Personal View site logo
Black Magic: Official $1,995 raw cinema camera topic, series 2
  • 1111 Replies sorted by
  • I didn't make this, looks like a majority was shot with BMCC and I'm guessing a few clips with a MKII.

• Is anyone experiecing strobing on the BMC? I've always shot handheld with the GH2 and never had problems with faster pans an strobing but on the BMC it is noticable present.

• @sicovdplas --- Yes I have had the strobing. I changed my shutter to a value lower than 180deg and strobing was gone. To be fair you can see the strobing on the screen whilst previewing.

@johnbrawley --- Double thanks for the comments. I lost 4 clips, although this was during the first day I had the camera. Took it to a wedding and it locked out after 10GB of disk use. I found that there were errors on the partition using MacOSX disk utility (only on the partition, the disk was good). On repair of the partition I carried the camera around pressing record as many times as I could until the battery died -- no problems. Have subsequently used the camera on a job --- all fine.

However I have a EF 85mm f1.2 MkII lens. When attached to the BMCC and set to manual focus the focus ring will not engage -- which is extra double sad. I expect that the BMCC is not raising the right signal on the lens interface to allow this to happen.

Currently I do not understand how to conform video of differing frame rates and keep audio sync in Resolve. I'm just create a project per frame rate at the moment. Called BMCC tech support who were very pleasant - but they didn't know either. I hope to get a masterclass on Resolve from Anthony Bert at some point.

I think I'm going to love/hate this camera in equal measure!

• @andyharris

However I have a EF 85mm f1.2 MkII lens. When attached to the BMCC and set to manual focus the focus ring will not engage -- which is extra double sad. I expect that the BMCC is not raising the right signal on the lens interface to allow this to happen.

Interesting -- I rented a BMCC last weekend, with a set of three Canon L-series primes. The 35mm and 50mm worked just fine, but the 85mm wouldn't focus at all. I wonder if this is a known issue?

• Yes, you can read about the Canon 85/1.2 on the bmcuser forum.

Regarding Resolve: rather conform your framerate in another program for now, it is accepting different framerates, but dealing with them by the most primitve method. Version 10 will have optical flow, though, I suppose they'll work on better audio sync too.

• It's good to know BM is progressing, but they really need to sort out their audio problems and get meters. Also, Robert is awesome.

• What a superb example of what this camera is capable of. Download the full HD version

http://vimeo.com/groups/blackmagicuser/videos/66164396

• @HenryO thanks for posting that is by far the best Blackmagic footage I've seen so far Wow!!!! that's just insane.. the amount of detail is out of this world.

• yeah that's very nice

• @kholi if you have time, can you shoot a quick vid to compare the Voigtlander (17.5 or 25mm) look to the Zeiss (ZE or ZF) look on close-up skin tones with the BMCC MFT? I think you said you were planning to compare SLR Magic with Voigt at some point. Maybe you can throw your Zeiss in the mix too. Thanks

I'm trying to decide if I should budget for a Zeiss lens.

• Blackmagic announced the BMCC MFT is shipping as of today and people should start receiving them next week.

http://forum.blackmagicdesign.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=7714&start=330#p55930

• @Brian202020 Woohoo! Can't wait to start shooting with the BMCC MFT.

• Just got a call from Markertek, and my BMCC MFT is shipping out today. I'm in no hurry so I took the free shipping route. It'll probably arrive late this week early next week.

• I'm tiddly as always after an 18 hour day of heavily funded "real OBdoc TV" Believe me after the camera man (DOP ahem) and F55 choice heralded a massive 5 hour argument we had with the "DOP" but nothing matters - trust me just get a story? - shoot the fooker in the budget. Even faced with the 50k overhead of polishing the turd of no sound and teens shooting it (which it will be!) the "camera (boy) sorry DOP " still got his way shooting home video stylee lol - hell I don't care (I do!) I charge by the hour, but I was genuinely asking WTF in a pre prod meeting - something I've never even joked about before - it seems we are entering an age of breakthrough directors (lovely) insisting on their (slightly less than) breakthrough mates DOPing lol- hey if you love post and having coffee with us and spunking money - many thanks! It's great we can capture rapidly and at great resolution, but the basic principles of shooting with separate capture devices (a la fim!) hasn't changed - however seems now no-one can be arsed to roll, call,clap, mark and make - it takes 10 bloody seconds! Feel free to pump money into post and many thanks! x I still expect the production managers email asking why it cost so much in a few months after all this - welcome to making stuff!

• That conversation lead onto the "RAW" debate with the head of MCR tech at this company - I'll cut down the convo to "fuck off" " no" "I'm off" and in monetary terms - "won't happen yet in commercial TV due to inherent costs". RAW, aside from Red's incursion (hated by post and budgets!) Post don't want or need RAW .Bushes are gonna be sharp as fook, but Take That's wrinkles aren't. Sorry to be cynical - I know fook all aside from my missus's ramblings nightly (she owns a post house) - My Chums were out drinking the same tequila as me tonight - they directed the Olympics and Oscars, Superbowl and Victoria's Secrets this year (again) and after 3 half's of cider they're not convinced either. The production manager is pre hating the influx of RAW as no budget extension will come - sadly tech has overtaken requirements and the prod manager making the progs don't give a flying fook - budget is budget - there's no persuasion! Funnily as above the F55 came up twice in budget meetings today go figure!

• Look what was at my house waiting for me when I got home.

IMG_2197.jpg
    850 x 638 - 108K
  • @Brian202020

Let us know how it will work.

• BMDCC beside Alexa.

I was very suprised at the first sight, at a second look Alex looks more crisp an clear

see also making of:

• @soundgh2

I'll cut down the convo to "fuck off" " no" "I'm off" and in monetary terms - "won't happen yet in commercial TV due to inherent costs". RAW, aside from Red's incursion (hated by post and budgets!) Post don't want or need RAW .Bushes are gonna be sharp as fook, but Take That's wrinkles aren't. Sorry to be cynical - I know fook all aside from my missus's ramblings nightly (she owns a post house) - My Chums were out drinking the same tequila as me tonight - they directed the Olympics and Oscars, Superbowl and Victoria's Secrets this year (again) and after 3 half's of cider they're not convinced either. The production manager is pre hating the influx of RAW as no budget extension will come

Ok, well... there are definitely more production friendly cameras than the Blackmagic for those situations then. It seems to me the Blackmagic cams will suit smaller, more-adaptable, production teams that are capable of designing their own workflow and post-production practices. Just don't get upset when teams that have adapted, and work well with RAW, are getting all the work/project offers... as it does offer allot more creative flexibility when you have the means to work with it.

• Well damn, the BMCC looks pretty damn good to me for $3000! I mean come on now. 99.9% of the people out there would never know the difference. With the cost of SSD's and storage dropping faster than Tara Reids career did, this is just getting better all the time. I'd like to really know the difference in work flow time Raw really takes. I've been in a few national commercials now that film with REDS and hearing about more here in LA. I'm wondering how much PITA it really is for post. Not that I have any knowledge at all. Seems like the BMPCC and it's ProRes might be great for commercial work when you don't have low light concerns. That is as long as you can get the same pleasing image from the sensor.

• And i thought that tiger was CG.

• OK, it will probably make most of you BMCC lovers cringe, but this morning I tried out my brand new BMCC MFT with probably the worst MFT lens I have -- the Olympus 15mm f8 lens cap.

Here's the result. Definitely some issues with this lens. :-)

• it appears that your olympus lens cap has a hole in it =)