieved perfect manual focus with my GH3 is on a video tripod, with a Fotga DP500 Fallow Focus and my 5" Ruige external field monitor. It's not an answer to your question I know. But it's what I do.

I absolutely love so much about this camera BUT the GH3's viewfinder issue is a simply tragic pre-production oversight... poor thinking... mess.

• Q: How are GH3 owners achieving reliable manual focus?

I spent my lunch break looking at the GH3, and although I am impressed with (and want) many of the GH3 features, the EVF is a major disappointment. In a brightly lit camera store, I was unable to verify if the camera was in focus with or without the MF assist. I brought my GH2 for comparison, and just couldn't adapt to the GH3's EVF. BTW, this GH3 had the 12-35mm Lumix lens, and it focused fine with auto focus. Also, I did tweak the diopter, but it didn't resolve the mush into something reliable for focusing. I've read many comments here about the soft focus of the EVF, but I never imagined it would be so bad. I even wondered if the GH3 I was reviewing was faulty, but the salesman claimed that all the GH3's he has tried suffered from this.

The OLED screen is nice, but I much prefer using the EVF for focus, especially in bright light. I have seen plenty of well focused footage from the GH3, so I'm curious to know how GH3 users are dealing with the manual focus. The Varavon attachment would help, but adds bulk and conflicts with some of the side mounted connections.

Is this issue something Panasonic can improve with firmware upgrades, or is it a limitation of the sensor?

• Had fun going back and forth between 60p and 24p on this aerial shoot:

• That would be Firmware v2.0...