Personal View site logo
Your warranty may be void
  • I'm sure this isn't huge news to most people here, but thought it interesting.

http://www.diyphotography.net/dear-canonnikonpanasonic-can-i-use-custom-firmware-my-camera

tl;dr: Using ML on Canon won't void your warranty, but PV's hack and other Nikon custom firmware will void your warranty on your Panasonic or Nikon cameras.

• 5 Replies sorted by
  • Panasonic consumer warranties are worthless anyway. The only way I would buy my GH3 was to buy an after market "No questions asked" warranty. The Broadcast division warranties seem to be fine but I bought the same aftermarket warranty with my AC160 anyway.

• @ahbleza I've tried some time ago to find someone on the web complaining about a voided warranty after a Lumix camera hack, without luck.

The same goes for people able to prove that a hack has bricked a camera.

I think the most risky part of the hack process is a bad move during firmware upgrade, but again, the few people who has experienced that used a non panasonic battery, which is known to be highly inadvisable.

• @ahbleza

I think it is 10th repeating of same approach. Used to scare people.

• @lenuisible I had to laugh when I read about the Panasonic technician that claimed the hacks would burn the image sensors out. I honestly never understood the scare tactics. Without the hack, neither the 1 or 2 would have achieved a fraction of the popularity they have gotten.

• I think the Panasonic should not make hard to hack encrypted firmware etc ... After the hack they sold much more GH2 than before ... If i pay and own my camera than it is up to me what i want to do with it ...

Also using third party batteries may void your warranty, if you "tell them" ...