Personal View site logo
Panasonic and Fujifilm sharing continues
  • After combining LSI efforts they move to sensors.

• Industry's highest dynamic range of 88dB to prevent highlight clipping and produce a vivid and texture-rich image even in low light
    • 1.2 times higher sensitivity than conventional sensors to capture clear images even in low light
    • Range of incident angle expanded to 60 degrees for faithful color reproduction
    • Offering high reliability for broader applications

FUJIFILM Corporation (President: Shigehiro Nakajima) and Panasonic Corporation (President: Kazuhiro Tsuga) have developed organic CMOS image sensor technology that uses an organic photoelectric conversion layer with a photoelectric conversion property at the light receiving section of an image sensor to achieve performance beyond that of conventional image sensors. Applying this technology to the image sensors of digital cameras and other imaging devices expands its dynamic range and enhances sensitivity*4 further to prevent highlight clipping in bright scenes and capture a dark subject with vivid colors and rich textures.

The industry has put into continuous efforts to explore image sensor technologies for increasing their number of pixels. This has dramatically improved sensor resolutions, but, in order to further boost image quality, it is necessary to expand the dynamic range, enhance sensitivity and prevent cross-talk or color mixing between pixels. Panasonic took advantage of its semiconductor device technology to boost image quality for its high-performance image sensors. Fujifilm, on the other hand, has developed highly-reliable organic photoelectric conversion layer with high absorption coefficient to be used on a sensor's light receiving section instead of silicon photodiode5 in its effort to build a new image sensor technology. In the latest collaboration, Fujifilm and Panasonic have combined Fujifilm's organic photoelectric conversion layer technology with Panasonic's semiconductor device technology to jointly develop an organic CMOS image sensor that outperforms conventional image sensors. The new organic CMOS image sensor offers the industry's highest dynamic range of 88dB, advanced sensitivity 1.2 times more sensitive than conventional sensors and broader range of incident angle6 to enable the production of more sensitive and compact cameras with better image quality. The two companies will promote the application of this organic CMOS image sensor technology to a wide range of products including security cameras, in-vehicle cameras, mobile device and digital cameras

Via: http://www.fujifilm.com/news/n130611.html

• 10 Replies sorted by
  • It would be nice if they also make any forecasts on when the first organic CMOS would be commercially available. That and the Panasonic color splitters instead of the conventional color filter method of the Bayer array allowing to collect 1.85 times more light.

• When this comes out I will finally join the "raw makes obsolete all your skills" tread.. g AMAZING numbers!

• the sooner they get this technology into a camera the better. with that much DR you could shoot things you can't even see and find them in post!

• While the announcement sounds interesting, I wonder why the "color splitter instead of conventional filter" aspect has not made it into the illustration.

I guess we'll have to wait, as usual, whether and when any of the features from the labs make it to the shelves...

Ah, and btw.: I wonder why photos of new sensor chips still look like a lot of light is actually reflected on their surface, even from obtuse angles. Shouldn't they look almost pitch black, ideally?

• A GX2 with body stabilization, focus peaking, EVF, rangefinder design, body stabilization and this new technology would be a wet dream. And then that technology in the GH5. :)

• Finally my short films will be top notch hollywood quality! This is what has been keeping me from getting millions of dollars! It's not the shitty storylines, I swear!

I wonder what RED will do with their Dragon sensor now. Only 19 stops? Blargh!

• They say 88dB, which is around 15 stops ( http://learn.hamamatsu.com/articles/dynamicrange.html ). It is still very good improvement. According to DxOMark measurements, most of G series is roughly 11 stops.

Hope they won't cripple it in-camera with 8bit codec. All joking aside, it is about time for high dynamic range video codecs, raw or otherwise, to become commonplace in con/prosumer devices.

• Neokoo, wikipedia claims 88 db is far more than 15 stops: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dynamic_range