Personal View site logo
Tiny sound recorders
  • Looks like a USB disk. You can insert it to USB to charge and to copy all recorded files.

• 4GB Flash
    • Built-in rechargerable battery
    • Charging via USB interface
    • Recorder works up to 8 hours
    • Record Format: WAV
    • Sampling rate: 48HZ
    • 58mm x 21mm x 8mm

http://www.ebay.com/itm/111045219452

• 24 Replies sorted by
  • Wish it had mic in socket.

• Might be useful as an all-in Lav system hidden in clothing above the shoulders or blue tacked to the arms of sunglasses, under hat peak etc.

• I just ordered one...will let you know if/when it comes and if it works. I normally do not buy from eBay folks with less than 99 percent positive rating but this was so inexpensive....could not resist....

• It's unclear how the thing operates; it's advertised as a 3in1 (Flash/Recorder/mp3 Player) however it has only one jack port, presumably output, so it may have a useless builtin mic. The broken English in the Ebay description page confuses matters even more (referring to "models" although I take it to mean "modes").

"Two Models:

Recording: Before plug the earphone, the item would be in record mood when the item is power on, and the operating light would on. After flash for 3 seconds, the light would go out, now the item is recording

MP3 player: when plug in the earphone, power on the item, it would play the record resource or songs, the operating light would flash all the time. when you power off, the item would stop work. "

• These things have been around for years - although with smaller capacity. I gave both my teenage sons one of them each at Xmas 2007 and they immediately started producing fun sound recordings. Quality was great and there was even an LCD display.

For film making you could plant these things all over a set. At best, your main audio. At the very least, a reference track. Most likely, a useful backup.

@radikalfilm If you're not impressed by the description, try searching for similar items.

• @Walker yes I am aware record-only Flash/USB devices can be had for $30 or so. I was commenting specifically on the jack input?/output? of this particular device, since there is only one port but it claims to be a MP3 player as well.

• @radikalfilm

As I said, look further. Some devices have different hardware I/O and are better described.

• @Walker Can you recommend one with a mic-input and a decent pre-amp ?

• @zcream Sadly, no. I do have a Transcend T.Sonic 820 (different price range, a little bigger, more recent versions available) with a nice OLED screen and mic/line input I used for phone interviews.

For the 360 other tiny ones I don't know which have an in-socket, but enlarging your search to include description can turn up more info.

(BTW, they're cheap enough to open up! A flying lead from the PCB to a 2.5mm female jack is easily installed).

• I would be more inclined to fit a permanent small lav mic inside the case if I was to open it up. The attraction is the tiny size, as I posted above could be hidden in collar, neck, or attached to sunglasses/under hat peak.

• How you gonna insert that lav mic inside? Rambo Way is using muscular :-)

• Not necessarily fully enclosed inside the case, I was envisioning the head of the Lav protruding. Should be easy to do with a small dremel by eliminating the 3.5mm headphone socket. Another option, rewire the headphone socket to become a mic socket and use the lav externally. Don't really need the playback anyway.

• Good thinking @Rambo

While we're talking cheap, there are some noise-cancelling alternatives we could explore here, too. (My gf just tried to record some cicadas for me on her phone and the failed. I'm guessing her Blackberry is noise-cancelling out everything but voice). This gives me me an idea. For wind, air-con hum, traffic hum etc, one of the tiny sound sources to make up a package might be something like the (also tiny) , $30 Olympus ME12..

• @Walker I have that Olympus mic, to be truthful it's no improvement over a cheap std Lav costing $20. It is handy for its cordless design and swivelhead, it's quite large though.

• @Rambo I thought that might be the case. In any case, my credo has been to cut out unwanted noise at source. For a little thing like this, a simple bass-cut (capacitor) is doable. (see below for the idea: headphone/mic circuits are similar) But I would really expect some of these units would already have at least a switchable Voice/Music mode/Wind (bass cut).

In any case, before getting the soldering iron out, there are so many of these little USB recorders out there that one of them might even be using full noise-cancel technology.

• Looks good for spying! ;-)

Oh oops, I forgot my USB stick.....

• It came today. Looks just like the one in the pic the boss posted when opening this thread. It works. Actually sounds pretty good! I would not think of using one for primary audio but to place a few around a set or on some people or equipment it could be very useful. I have already discovered a few quirks in the instructions.

• @Kendalloz, cool. How does it sound used as a Lav, say pinned on a collar?

Thanks R

• I am playing with it and will try to post a short video review in a day or 2 or 3. So far I like it...especially for the few dollars it cost.

• OK Here is a 3 minute review. The video was shot on a Go Pro black shooting pro tune no correction. No correction of the audio except to lower the level a little.

All you do to record with this is turn it on without headphones plugged in. When you turn this on to "record" the orange light comes on. It can take 0 to 15 seconds for it to flash a a few times then go off. The recording stars AFTER the flashing stops. No light is on during recording. When you turn it off the light will flash then go off.

I plan to buy 1 or 2 more. They work well enough to go with a Go Pro (in its housing) to get sound during action shots such as fishing and boating. They are so cheap if one breaks or gets ruined by water so what.

Lots of other uses....

• (late) thanks for the review @kendalloz. The SNR is quite bad.... how did they hold up over time? check out the pic i attached... LOL

http://www.ebay.de/itm/4GB-USB-Diktiergerat-Digital-Voice-Sound-Recorder-Aufnahmegerat-MP3-Player-Musik-/141514871845?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_77&hash=item20f2f19425

Has anybody checked these out? probably shit right?

$_12.JPG
    500 x 443 - 30K
  • I have 3 of the little USB recorders and all still work. One was even submerged in salt water and still works. Since the audio quality is not the best I only use them if/when nothing else will work...as when someone does not want to wear a lav mic, or in bad weather, and so on.

• I've been looking at this tiny XLR recorder by Tascam called the DR-10X. Thinking of using it with a Sennheiser MKE600 or Rode NTG2 and a bluetooth headphones which will mean I can dispense with XLR cables and go wireless. Does this make sense? Wish the unit had a remote control though.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1086779-REG/tascam_dr_10x_dr_10cx_plug_on_micro_linear.html

• @ikoniq

http://www.personal-view.com/talks/discussion/11532/tascam-dr-10x-balls-for-your-xlr-mike#Item_3

If you want to go wireless - use proper solutions. As your idea with Bluetooth usually works bad (as you won't be able to tell if it is issue with crowded 2.4Ghz band or it is audio problems).