Personal View site logo
Time for GH3 to have raw video!
  • 62 Replies sorted by
  • If you look at the comparisons of GH3/ML on 5D Mark III/ and 5D stock output the GH3 it is clear why someone needs to at least explore the possibilities of RAW output. I am wondering if a hack could divert RAW data from a GH3 buffer through the HDMI port to avoid possible issues with possible GH3 SD Card processor limits.

• This would be amazing for the GH2/GH3, but just the ability to have a more flat image profile would be great as well. The current hack bitrates are nice and high, but I would just love some flatness to compete on a similar level to raw in post, even if raw itself is not possible. Either way, I've never owned a Canon DSLR, but this makes me want one... I love color grading and having all that raw data to manipulate is a colorist's dream... Here is to hoping for something like this for the GH2... if there is even anything left to gain...

• The pocket cam is a step in the right direction in alot of ways.

• Interesting, so how does BM manage to produce a camera that can do raw at a fraction of the cost of high end cameras? Which off the shelf chip have they chosen?

BM is physically fraction of other cameras and have only fraction of features. Hence the price.

Otherwise they most probably using custom FPGA or similar coupled with some embedded LSI.
    Plus they made very tigh restrictions of FPS available.

Bm is not example of future cameras, as it uses bare 2.5" SSDs that are unsuitable for wide spread cameras (due to connectors not made for insertion and removal and high probablity of electrical damage).

• @vitaliy

Interesting, so how does BM manage to produce a camera that can do raw at a fraction of the cost of high end cameras? Which off the shelf chip have they chosen? Is there only one such maker of chips capable of RAW?

• @kazuo

Problem with raw is not enginners or managers. It is simple lack of fast progress in chip industry. Most SD cards speeds are still low. Most of mobile memory is still not fast, supply is scarce, and it has limited width bus.

As for peaking, something tells me that engineers have nothing to do with it.

• @kazuo

it's not just a case of Panasonic being willing to 'release' it. The bus speed has to be capable of those data rates, and then your media has to be capable of those rates as well.

• Low compressed h.264 with 2 streams . . . . sort of like MXF that also carries 4:2:2 data?

Anyway, Panny will not release GH3 raw for simple reasons:

1. The GH series was never conceived as a professional suite.
    2. What on earth were the engineers thinking when they took out peaking? A faux paus on any pro tool. Sign of more silly things to come?
    3. Panasonic has a broadcast range to protect. GH3 RAW? Who's going to buy AF102?
  • You can have lossy compression on raw. One of the benefits of raw is it is 1/2th the amount of data to store than the same bit depth of 4:2:2. And demosaicing does work very well.

You don't need custom formats for 4:4:4 and hi bit depth, just the encoder to support it. 4:4:4/14-bit is part of the H.264 specification in Hi444PP, just rarely used, I don't think any of the GH encoders are that complete and would work with that (or 4:2:2) by simply specifying the profile to use. x264 can do up it to 10-bit in Hi444PP iirc, which also gives better compression in many cases as well.

1 to 1, a demosaiced image beats 4:2:2 sub-sampled image in chroma detail. In terms of data throughput, you can probably get 2.8K mosaiced or raw data in about the same space as 1080p 4:2:2 at the same compression quality at the same bit depth, if compression is used.

If a camera has that kind of processing power to crunch that (eg; the processor isn't the bottle neck) it'd be nice to have either or preferably both options though.

In the mean time if you guys want to squeeze more out of your video, look into (real) superresolution methods using multi-image sampling. That works for video too by multi-frame analysis. You upscale 2x then downscale back down again, that should improve chroma detail, (and also luma detail on dSLRs, and can also help get red of moire and aliasing too).

• I agree with you Vitaliy raw could easily become a pain in the "Arze", workflow is too heavy and times are just out of reality for day to day work.

So if GH3 is to be hacked [of course it will :-)] Then if its possible, I would be much more happy with having directly from the raw sensor source 4-2-2 10bit 75mbp/150mbp h264 intraframe compression. EVEN IF ITS only 10bit 4-2-2 HDMI OUT I would jump with joy all around the house.

And just maybe it would be possible to squeeze 1 or 2 stops of extra latitude of DR, by having more information on low and highlights.

And just dreaming maybe more user friendly codec like ProRes 422 , Avid DNxHD, :-)

That for me clean 10bit 4-2-2 in GH3 is wayyyy better than raw, if you want raw just go with BM 4K producction camera and get a free global shutter, even with less DR, you can restore that in post.

• Evenn better if 4:4:4 is managed

For 444 encoded picture you need some custom formats as I understand and also need high resolution raw source, as otherwise it is just time waste.

• Im with vitaliy here. Low compressed intraframe h264 would be grate. Evenn better if 4:4:4 is managed. then so no other frame of low contrast and light willbe required. but a compressed form is important since managing raw data at this poin in time its not that grate. it very time consuming, and for video is about $ per minute.

• Most people get things wrong.

You don't need raw, you need data that is lost during raw to 8bit image conversion and later compression.

If you can supply low compressed intraframe H264 in two spreams (or double framerate) one being normal 422 image and one that will preserve low contrast, dark and light areas all will be very good.

• SD cards will be capable. But the bus speed of the camera would have to be high enough to support it.. and of course a large enough buffer to cope with lag and fluctuations in writing.

I'd like to see in terms of raw is lossy-raw (or even 1.5-2:1 lossless-raw) 3:1 would work great. That'd be full bit-depth and no sub-sampling since it's raw/pre-demosaiced.

Getting the full IQ to HDMI out would suffice also.

Hacked GH2 will be my primary tool of choice till better is feasible, which looks like the Black Magic new cameras will be first.

• H265 52mbs with 422 ;-) Hopefully for GH5. And 2x2 crop binning mode.

• @aldolega That is what I understood as well. @eatstoomuchjam I've heard that as well and agree completely. I hope their SD cameras will be able to do better than what they are getting currently. That would make the 60D very appealing to me.

Correct me if I'm wrong (please do, I'm still learning):

I really think there is some confusion. Looking into this, I've seen people swear that the Extreme Pro cards write 90MB/s and read 95MB/s. But realistically, people say that they manage about 42MB/s for write speeds. Still pretty amazing. I've heard that the CF cards are all that are holding the 5D Mark III back. I'm just approaching this skeptically. If 90MB/s is a baseline for 1080p 24fps, all I was implying is that we might not get 1080p 24fps second RAW on a camera with limited media. We might have to settle for a lower resolution/burst mode if it is RAW. 90MB/s might need buffer time while it loads onto the card, therefore it would be more ideal for a burst mode like the Nikon V1.

I love my GH3 and it is already a beast. Release its shackles and watch it eat other cameras for breakfast. Panasonic still has 60fps 1080p for $1,300 US and some of the sharpest glass on the market.

You guys rock on this forum! I've learned so much.

• 95MB/s is the read speed on that SanDisk, not the write speed.

• @Kairutan The limiting factor on the SD card Canons is the controller in the camera. There doesn't seem to be much difference in the benchmarks between the Sandisk 45MB/s cards and the Sandisk 95MB/s cards on them.

• I would personally love to see raw on the GH3, does anyone know if this is even possible in theory? Is the censor capable?

Is raw video something that can be rolled out across most new mid-high end cameras?

• @kairutan Sandisk Extreme Pro cards are 95MB/s and getting faster all the time.

• Plus, RAW to SD cards... that sounds nice but... It might not be possible. Magic Lantern on the 5D pushes 90MB/s at 1080p 24fps. The 600D is reportedly getting RAW but it is getting it in way lower resolutions on SD cards before it maxes out.

• Guys really, I have no idea :-)

Making such thing requires bunch of time and bunch of people.

• Only Vitaliy and the other ptool devs knows if this is even remotely possible. Their silence is probably telling.

Of course I would love the ability to shoot Raw, it would be absolutely amazing - however don't bank on it.

• @Pind - that would make my year if he pulled it off.

• i still have high hopes in VK, he is Panasonic GH saver :D

This topic is closed.
← All Discussions