Personal View site logo
Fotodiox, Excell, Lens Turbo analogs for m43 and NEX
  • 351 Replies sorted by
  • This is good news in at least 3 ways. One ...fotodiox is listening to customers and takes criticism sincerely. Two....they have an advantage in designing the mkll because now they know how difficult it is. And 3....the .5x is the first one of these that's been announced ...which as most m43 users know, would be outstanding if it works.

So, since fotodiox is reading this forum I want to send them this message : build it and we'll come ! ....and most people will be happy to pay the higher price . And we need other mounts like FD

• I wonder if I purchase their Light Canon now if they'll still give me the free mark ii? :-P

(and should I bet on them doing it right the second time round... probably not)

• @fotodioxpro, I have a bunch of question....

If I hold on to my Mark1, and am not satisfied with the quality of the free mark2 can I get my money back by sending them all back to you?

If after the 14 day return period expires and I need to return the mark1, ( say a competitor brings a MFT to Nikkor out), can I get my money back?

Instead of holding on to someones money for 3-4 months, why not offer us, who ordered the mark1 and return it, the mark2 at the same price, this way releasing our funds back to us?

I am currently shooting an event tonight where I planned to use the Visilex. Instead it is sitting at my studio. No time to beta test and no way I'm taking it on a paying job after the samples I saw. That's just reality.

• Based on my research from 2010, I will be very surprised if @fotodioxpro or any other company are able to create a 0.5x focal reducer for m43 format. There just isn't enough diameter in space with glass plus mount that close to the sensor. Even at 17mm from the sensor, ie 2mm deeper than the flange you still only have about 0.71x reduction. Anyway, good luck to them and any other companies.

• sad news :( fotodiox should refund your shipping fee. It's their fault.

• From Fotodiox: "There will be two versions of the Mark II: 0.5x (created for full-frame lens to open the aperture up 2 extra stops) and 0.7x (created for APS-C Sensors which will open the aperture up 1 more stop)."

What distinction is being drawn here? When they talk about the 0.7x version being created for APS-C Sensors, do they mean that they are designed for APS-C lenses?

If I'm reading this right, a 50mm lens, using the .5x telecompressor, would become equivalent field of view of a 46.5mm lens.

• Early adopters take a certain risk, and are of course rewarded when they get to use a truly great product before anyone else. Almost all first generation products have bugs; I think Fotodiox has made a generous offer, and, of course, you can get a refund. I understand people are annoyed about the shipping, but that is the basic fact of ordering online. This thing has a lens in it--if you buy a cheap lens, should you be shocked that it is not a Leica? Look forward to the next version.

Special thanks to those who bought it and posted right away so others did not have to go through this.

• @Mance you have a point. Returning the product and refunding was already granted by their (normal) policy for any product

• If I hold on to my Mark1, and am not satisfied with the quality of the free mark2 can I get my money back by sending them all back to you?

I think that this is the main question here.

• @brandt 50mm - 25mm. Multiply. Just like the WD wide angle adapters. My .7 turns my 50mm into a 35mm (roughly)

• If I hold on to my Mark1, and am not satisfied with the quality of the free mark2 can I get my money back by sending them all back to you?- Yes, we will gladly refund the full product price, minus the shipping fees.

If after the 14 day return period expires and I need to return the mark1, ( say a competitor brings a MFT to Nikkor out), can I get my money back?- The only way we will refund the Mark I, after the 14 day return period, is after the Mark II is out and you are not happy with the Mark II.

Instead of holding on to someones money for 3-4 months, why not offer us, who ordered the mark1 and return it, the mark2 at the same price, this way releasing our funds back to us?- There was a long discussion about what we were going to do, and after everything, we decided to give the free Mark II to everyone who took the risk and purchased the Mark I. The Mark II will cost more, and doing it this way will actually be giving our customers more for their money. Yes, the Mark I did not work like expected and we recognize it- it works more like a creative lens.

• I think we have to admit few companies in todays world are as forthcoming as that. I look forward to the mkll . thanks

• I think we have to admit few companies in todays world are as forthcoming as that. I look forward to the mkll . thanks

What choice do they have? They decided to sell a flawed product, not telling that the image quality will suffer badly from it. Just to make quick money before Metabones or others release these adapters. That's not really what the term 'Pro' stands for Fotodiox...

• I kinda like their effort and will probably risk, but have to admit their offer could have been:

a) we will refund the Light Cannon including shipping (cause we admit it was not as expected/claimed)

b) you keep it, receive the Mark II for free (including shipping) and if you don't like them we will refund you, but not including shipping (cause we shipped the Mark II for free to you, after all).

Don't forget that if the product is not as expected, customer can open a dispute on PayPal and get all money back.

• With the caveat that I didn't order one of these, it feels like Fotodiox are doing mostly the right thing here. It's extremely uncommon for any company to offer free shipping on returns or refund of shipping for the original shipment. That's a risk you take in ordering a product. I think it's great when a company is willing to admit they made a mistake and take measures to correct it and I applaud Fotodiox for reaching out to the community like they're doing. It's not inexpensive, but it goes a long way to improving customer loyalty.

• I would wait. Trust me. That's all I'm saying on this subject.

• wait for what?

• Yeah, wait for Fotodiox mk2 or Metabones m4/3 mk1? Be more specific in your vagueness :)

• Wait until a few more of these things are on the market and a few people test them out. I wouldn't preorder or order without proof positive anymore.

• @vicharris thanks for warning others at Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/The-Vizelex-Light-Cannon-Panasonic/product-reviews/B00DBEQOY8/ref=dp_top_cm_cr_acr_txt?ie=UTF8&showViewpoints=1

swestes on Amazon writes about seeing bubbles in the glass element!

Also some samples have just been posted on Flickr. Very disappointing results: http://www.flickr.com/photos/savanapridi/9199217405/in/set-72157634459659517/

• Do they at least win the award for the worst optical element ever sold in the industry? We should start giving out Razzies...

• Just got my money refunded.

• Everything you need to know in 14 seconds.

Not even usable at f8...

• OMG that's ... BAD. I think we deserve a full refund, shipping included. That is an "item not matching the description"

• I see they are going to try and sale the first.version again at a discounted price. This solidifies the direction this company is going IMO. I would just stay away from anything in the future if this is their business model.