Personal View site logo
Panasonic GX7 aka GX2, with IBIS topic
  • 499 Replies sorted by
  • I'm hoping the EVF on this one will be 4:3, rather than 16:9 like on the GH3. With the tiltable EVF rather than an articulated screen, and the IBIS, this camera seems to have been designed with photography in mind. The GH3 EVF gives you a cropped view when taking full sensor 4:3 photos, meaning the image isn't sharp enough to pull off manual focus with fast wide open primes like the Voightlanders.

I'd just like a nice rangefinder style body for going out and shooting manually, and if Panasonic can provide that with the GX7 I'll pick one up. Video features are just a bonus.

• I don't trust IBIS rumor. Also IBIS has the dreadful shutter shock issue.

• @Vitaliy_Kiselev Bad in an engineering perspective. Let them earn their paychecks ;-)

• @evero

IBIS is very bad for video, as sensor is loosing proper heat dissipation.

• Rumors are difficult to trust, but say this turns out right.. I think Ibis will be a Big deal. For me I'm not too interested in the " gx2 " but if implemented in next GH cam... I think that would be the first "video capable" cam enabling stabilizing on a huge rage of primes that is easily adapted. By Then maybe panasonic feels a little heat from mark3 magiclantern raw and blackmagic, pushing them to implement a better codec. The last part would be an awsome new sensor, and We talk a winner :)

• Thanks - I will research

• @matt_gh2

I have no idea. Olymus or Sony only. Never had them.

• @Vitaliy_Kiselev Since Pentax K-01 is very limited and not ideal for narrative filmmaker, what is best camera you would recommend that has IBIS? Thanks

• @matt_gh2

It is not ideal camera. But you could lately proudly say to anchestors that you have it :-) Of course, yellow is the only right option.

http://www.personal-view.com/talks/discussion/2175/pentax-k-01-digital-mirrorless#Item_147

• @Vitaliy_Kiselev Pentax K-01 looks like a good recommendation. How do you think it compares and measures up to the GH2? Do you see any real downside of the K-01 for narrative filmmakers? Thanks

• Would love a camera with in body IS so vintage lenses like my 50mm Lomo could have IS.

Get Pentax K-01 :-)

• As a photo camera an adjustable EVF is awesome. For video an adjustable LCD is better. Can't seem to get the best of both worlds. And if the EVF is built in, finally!

• In body IS would be awesome. This camera would replace my GF2.

• @Vitaliy_Kiselev I agree, in 3-chip camcorders it would be too complicated to physically move a color-separation beam splitter prism assembly + 3MOS-sensors. I believe, the term hybrid comes from correcting for both linear and rotational shakes, by using separate an angular rotation and linear (shift) sensors. Physically it, plausibly, accomplished by means of combination of both: shifting a lens group (hardware) and sub-pixel translational stabilization (software).

• @igorek7

I think it is not sensor based, but software+hadrware OIS one.

• Panasonic has already implemented their Hybrid O.I.S in their digital camcorders and for example in ZS30 (TZ40) compact camera,http://panasonic.net/avc/camcorder/features/hybrid_ois/

In fact, the in-body correction of rotational jitter can be implemented in addition to the in-lens two-axis image stabilization.

The adjustable EVF is a plus, but I hope it would be optional (external) as in GX1.

For me, however, the more interesting unknown specifications of the GX2: the improvements in video and imaging modes; the control dials and menu; the external control and tethering, etc.

• Very surprising if the camera turns out to be that way, especially the IBIS part - generally camera companies choose a stabilization method and stick with it. Panasonic choose OIS, and I always thought that they will never make a sensor stabilized camera.

Tilting EVF is interesting, but I prefer a fixed EVF and a tiltable LCD instead - can't see much use for a tiltable EVF except in tripod use, where a tiltable LCD + focus peaking could handle focus (and since it is in a tripod, sunlight is not so much an issue, you could provide ways of blocking it).

Very interested in this one for stills, if turns out to be that way - I'm planning to buy a E-M5/6 for stills by the end of the year, this could be a good contender if Pana make the quality of photos and IBIS right (don't expect too much in the movie field, probably the same video modes of G6 at best).

• I thought the sensors were usually derived from an upmarket model? Guess not always.

Anyway, it has to have a hot shoe, right? GX1 did, so I guess the patent illustration is just rough. Real questions are if it has manual video control, 24p/25p/30p, and mic input.

• @Cde

Panasonic used sensors that never appeared in GH2 or GH3. Why not?

Whole idea with GH2 sensor has no real foundation.

• @Vitaliy_Kiselev

I'm assuming it's using the GH2 sensor, since they say it's an 18MP sensor. If Panasonic have a new sensor, I doubt they'd use it in a compact/rangefinder design long before it went into a GH camera. On the other hand, it could be that Sony have a new M43 sensor ready for the new OM-D, and Panasonic are using it in this camera as well.

• @Cde

Where you got "GH2 sensor"?

• GH2 sensor? If so, what advantages does G6 have? Hot shoe and tiltable LCD, I guess...