Personal View site logo
Raw video on Canon 5d Mark 3 and other cameras using liveview framebuffer
  • 547 Replies sorted by
  • The 4Gb recording barrier has been broken but we can't open anything bigger than 2Gb on a mac or 4Gb pc yet

Can you tell more details? As it requires different files system.

• http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=5419.0 the 5DM2 thread, sorry if this was posted already. if i get it going this weekend i'll post the steps, likewise if someone else does, please let us know! thanks!

• @Vitaliy I don't have the details, I don't speak bocce, but I know somebody recorded a 12Gb file. Someone just has to figure out how to transcode the bloody thing.

• One of the cleanest 5Dmrk II Raw footage I've seen so far, let me know what you guy's think.

• That being said, the GH2 is still the best buck for your money, but I feel have to remind you that this is not a contest (so there is no "winner"/ loser, we are not 5yr olds, hopefully) nor a "value bet" issue, you choose whatever works for you.

@jasonp I had to laugh when I read what directly followed your message :)

• All I can say is I have a GH3, a D5200, a 5D MK2, and a Nex-5n, and the only camera I'm interested in shooting with is my 5D MK3 RAW. That's not to say that you can't shoot nice footage with any of those cameras but given the choice... It's just a much less compromised image and closer to film.

Is the workflow a pain in the bum? Absolutely. Is it worth it? Dunno yet, I gotta run some tests against the FS100 next week. dustylens did a C100 MK3 RAW comparison- https://www.dropbox.com/s/zqrr7jty0p5yfcx/C100%20V%205D%20RAW.mov?m

• ahaha D5 MKii versus MKiii fanboy war I love it

• I can't tell what the MKII is getting as far as DR goes, but it surely looks like it is NOT optimized for the top end. If it's 12, seems like most of the DR's down bottom.

• Topic cleared slightly, want to talk - use PM.

• @jasonp

This has been one of my primary questions yet noone seems to have an answer yet: how do you expose with the camera?

I could easily go and test with a Lexar 1000X card, could have already, but the more I see the more it looks like it's not for me. But, I guess I should, anyway... that 5D and Blackmagic test from Cinema5D was so horribly flawed I almost want to do it just to correct that.

• @jasonp

So Canon's not shooting Linear? Because CinemaDNG from Blackmagic's Linear, not Log. ProRes is LOG.

Is that what you were referring to?

• @Kholi

You should definitely do a comparison between the two. Spend a little time with the 5D3 by itself to figure out where to expose it. Then do the comparison. I'd love to see what you come up with.

• @jasonp

As far as I've known this entire time the DNGs are 16 linear stored in a 12, unpacked back to 16 in ACR or Resolve. proRes is Log.

Your data is linear when you're in R9, ACR, LR4 (same as ACR). Both cameras should behave the same way in this case.

Edit: You're right the 16's stored inside of the 12-bit log, but you never actually deal with log data in Resolve.

As long as you have an exposure tool that feeds you information from the sensor, which I believe the MKiii has, you should be able to expose in a similar fashion. Has anyone tried using the camera's EV meter to judge exposure?

• for 5D2 people that haven't tried it yet, i used the May15 build: http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=5419.0 https://bitbucket.org/hudson/magic-lantern/downloads/Raw2dng.exe i replaced an earlier build ML folder on my card that has 5D2-212.FIR on it. press trash can to enter ML menu, enable raw rec module in the last tab, go to movie camera icon tab and enter raw rec sub menu to record. i read issues with newer builds and dng converter but May15 works for me! working with Lexar 600x. crazy times!

• Thanks @blackroom. I personally will have to wait a bit as none of my CF cards are up to it (I was getting by using 133x, lol). Ordered a 64gb Komputerbay 1000x, it should be here later this coming week.

• @Oedipax yeah i ordered Komputerbay 1000x 64 gig cards too. this old Lexar 600X gives me about 600 frames before it starts dropping.

• I did some timed post workflow tests on my 2.5Ghz quad core Macbook Pro 16Gb 480Gb SSD 1Gb Radeon 6770M. A 1Gb raw file (17seconds @ 1920x720) takes 10 sec to convert to DNG and 2:22 to transcode to ProRes 4444 in After Effects. A 17 sec H.264 file takes 30 sec to transcode to Prores 4444 in compressor. That's 5x longer for raw but I imagine it would be significantly faster with a CUDA GPU and slower with a spinning disk drive. Adding a film convert grade to the ProRes transcode took an extra 10 sec. Transcoding to ProRes proxy was 10 sec faster than 4444.

• This one looks good

• @PixCanFly

It is already present in topic.

• Cool example:

• Much as I like Macgregor's work, it doesn't look any different than your better examples of well-exposed, carefully graded, compressed DSLR footage. There's loads of hacked-GH2 footage that can compete with the look of Timple, which is pretty flat in that stream.

(ah, above beat me to it)

...as far as I'm concerned, that (Genesis) is the first 5D MkRAW example to actually make good on all the hubbub...even if the overly dramatic music is a bit annoying.

• I gave my GH2 to my wife to take pictures and video's of the kids. I moved on to better camera's.

• @Butt @Brian202020 Still loving my GH2 every time I shoot with it I get Wowed.. great advances with the 5D Mark II - III with Raw no doubt about it. I applaud Magic Lantern so many said it was impossible & now it is available free of charge great times. I also believe one day the GH2 will get Raw video enabled, can you imagine the images that would come out of that camera it would be out of this world.