Personal View site logo
GH3 Best Video Settings
  • 814 Replies sorted by
  • @Sph1nxster you were absolutely right, I tried a comparison and AVCHD is better with darker areas. One thing I never suspected: 50p AVCHD seems a bit better than 25p AVCHD. Maybe is the noise moving faster so it's less visible? @maddog15 even if you use faster lenses, you'll always have dark areas where exposure is low, so that doesn't really solve the problem. Hope we will get a hack and a nice .mov all-I codec!

• Shouldn't there be concensus regarding low light performance between gh2 and gh3?

• @vicharris Great. That's what I was hoping. Looking into a 20mm prime of some sort. Tried a test with my Pentax 50mm 1.2 prime lens I've had from way back in my college days. That made a difference altogether. (Surprisingly not a bad little lens all things considered.)

• Yep, the 14-140 is a dog in anything but daylight. That's your biggest problem.

• @peternap

I have found the GH3 much better in low light than the GH2. I hated the GH2 image above ISO800 and happily use the GH3 up to 1600.

• @maddog15 I figured that may be your lens. First, my GH2's are better in low light than my 3. That said, the 14-140 is a nice lens in good light and sucks in low light. Settings aren't going to help that much. Try a faster lens, that will help a good bit and hope VK hacks the GH3.

I also don't set my GH3 as flat as my GH2's but again, that isn't going to help with the noise.

• @flablo my statement is purely subjective and my opinion, I don't bother referring to other tests because I need to be happy with my own results in real life situations. I only shoot 50p so have not even considered the 50mbps 25p setting.

50mbps MOV vs 28mbps avchd in low light = far less noise on the avchd codec (IMO)

• @flablo Yes that looks firmiliar. My tests have produced the same results. And for the most part with AVCHD and MOV. I'm trying to aquire a Nikon 20mm f2 AI manual lens. Or perhaps the Lumix 20mm Pancake. Either way I've got to get more light into the GH3 for low light if I'm going to use it for client jobs.

If any one has the 20mm lens and a GH3 I'd love to see screen grabs from your tests. In theory more light should help the issue.

This really makes me appreciate the work of VK, Drifwood and others even more. Makes me look at that "little plastic GH2" with new respect. Don't get me wrong I really live my GH3 - but the irony of this lesson has been enlightening to my brain as we'll as my bank account!

• @Sph1nxster really? Yesterday I've been looking extensively around PV to find which codec is the best, and I came up to the conclusion it is 24/25p 50Mbps .mov, especially from shian extensive tests. I guess I'm baffled again. Sph1nxster, didn't you maybe refer only to All-I mov codec, which is notoriously bad?

• Avchd codec is much cleaner at high iso. I don't use MOV in low light for this reason

• I prefer the GH2 as A cam. moon T5 simply measures better than the GH3... presently.

• @maddog15 I'm experiencing same thing in terms of noise. Sometimes I get extremely noisy and crushed/harsh/dithered shadows, even at low ISO. Look at the detail attached. This was shot at 800 ISO (not so low I know, but not even so high) on a Tokina 11-16, Natural, with settings down to -5, -5, 0, -5. And that noise is really "fizzy". It was 50p anyway, but I experienced same thing even at 25p 50Mbps

Screen shot 2013-05-29 at 09.48.05.png
    1077 x 552 - 931K
  • @peternap Was using the Lumix 14-140. Had the 14-42 kit lens on the GH2

• What lens were you using on the GH3?