Personal View site logo
EU: Good News, sales of heaters falled
  • PC shipments in Western Europe totaled 12.3 million units in the first quarter of 2013, a decline of 20.5% from the corresponding period of 2012, >according to Gartner.

"The first quarter of 2013 brought the worst quarterly decline in Western Europe since Gartner started tracking PC shipments in this region," said Meike Escherich, principal research analyst at Gartner. "Wide availability of Windows 8-based PCs could not boost consumer PC purchases during the quarter. Although the new Metro-style user interface suits new form factors, users wonder about its suitability for traditional PCs - non-touchscreen desktops and notebooks."

All PC segments in Western Europe exhibited on-year declines in the first quarter of 2013. Mobile and desktop shipments fell by 24.6% and 13.8%, respectively. Shipments to the professional PC market declined by 17.2%, while those to the consumer PC market decreased by 23.7%.

Hewlett-Packard (HP) and Acer both recorded declines of over 30%. However, despite seeing its consumer notebook volumes halve during the quarter, HP remained the market leader.

In the first quarter of 2013, the mobile PC market accounted for 62% of PC shipments in France as volumes decreased by 26%. "One reason for the decline was a drop in netbook shipments, which represented less than 1% of all notebook shipments in France during the quarter," said Durand. The decline in desktops, of 24%, was less steep than that of mobile PCs

Via: http://www.digitimes.com/news/a20130516PR204.html

• 10 Replies sorted by
  • Heaters. LOL.

• Heaters. LOL.

Computers are essentially heaters, as except tiny amounts going to HDD spin and head movements and fans all else end up into heat.

• Could also have been refrigerators...

• Could also have been refrigerators...

Hmm, why refrigerators?

• Who needs Intel Inside when you can run on Stella Artois?

http://www.geekologie.com/2010/11/beercooled-computing-the-keg-c.php

asd

• Perhaps we need a setup that uses the heat from a cpu to replace the small burner in an ammonia based refrigerator. Maybe your render farm could keep your beer cold.

• Could have been refrigerators because they produce more heat on the outside than they remove from the inside.

• In my cold house, my PC on the floor under my desk is the only thing that keeps my feet warm. If I need to get a bit more temperature, I run a bit of neat noise reduction or some AE rendering. That seems to work well and gets my toes feeling all cosy again.

• Hmm, why refrigerators?

@Vitaliy_Kiselev overall consumption of energy ends up in heat. You will heat up your room even if you open the doors of a fridge....

Basic ruels of thermodynamics - energy loss ends up in heat and/or chaos (enthalpy and/or entropy)

==> Thats why its so easy to create disorder instead of order :-)

Locally, the entropy can be lowered by external action. This applies to machines, such as a refrigerator, where the entropy in the cold chamber is being reduced, and to living organisms. This local decrease in entropy is, however, only possible at the expense of an entropy increase in the surroundings. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Entropy_(order_and_disorder)

Same as change of order in RAM/ROM of your computer....

• Heaters sales dropped further

Worldwide PC shipments dropped to 76 million units in the second quarter of 2013, a 10.9% decrease from the same period in 2012, according to preliminary results from Gartner. This marks the fifth consecutive quarter of declining shipments, which is the longest duration of decline in the PC market's history.

All regions showed a decline compared to a year ago. The fall in the Asia Pacific PC market continued, showing five consecutive quarters of shipment decline, while the EMEA PC market registered two consecutive quarters of double-digit decline.

Fun.

"We are seeing the PC market reduction directly tied to the shrinking installed base of PCs, as inexpensive tablets displace the low-end machines used primarily for consumption in mature and developed markets," said Mikako Kitagawa, principal analyst at Gartner.

How many stupid guys exist. It is not that installed base is shrinking, quite reverse. It is growing, but as progress slowed down considerable many people just do not buy replacement for existing computer.