Personal View site logo
Official Sony A77 topic
  • 111 Replies sorted by
  • We just downloaded the original mts files. Not good on the codec end with motion. It's actually a great reminder of how very good the hack is making the GH2 look, as you start to get used to things looking that solid.
  • Me having no interest in buying A77. A-mount... I don't know.

I just wanna know how new features Sony is introducing perform. Of course focusing on video related features. While recording video, how's IQ of EVF? Any motion artifact from 1080p60 AVCHD? HDMI output analysis? Rolling shutter, tonal gradation, dynamic range, color curves, noise control, moire, aliasing on video clips?

Prolly too early to tell.
  • @Vitaliy_kislev

ill upload pictures soon. But the buffer rate is the same through out the every reso. Tried lowering down the reso to 24mp and below, its all the same. I thought lower reso will result in faster write to the card but turns out no. Same problem. LOL!
  • From now, as we seen, A 77 seems to be a fucking piece of marketing.
    Let's wait a couple of weeks, we'll got a better look about that we need here:
    - great codec or full hdmi 4.2.2 out
    - real FULL HD definition and not S-VHS one :-)
    - real Dynamic Range

DPreview test the video part and ... no comment :-/

as says @Aria, lets wait for ver 1.0.
    sonyA77.jpg
    1919 x 1078 - 248K
    GH2.jpg
    1916 x 1077 - 698K
  • "I am more than happy to wait for Canon or Nikon. " Keep waiting cause they will disappoint you. They have left features out of ALL of their DSLR's, with no exceptions.

"The 5D is no consumer camera. " It is in fact intended to be a prosumer/entry pro cam not a pro camera. Pro is the 1D line. Many pro photog's are moving to the 5D and that has surprised Canon like everything else. This will no doubt affect their 1D line as well as the 5DmkIII's pricing(it should be higher). In this economic climate there is no reason to release a $3k consumer DSLR when the current model still sell's robustly.

Pixel peeping is pointless. Get the camera that works best for you. Its like people clamoring for clean HDMI out when most camcorders can already do that. When the GH2 came out there were like 3 people testing the HDMI output while hundreds were praying it worked, AS if it would actually improve their home videos. Features should be more important.

Features are more important for my daily work at digital agency. A77 is weather sealed, big , 1080/60 and has a host of other features that are important to me, but the lens adaptability issues will probably keep me away. If nikkon lenses easily adapt it would be a must buy for me.

I love DSLR's, but right now they just don't work for me when I need them to. The GH2 comes the closest. DSLR's will always be crippled in some way, because they are not aimed at the indie filmmakers. As of yet there is no DVX100 for the HDSLR era at a reasonable price IMHO. Camcorders in the sub 3k range are a phenomenal deal right now and no one cares because they think they cant make the next great movie with them.
  • @Vitaliy_Kislev

I do understand your point about pixel peepers, but on the other side you have to expect a certain quality at mid high ISO. I am not talking of 6400 and above for an Apsc camera but when your 800 and 1600 are like mud with so much NR, then you can be critical. I would say that to todays level you should expect good 800 and 1600 ISO. Now it is not a final firmware, so I will reserve my judgement when more test are done with a production camera. For now on paper the camera is fantastic (good for marketing selling a 24 megapixel camera) but for now the most important... image quality seems not that good, but it is only early days. I hope it is not more form over substance. I really hope that we will see better example and for video also to see about moire/aliasing etc
  • Canon you use Canon FD glass with the A77? With an adapter without a lens inside? Thanks, Jon
  • http://www.dpreview.com/previews/sonyslta77/page8.asp

Raw video file downloads...but nothing special.

All in all...its too early days to make a real opinion and give facts...I was interested in the Nex 7...but here in uk official price is 999 pounds body only...which is too expensive for my liking...so im gonna wait.
  • Until these cameras are in the hands of actual consumers and being fully pushed to the limit, it's hard to get too crazy about the very limited videos we've seen. I think it's great that the VDSLR community has some new toys that seem to have pushed the capabilities another step forward. Each step makes it that much more likely we'll get more of what we want from the other companies trying to outdo what Sony has done.

I'm still excited about the functions that these cameras bring to the table. I have Canons right now and have been hoping and praying for 5DMKIII. This makes me even more anxious to see what Canon does. IMO a new 5DmkII is most likely to sit at the top of the heap again but when will we see it and how far will Canon push. Has Sony made them have to go further than they already may have wanted to go? I hope so. What will Panasonic do?

A77 is an aggressive step by Sony no matter how you slice it. They went all in on TMT and OLED EVF. Also for those complaining about 12fps taking too long to buffer, remember that it's still 12fps! They've pushed Canon to improve 7D and that's what we want. Maybe new firmware will improve things by time of sale.
  • For Me, No A 77!
  • @Vitaliy_Kislev
    The 5D is no consumer camera.

@EOSHD
    You always talk about rumors and press release like you have used the product, but you are only judging specs while all the sample images and videos look crap compared to what's out there already. Marketing people must love sensational journalist like you.

Add the crippled features to that and what's left? A technological advance that is mediocre in execution, like it always is with Sony products.

I am more than happy to wait for Canon or Nikon.

Also:
    The megapixel race started again... 24MP is just a marginal improvement over 16MP but it demands perfect lenses. I prefer to stay where we are now and work on the software side of things and improve the current sensors (better read out, no moire, no rolling shutter, 4:2:2 codecs).
  • @Vitaliy_Kislev "You have absolutely no reason to use 4:2:2 MPEG2 encoder in such a camera.'

Well, that is up to me. I would certainly benefit from it. Same with the production company I shoot content for. I could deliver a whole new level of flexibility and content. I also, work with the XF100 quite a bit and the 50mb/s 4:2:2 is VERY easy to work with... It would be no problem at all in the next generation.

There's also no reasons not to do it. Especially since I'm simply not going to buy the new Mark III if it doesn't shoot at least 4:2:2. I told this to many Canon reps in person... and their response is always "yea... we know. You and everyone else". They don't have a choice at this point.

Hell, there's no reason that a FF stills cameras should shoot HD video in the first place either, but they do. If there's profit to be made and a market... it'll happen. :)
  • @bwhitz

It is just talks.
    You have absolutely no reason to use 4:2:2 MPEG2 encoder in such a camera.
    Both from low level perspective and consumer perspective it will be just one big trouble.
  • @Vitaliy_Kiselev "No one will be going to give you 50-100mbps codecs in consumer photo camera."

Probably not Sony or Panasonic. But when I talked to Canon reps at NAB, they sounded pretty adamant about not using AVCHD and hinted at using thier 50mb/s 4:2:2 mpeg codec for the next generation. It's not to far of a stretch, their already shooting 45mb/s...

Here's a good interview with Tim Smith that make me feel better about the codecs in Canon's next DSLRs...

http://gotvshowtime.com/369/camera-gear-hddslr-canon-la/

Basically... they're not afraid of DSLRs taking away sales of the traditional video cameras once they have better codecs. They understand that they're just different tools.
  • About noise again.

I can even predict with 99% accuracy that next main complains thing will be caused by the fact that it is not extra easy to find the lenses that'll look sharp on 24mp APS-C sensor in 1:1 mode for pixel peepers .
  • @bwhitz

Be calm.
    No one will be going to give you 50-100mbps codecs in consumer photo camera.
    I repeat, no one, in near future.
    Reason - many customer complains to support lines citing that camera stopped during recording very interesting process of their doughter vommiting, and yes, they have large card and selected best quality :-)
  • @EOSHD

When manufactures stop giving us these marginal codecs... 24mb/s second long-GOP is not what I would call a great film-making codec. It's not terrible by any means... but then again, it is... when you consider what they could be shooting with these modern processors. I'm going to bet that these Sony cams are going to have the same garbage-shadow problems that the GH2 had before the hack.

I actually prefer the Canons H.264 codec to a non-hacked AVCHD stream. I think that the "inefficientness" of it lead to less motion estimation (more film-like) and more detail in the shadows... since it was encoding the image as a whole... and not looking for areas to throw out detail. It's soft for sure... but the image is consistent at least. Can't say the same for AVCHD... it looks great until you start grading and find those "surprise areas" where the encoder decided to chuck all the data out the window. The light part of someones face will look like Red footage and then when the exposure starts to drop, it looks like an SD quality youtube video. Damn I hate AVCHD... at least the way their implementing it from the factory.
  • I'll be honest.... I'm not impressed with the video samples on Vimeo. That might not mean much since I wasn't impressed with most cameras when they first came out. But still....
  • >but go on the photo website like dpreview etc and see the negativity that is comming out about the image quality of the A77

It is not negativity, it is bunch of pixel peeping lovers looking at high ISO.
    Idiots, to be blunt.
    It is easy to do, do not require any logic or hard mind action.
    Even conclusions are mostly wrong.
    So, it is lovely and such topics on dpreview have very low value.
  • Since I wrote my last post I see that you have responded, but go on the photo website like dpreview etc and see the negativity that is comming out about the image quality of the A77. At first you say whow about the 24 megapixel then when you see the samples on imagingresource (mid high iso) you get a cold shower. What I see is lot of features as you said above but what count for me above all is that it is an imaging hardware and if in the end the image is not that good then why bother. There was an interview of a Sony rep and he only focused on the features and dismissed the question on image quality.
  • I just read the article and as someone who is a lot here, I would like to know how @eoshd came to the conclusion of recommending the sony camera for filmmakers. He does not even have all the details. The A77 is feature pack, but until we know exactly about the hdmi output the hack gh2 will beat it in pure image quality any-day. How by magic the Sony A77 24 mbit avchd suppose to beat the 66 and more GH23.Vk !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

@fstopandgo, me also, I am asking me if it is not the big surprise. The VG10 was so crippled that I think a lot of people have disgarded the VG line. In terms of photo quality the A77 is getting a bad rap because the mid to high Iso example are not good at all. Now some are saying that the Sony has a crap jpeg engine and that it is not final firmware, so we will have to wait and see.
  • Wow what negativity from some. 1080/60p, manual control, 24p, the best AF yet seen, the best EVF ever made and OLED, 24 megapixel stills, a pro mirrorless, when WILL people be happy??
  • My problem with the A-mount is adaptability. Even canon can take my nikors. I am more curious about the VG-20.
  • I don't know why you criticise the A-mount so much! I think it's one of the better mounts out there... Minolta glass is superb, some Minolta "G" lenses matches and sometimes exceeds Canon "L" glass. And you have some gems there like the Minolta 100 f/2, Minolta 135 STF and Minolta 200 f/2.8. And you can use some exclusive Zeiss lenses like the unique 135mm 1.8.
    I'm really excited about this new camera... even being a m43 user.