Personal View site logo
So what would 1080p @ 60 FPS look like on the GH2?
  • Now with the A77 out we finally have some high end 1080p @ 60 FPS samples to look at. You can download the orginal .MTS files with the link below.

http://www.dpreview.com/previews/sonyslta77/page8.asp

I downloaded the files from the link above and pulled them into streamparser. They appear to be 28 mb/sec but I noticed that their I, P, B frames were a lot lower than what I have seen for even the 32 mb/sec GH2 footage. Maybe @Cbrandin can comment on whether stream parser would be accurate for the A77 files.

The other interesting thing is that the 1080p @ 60 FPS files don't really look any better than the 1080i files. They are not of the same scene but if I didn't know which one was which I don't think I could tell them apart. Panasonic has already stated that they intend to give the GH2 25 FPS with a firmware update and they have a history of giving older cameras new features(ie: LX3 and LX5 more recently).

I think Panasonic should just enable 1080p @ 60 FPS for the GH2. They have stated that the GH3 is not coming out anytime soon. So why not give the GH2 the same features as the new A77. Panasonic has said that the GH2 is still selling well even though its price is roughly unchanged for the body only. They could charge $100 for a firmware update and give us 1080p @ 60 FPS and PAL users 25p and I guarantee it would keep the GH2 selling well into next year.

1080p @ 60 FPS is probably not as useful as we had hoped it would be. However, I wouldn't mind paying $100 to try it out.

• 14 Replies sorted by
  • I guess their reserving the best fruit for the likes of the AG-AF101, There seems to be so much push on the 24p settings, has their been any further enhancement to the 720 50p or have we reached the pinnacle of any further improvements?
  • This will probably be a the standard now...hoepfully the GF "pro" and GH3 will have it also.
    Some things that really need to stop
    Lack of manual controls in video modes in midrange mirrorless (Pros are not going to shoot for a client with a GF3,G3 theres no threat to pro camcorder lines really Panasonic!)
    Interlace formats 1080i nonsense (Sony were mostly guilty at this...looked like they woke up after HX9) it looks like shit and moves like shit...we and televisons have advanced!
    30fps on cameras in euro contries that use 25fps (Im looking at you Olympus!)
  • Wow 60fps in a $500 body? This just makes "pro" cameras like the F3 look like worse... only 30fps for $15k... great deal. Not.

The next generation of "professional" cameras better have no less than 120fps over-cranking at 1080p.
  • @mpgxsvcd

I would expect StreamParser to show frames between 1/3 and 1/2 the size of GH2 1080 streams. Interlaced video packages both odd and even frames parts into a single frame, so 1080/60i is actually equivalent to 1080/30p framerate wise. 1080/60p therefore would have twice as many frames as 1080/60i and 2.5x as many frames as 1080/24p. Divide the bitrate by the framerate and you get half, or less as much data per frame. The individual frame quality with 1080/60p will be proportionally lower than 1080/24p given the same bitrate.

Chris
  • @cbrandin

Thanks for the explanation. So even if we get 1080p @ 60 FPS with 28 mb/sec do you think it would be better or worse than 1080p @ 24 FPS with 22 mb/sec?

What we really want is new firmware that is hackable and allows 25 FPS and 1080p @ 60 FPS.

Panasonic are you listening?
  • My question is... does anybody really want 60fps for native video? Aren't most of us just concerned with using it for slo-mo? A over-cranking mode where the sensor is read 60x a second, but only 24frame are stored, would allow the same 24fps quality, but with the slow-motion effect.
  • Are we giving up on GH2 Hacked 60p mode already? It sure seems a bit premature.

And yes Slow Mo conforming is the coolest use of that.

Hope 30p is still in the cards. The quality drop from 24H to 60i is pretty steep.
  • @mpgxsvcd

From an image quality standpoint - considerably worse. To match the image quality of 1080/24p at 22Mb/sec, you would have to go to 1080/60p at 55Mb/sec.

Chris
  • I think allot of people want 60p for Slowmo...I just wish that burst mode could run for more than a second. The Slowmo stuff I shoot that way looks killer not as slow true but...with that resolution I have allot of room to adjust. I still hope/pray that 1 sec time limit is hackable.
  • Interestingly on the HX9v 25p/30p is 14Mbit in MJPEG mode which is half the bitrate of 28Mbit 60p on that camera. So I don't have a frame of reference for what Sony's encoder looks like at higher bitrates but it certainly seems 24Mbit 24p would look a lot better. I wonder if the rather uninspiring results compression wise from the A77 we've seen so far is due to the 60p mode being used not 24p?
  • I pixel-peeped 1080p60 videos from A77 and I'm not impressed. Muddy detail with typical "JPEG-esque" ringing on the edges. I guess it's due to bitrate...60 frames at 1080 gobs data. They would need double of that.

Does anybody know if Sony uses CABAC on their AVCHD streams?
  • @ EOSHD and @ Grunf

It's probably not a compression issue. 1080 60P at 28 Mbps can look superb - witness the Sony FS100 and Panasonic TM700/900.

The problem here looks like good old fashion line skipping and it's attendant nasties.
  • I had a TM700...codec would breakup when taxed upon high detailed scenes or whip pans...hx9 also (bit its a compact so let it slide) 28mbs isnt quite enough for 50/60p