Personal View site logo
Fotodiox, Excell, Lens Turbo analogs for m43 and NEX
  • 351 Replies sorted by
  • Not sure about gh2 or 3, Blackmagic should be fine either way as its smaller than both of those. X

Good point though on aps-c versus 135 glass. I wonder if this is specifically for aps-c. Oddly enough that would make the most sense.

• @kurth Actually, according to Metabones you can use 'APS-C' lenses (page 3 of the whitepaper) (exception are some Nikon DX lenses with fixed lens hoods). But instead of talking about APS-C lenses they talk about DX. After all, there is the Canon route and the ..erm routes of the others.

Regarding the calculations, I'm not sure what the DX lenses by Nikon actually cover. I can imagine those do actually cover slightly more than the entire DX sensor to not get all sorts of issues with hoods, corner sharpness and all. I trust Metabones on their claim of being able to use Nikon DX lenses without (too much) vignetting.

The very fact they constantly talk about DX contributes makes me wonder though. A Canon APS-C sensor is slightly smaller, so possibly a Canon 'DX' would not suffice (regardless of whether you'd want to use one of those in the first place). But it could also be simply the result of the lack of testing (at least at that time).

• @WarrantyVoided

I downloaded the MBwhitepaper ...and you're right for the metabones concerning most dx lenses....and hopefully for the canon aps-c lenses as well . Makes me wonder why Metabones is stalling ...allowing the cheap competition to gather steam ? One thing good about a company like fotodiox is they have alot of experience making adapters for all sorts of mounts, which should facilitate making this more universal, as long as they use the same optics for them all.

• Found this to use for calculations:

Most MFT sensors with Light Cannon = 24.72mm x 13.89mm

http://www.geocities.jp/dvcpro24/Others/ImagerSize.html

I will also add a few more odd sized MFT mount camera dimensions:

BMCC = 15.81mm x 8.88mm

BMCC with Light Cannon = 21.96mm x 12.33mm

BMPCC = 12.48mm x 7.02mm

BMPCC with Light Cannon = 17.33mm x 9.75mm

GH2 = 18.89mm x 10.7mm

GH2 with Light Cannon = 26.24mm x 14.86

Screen Shot 2013-06-26 at 5.59.07 PM.png
    489 x 401 - 48K
  • The factor of x0.72 might not be enough for all DX/APS-C lenses to cover m4/3, but as the Tokina 11-16 projects a much larger image circle than DX, it should be fine. The Tokina is used with s35 sensors (e.g. RED) and even covers 35mm at its longest focal length (also with slight vignetting).

I really hope it covers the larger sensor of the GH2 without vignetting on all focal length. Just ordered mine, but cheap shipping will take 1-4 weeks O.o (I hope for 1 week;-)

• I have the BMCC and have the BMPCC on order, so I'm good, but it looks like some lenses could vignette on most MFT cameras.

• Me thinks that the Zeiss Primes, all of them, are okay. The Tokina 11-16/2.8's almost certain to be fine, and I believe the old school Primes -- 24/2, 50/1.4 etc.

And I REALLY hope the 18-35/1.8 works with this... major killer.

• @apix from the fotodiox site: "on older Nikon lenses with a aperture dial on the lens, the blue dial on the adapter can act as a depth of field preview lever allowing you to switch back and forth between wide open and stopped down to a certain f-stop."

I think that means you can set the stop on your iris and then use the blue ring to engage or dis engage the stop you set on the lens. Nikkors use a small mechanical lever to set the internal stop and I think the blue ring engages the lever, whether it's an older F lens (Ai, AiS) or newer G lens. I think D lenses were their early autofocus lenses before the G lenses.

• 21.6 = diagonal of m4/3 sensor

26.7 = diagonal of APS-C sensor

26.7x0.72=19.224

19.224 is 89% of 21.6, the mft diagonal

Looking solely at this numbers, if APS-C lens image circle radius is less than 11% larger than APS-C sensors' diagonal, then it will not cover m4/3 sensor (with 0.72 focal reducer) and will vignette.

PS. Tokina 11-16mm covers FF sensor @16mm.

• @Brandt thanks for the heads up on the FB coupon code (googled it). FYI, it ends 6/30. Saving $24 off the $159.99 price and combined shipping of 4.95 to Philadelphia, despite my finances I decided to order 2. Net price: $138 each shipped! Cheaper than the Turbo, tired of waiting for Metabones (can't afford it anyway), and I have a collection of Nikkor AiS glass from the days we used to put them on film cameras (Bolex and Eclair CM3). I use them for low light & shallow DoF on the GH2 (and hate the crop factor). I recently could have really used this for a shoot.

As a side note, it does look a little wider than most adapters. I am anticipating it might interfear with my Manfrotto 394 QR plates.

Also there is no mention of setting the infinity focus, as I understand is necessary on the MB.

If the IQ is crap I can send it back...
    Thanks everyone, this made my day. I am soooo glad I sold my 7D for the GH1 years ago.

• Considering that the coupon code ends in three days, I'm tempted to hit the buy button. But in case of a crap product, returning it would be a pain in the ass since I live in Europe.

Darn, don't know what to do.

• @niGGo I live in Europe too, but I fell under the influence of a hypnotic spell and did it. Let's hope for the best

• @flablo Then good luck, I guess! I hope someone gets his hand on this little baby in the next three days, if it's any good I'll happily order one. What an amazing price point!

• Mine shipped out of WAUKEGAN, IL yesterday, so I figure it'll be here Saturday. Maybe in time for a wedding shoot I'm helping out with on Saturday Evening. Not the best time to be testing new equipment, but what the hell right?

• I have an outside the box thoughts for our non-US friends. If you have someone on personal-view that you trust, perhaps you can have your adapter sent to them and wait out the return period while we get a sense of the IQ. This way, you can ask them to ship it back for you and reimburse them for the $5 shipping expense using PayPal.

For those who choose to keep their adapters after the return period, just cover the FedEx cost.

• Fotodiox returned my email ...but w/o much info. Basically he said for now the nikon g to m43 and nex are all they have planned but "perhaps" in the future. I'd recommend a writing campaign requesting other mounts .

• @kurth

Do not worry, bunch of such stuff will be available. Just wait a little.

• Mmm, got feedback from Fotodiox about shipping "UPS shipping is not available in your area. We used USPS Express Mail instead." From what I found that is worse but also less expensive. Shouldn't they give some money back if they use a different shipping method than the one I payed for? EDIT: maybe USPS is not that bad, I mean looks like it's comparable to UPS or FedEx. We'll see

• @flablo, A quick search on USPS and UPS show that Express Mail is more costly than both UPS ground and UPS Next Day Air Saver. Maybe your ZIP code skews the rates a bit?

• @flabo Depends how efficient your local USPS is. In my area the postal service rivals UPS as far as delivery promptness is concerned, as well as price and condition of parcel typically (the last comparison is hit-or-miss). As for price the difference on such a delivery is most likely negligible.

• Sorry, forgot to mention I'm from Europe! I payed for UPS Express Mail. When I searched for USPS I found lots of people mentioning "postal service" so I feared it was some kind of ordinary mail service (and ordinary mail to/in Italy is aaaaargh). But after deeper research it looks like it is comparable to UPS. Let's see. Hope to give useful feedback for other europeans willing to buy the adapter.

• Thanks to @Feha for his video here: http://www.personal-view.com/talks/discussion/7350/for-sale-kipon-lens-adapters-nikon-g-ais-to-m43-mft

He shows @ 4:16 how on a similar Nikkor G to MFT adapter you can stop down the Nikkor AiS lens and then use the adapter's ring for G lenses to set the iris, the bonus is that it becomes click less! Great if you need to do an iris pull or an "in-between" f stop". (I assume all the Nikkor G to MFT lens adapters work the same way).

BTW he is selling his adapters for a good price too.

• I placed my order at 3am and today at Noon I received notification that my order with $5 USPS shipping has shipped, tracking # given, but, not on the USPS tracking site yet.

Yes they are in stock, yes they are processing the orders fast.

• Just found out they shipped mine too but I wouldn't worry about not being able to find tracking info. I've shipped many things and bought many things using USPS and automatic labels. It seems maybe over 50% of the time, they are never in the damn USPS system. This includes items bought and sold over ebay when everything is automatic. BTW, it says mine was shipped priority instead of flat or express. I didn't pay extra so I'm sure it's a crap shoot as to when they'll come in.

• Mine will arrive Saturday.