Personal View site logo
PTool v3.66d public beta topic
  • 105 Replies sorted by
  • @Dam4ge you're not first who had that problem. I remember some months ago somebody wrote about that. But I've read it briefly and no idea in which topic it was, use zhe search field (right, up)

• @Dam4ge try to go slow. First have a folder with nothing but the ptools exe file and the Panasonic firmware file, and try to run it to see if it works. Then add one hack file to one of the options next and see if it works, etc. I have Win 7 and no such instability here, so be patient, as something is wrong but not obvious yet.

• Hey, this is my first time hacking my GH2. I've searched for anyone having this issue and it seems I'm the first?

My whole PC freezes when 3.66d is loaded and I'm browsing the different patches (A, B, C etc)

It's happened 3 times so far, always when reading the patch descriptions, have to do a hard reset.

I'm running windows 7 on a quad core with 8gb of ram, it never really lags or crashes at all.

I'm loading popular patches from Driftwood, Drewnet T9, moon T7, SpizzT6, NebulaT7, red shift etc. and a couple from Mysteron.

I'm not super confidant about hacking my GH2 with this happening. Is it the normal instability of a Beta, if so I haven't found a link to download 3.65 which according to the release notes is the last time anything related to GH2 was affected.

Despite my troubles, thanks for all your hard work! As a filmmaker I'm greatly appreciative of your work even if I haven't yet managed to benefit from it!

• Dam
  • Small typo on my last post setting bitrate @ 22 megs for all video modes type avchd/MP4 never fails anything above that on all video modes will randomly get the recording cancelled due to card speed camera then freezes and a battery pull is required....ICP when it does record works fine at 32 megs haven't tested higher bit rates interestingly enough I get the error for write speed more often when using the panaleica 25mm 1.4 and less often using the pana 14/45 attached to my GX1 ...

• @vitality My camera was bought in NY it is NTSC and shows japanese on it the video out option comes up on menu only after the patch is applied but it is grayed out and cannot be selected I reverted to original firmware and disappared from menu then reapplied the firmware, I tried the firmware that gives the option on a PAL GX1 of a friend of mine in europe he gets the PAL -> NTSC I do not I only get the video out menu grayed out, as far as video hack going anywhere between 24 and 32 megs AVHCD and MP4 I get random errors of recording cancelled due to speed of card if I put it at 20 megs not a single error I tried several SD card formatted in camera including HSI 45 MB write/read speed all same Issue however when it does record I can play back files in camera no problem both AVHCD and MP4

• @Mordae Nice to hear it works, mate!

• @tetakpatak, @Vitaliy_Kiselev Just checked and the menu was there, I guess I just missed it last time. The good news though is that the menu works on the PAL version (Finland bought).

• @Vitaliy_Kiselev ah, novice member mistake. sorry.

• Last sharing my test results tonight. :) As for movie playback freezing goes, the maximum bitrate increase I could use without freezing camera was Video Bitrate FSH/SH -> same as default @ 16000000 Video Bitrate 1080p MP4 -> up to 22000000 (default 20000000. 23000000 returned mixed result ) I didn't try to change 720p settings as I don't use that resolution. The camera can 'record' video fine with higher bitrate (tested upto 42000000), it is only 'viewing the video (of any bitrates) on camera' that freezes the whole system. Doesn't seem like hardware limitation but a bug.

Thank you, and again forgive me if this is repetition of the already known facts. Regards,

• @Vitaliy_Kiselev Sorry for the too many posts. One last thing - the freezing on movie playback I mentioned happens only when I touch the avchd bitrate. Mp4 bitrate change doesn't seem to affect the playback.

Thank you.

Nevermind. It seems freezing keeps happening as long as I want to increase any bitrate. Even if I don't increase AVCHD's rate, I need to check the menu to have mp4 bitrate change affected and movie playback freezes.

• @Vitaliy_Kiselev

Mine is U.S. NTSC model.

I reverted back to default firmware and confirmed that 'video out' doesn't show up at all in NTSC cameras, and only after ptool hack with 'PAL-NTSC' on the menu shows up but greyed out.

Another problem is that after increasing bitrate (I doubled bitrates for each mode, which is slightly lower than the recommended value), the camera freezes whenever I try to playback a movie file. (any movie files, even the ones shot with normal bitrate.) I don't know if this is a known issue.

Thank you!

• I have GX1 NTSC model. After applying the hack with PAL <-> NTSC on, 'Video Out' menu in the setup is still greyed out and not selectable.

It i closer, but still not complete.

Your camera is Japanese NTSC, right?

• @Vitaliy_Kiselev @tetakpatak I have GX1 NTSC model. After applying the hack with PAL <-> NTSC on, 'Video Out' menu in the setup is still greyed out and not selectable.

• @elee, @simone9it, @Mordae Guys, did you for sure check in the Ptool option PAL/NTSC before saving the new firmware? I dont own GXx, but for GHx firmwares that option must be checked in the Ptool, otherwise no way of switching between PAL and NTSC.

• If I remember correctly, there is no menu item at all. Might be grayed though. Can't remember.

If you can't remember, who can?

• @Vitaliy_Kiselev If I remember correctly, there is no menu item at all. Might be grayed though. Can't remember.

• @elee @simone9it

Can you explain me in details what is not working. And your camera region. Is camera menu item grayed out?

• Hi @Vitality_kiselev and @ elee can you please let me know as well ? would love to know if possible to have the PAL working on a NTSC GX1 camera as well.. I can beta test it if needed thanks again :)

• Hi @Vitaliy_Kiselev Does it look likely that the NTSC-PAL switching would be enabled in the next release? If it's restricted by GX1's hardware limitation would you please let me know?

Thanks in advance.

• @elee

I'll look into this.

• So no hope of enabling 25p / 50p in NTSC model? :-(

• Same Issue here video out option is disabled/grayed out in the NTSC version of the camera ...I confirmed it works only on a european version of the camera, likely to prevent people from reselling cheap hacked camera's in the european market...kind of sucks I hope this can be changed for our cameras too but I am not holding my breath.

• Hi I just got GX1 and used Ptool (thank you for the great tool!)

I have a question though. Is the NTSC-PAL switching not enabled for US (NTSC) GX1 models? I see 'Video out' menu but it is greyed out. Any plan for enabling this in the near future? (If not I'll have to sell this off and buy European version.)

Thank you.