Personal View site logo
Will the BMPCC + Lumix 12-35 be an adequate kit?
  • 36 Replies sorted by
  • Nice again. I guess they are effectively using the 35mm end to get some shallow focus. I still wonder if some shots are another lens...Otherwise great.

• On that one it says the lens whacking shots are done with a Canon 50mm

• Ahh, I was wondering about that. The only footage that looks good and not extremely video like is the stuff done with the 50mm. Dammit! I really need a lens with OIS in this range. Guess I need to get better on my handheld :)

• jimmykorea, why don't you just buy the damn lens so I don't have to keep seeing your petitions for proof. Buy it used and sell it if your negativity matches the performance.

• @tinyrobot Made my morning :)

• I guess they are effectively using the 35mm end to get some shallow focus.

This has more to do with aperture than focal length. You can get shallow focus and nice bokeh shooting 135 format film and a 35mm lens if you're at f/1.4 and likewise you can get shallow focus and nice bokeh shooting MFT on a 17.5mm lens when you're at T/0.95

• @vicharris Granted, a lot of the footage posted from this lens looks very video-ish, but these clips... Not at all... Of course it doesn't look like it was shot on film, but I thought that conversation has long been over... I was under the impression we're trying to get a "professional" look these days, and these clips conclusively show such a look can be achieved with this lens.

• @theconformist I never said it was "professional", I just like the Canon stuff more. I think the word "professional" means 1000 different things to 1000 different people. I'm sure it's a fine piece of glass but so far I really haven't seen too much shot of this I like but I rarely use Pany glass for anything. Just my preference. Who knows, maybe when I get my BMPCC I'll try this and love it. I guess it is the only alternative if one's looking for a stabilized zoom on MFT that's fast.

• This would look the same as a 17-50mm f4 on our GH2s, right? Sure, stabilization and compactness is great, but...

I'll wait for the Nikon G-m43 LensTurbo instead and use it on the Tokina 16-50mm 2.8 (turns it into a 12-35mm 2.0) with true parfocalness, no aperture glitches and no excess sharpening. Spoke to RJ about the Nikon adapter and he would notify as soon as it's out :)

• @oscillian yes it would have roughly the same focal length and aperture as that lens on the gh2

I think you might be waiting a while on that adapter! The advantages of the Tokina are clear, but I plan on renting these cameras out and want to make things as simple as possible for people. Not having them fiddle with adapters, etc reduces risk and allows me to offer cheaper, all-in-one packages. For my personal use I may invest in adaptable lenses down the road, or begin investing in Canon mount glass and the Blackmagic 4K

• @theconformist Makes perfect sense :-)