Personal View site logo
Panasonic G6 topic, GH2 replacement camera
  • 1330 Replies sorted by
  • I know everyone thinks I'm crazy, but the GH1 hacked is still extremely solid for documentary interview work. I have a Canon T2i with Magic Lantern and it is great for about 20 minutes or so until it overheats (that is no joke). But the GH1 runs and runs forever.

The GH2 would be great for my work as well, however, it can be as much as $1k used.

Because I could use a third camera for my next project, I think that the G6 makes perfect sense. It has 24p along with 60p at 1080, and the wifi thing could be very useful. If the body price is reasonable, you could couple it with the Nexus tablet for monitoring and playback (apparently the IOS app does not allow video playback). That total price might be around the same price as the used GH2.

The body price is yet to be available, but I would like to buy it with a used 14mm 2.5. If Panasonic would sell it with that lens, I might even preorder if the price was right. Otherwise, I will hold out for the body price.

• 1k used? What are you people smoking? I want some. LOL. I got my gh2 for 600 used. A few weeks later I saw them new for 499. Now I know they have gone up a bit, not sure why, but 1k used? Only a fool.

• No doubt that a GH2 body only could be picked up for $600-$800 (just monitor eBay). Most offerings of GH2 are packaged with extras and the price goes up. But I think the G6 new for less or same money makes more sense. In my work, it would be a third camera (I just don't use the Canon for anything other than stills, even though ML is awesome).

• The Panasonic Lumix G6 has not made great strides and leaps in it’s image quality in comparison to it’s predecessor, but the G5 is no slouch. As an entire package though, Panasonic has another hit here with a professional level camera that happens to fit nicely with the advanced enthusiasts as well. The new and improved manual video controls, audio input jack, and focus peaking make this camera an amazing tool for videographers on a budget. It would work wonderful for electronic news gathering, run and gun situations, and creating whatever imagery you can come up with.

http://www.smallcamerabigpicture.com/panasonic-lumix-g6-review-a-complete-professionals-package/

• @Vitaliy Care to share your thoughts on this threads topic (G6 replacement for GH2)?

• isn't focus peaking a software thing? theoretically speaking couldn't that be an upgrade for the gh2? would be nice.

• @Stylz...interestingly that's a point. Because of the sensor , it might be easier to add FP to the gh2 rather than to the gh3. However, if you remember, the g6 has a new processor....which also might be the responsible party.

• @kurth @Stylz I thought because it has a new processor they are able to implement focus peaking and that is the reason why it won't ever be available for the GH3. If so, then no magic will ever allow the GH2 to get focus peaking added to it (plus there isn't anything like Magic Lantern for the GH2 which is a complete rewrite, which is what would be required to get focus peaking).

• I think the only way to get focus peaking with a GH2, is to use an EVF (with FP). Zacuto Z-Finder EVF for example.

• Do we know if focus peaking will work with adapted lenses?

Wondering if its a electronic lens only thing.

• There is a thing that intrigues me with focus peaking: Panasonic said that they will never implement it in GH3 because of "lacking of processing power" (but it was implemented in G6). Olympus implemented it in E-P5, but when engaged, the frame rate of the LCD screen drops dramatically - which could confirm that focus peaking is a processor taxing feature.

But there are some chinese external monitors (some of then even discussed here in Personal View) that have focus peaking - and I doubt that they have a lot of processing power, especially for the price. It is VERY strange.

• @Styles The GH2 sells new in Vietnam with kit lens for $1,300 USD. Lots available through Vat Gia.

• @IronFilm...I read the reason the gh3 can't have it is because of the particular toshiba sensor. Therefore it makes some sense , since the gh2 and the g6 share the same sensor, that possibly FP could be added. It would obviously have to be done by pany themselves.

IMHO, it appears , while the gh3 is a wonderful camera, that pany was somewhat overly anxious to get it out the door. Maybe there's something to the chinese rumor that the gh5 will appear sooner rather than later.

• @jonpais-so that would fall under the "only a fool" portion of my comment. Shipping can't be that much from another country to get that much cheaper. Unless Vietnam has some crazy commie import tax.

• @Stylz Precisely why I'm going to order a GH3 from the States and have a colleague bring it when he returns from vacation...

• @DailyFilmFix 'but the GH1 hacked is still extremely solid for documentary interview work'.

I'm with you on this as I have been using the GH1 for nearly three years for extended interview work all without a hitch. I also think that, for what I do, the G6 might just make sense as my first upgrade simply for the variety of extra features it offers over the GH1 and indeed all other GH's. The in camera time-lapse might just be the feature, in particular, that pushes me to buy.

• Any info on electronic shutter mode? Can shutter speed be slower than 1 second on G6, or is it same as G5 and GH3, where electronic shutter is limited to 1" and faster?

• Finally i bought a GH3, and the G6 it's look like a good companion and even better because is smaller and can take it with me more easily, and look's very cool on Gray ;)

• @Vitaliy_Kiselev Are you going to have G6 deals (PAL with no recording limit) once the camera is out?

• Hi guys, I was considering one thing: sell the gh2 and take the g6. For you, it makes sense? After all is the same sensor gh2, even if there isn't an hack, the results are still valid. Would sell sandisk extreme that cost me a lot, it would take a less expensive, and will recover money (maybe even advise me what is "sufficient": just a simple class 10?). Then there are the 60/50 fps at full resolution, and the focus peaking. In this regard, but the focus peaking works with manual lenses compeltamente? I was considering the Voigtlander: if I play with the focus ring, then zoom is activated on the screen? Or at least the zoom can be activated? And there's the focus peaking? Thanks to all

• I have one on order to replace a stolen GH2. I'll post some comparison footage as soon as it arrives.

• @Renovatio Manual lenses with no electronic connection with camera (like Voigtlanders) won't activate peaking or zoom (focus assist.) just by "playing" with the focus ring. You might have to do that manually, just like you do with the magnification now in your GH2 with any manual lens.