Personal View site logo
12-35mm F2.8 Panasonic lens topic
  • 492 Replies sorted by
  • Well happy sunny Monday! Kismet - aye but 340 degrees is enough for most wandering subjects :) They're v easy to fit and keep the clutter down to a minimum.

• I have tested a bit my new 12-35 and have to say it is amazing all round lens. I just don't like extending while zooming, i wish Panasonic did with this lens as they did with 35-100!

Why Panasonic, why :-(

• I want to like this lens, honestly I do. Spec wise it's perfect for the BM pocket cam. But all I see in the way of footage looks very video like. What am I missi g cause everyone who uses it loves it. help me like this lens. I want a run and gun fast with character. So far, call me crazy but the best looking footage I've seen online to fit my needs is the 14-45mm first kit lens. Like I said I want to like the 12-35mm please don't argue against me, I just need to know if anyone feels the same and whether I'm missing something?

• Firmware updated to v1.2

Improved the stability of O.I.S.(Optical Image Stabilizer) in Motion Picture recording.

• @larsarus , thank you. My 12-35 has now 1.2 FW :-)

• I remember seeing this lens compared to some other lenses. Was it the Zeiss or Samyang primes? The exposure was a tad darker and maybe more contrasty. Love the idea for photos, but for video it's not a lens I'm rushing out to get.

• I hear the new firmware fixes the jittery autofocus problem.

• @Cde thats excellent news if true , i have mine and gh3 arriving tommorow hopefully :)

• I have done a test with FW 1.2 on E-M5. test as usual: OIS and IBIS Off, @35mm. The jitter issue is solved on my lens! BUT something is still moving very slowly, let me explain: in a 5 minute of video filming a target I can see it moving from the beginning to the end. Not much, just a few pixels in 5 minutes, It could be the 5 axis stabilization of the E-M5 and not the lens.. I have to test this with a lens without OIS.

This is not a problem for video, the movement of few pixels (in a 1080p frame) in 5 minutes is impossible to notice, But could still be visible in a long exposure picture.

• @larsarus ,thanks bro Update to 1.2 FW done ! @jpz glad to hear that , even if my copy was without jitter issue

• I have a request - could someone with the 12-35mm do a test. Set the lens to 12mm, turn on the stabilizer and simply walk down the street while recording video. I want to see how well the stabilizer performs as a Steadicam.

Thanks!

• @Ralph_B Stabilizer on 12-35 cannot performing as steadicam , especially while you walking , OIS work well for correct low frequency hand shake vibration , and for smooth panning .

• I would still like to see some footage, especially with the new firmware.

• After installing the new firmware I have performed the test and compared with my previous tests with old firmware. With the old firmware I had the problem on my 12-35 lens. Now with firmware 1.2 it has disappeared.

• I could not reproduce the jitter problem after upgrading either, doing a couple of simple attempts.

• Can anyone confirm that QIS is working as good as before after 1.2 update? I'm a bit afraid that QIS is working different now and adds stutterings in a pan.

@Tomaso

With the old firmware I had the problem on my 12-35 lens.

Was it just the jitter problem you had before, or any other?

• @Ralph_B Here you go. Did it at 12mm and 35mm. I think it OIS is worth keeping on while shooting handheld or shoulder rigged and moving around. If locked off, I'd probably turn it off (if I remembered to do it.)

• Thanks 5thwall. That was helpful. Was that with firmware 1.2?

• A bit late since as everyone knows now Panasonic released FW 1.2 fixing the jitter issue, anyway a few weeks ago Panasonic from New Jersey contacted me after seeing my problem posted on line and thanks to them I got a new copy of the lens without the jitter issue from Panasonic Japan, since I live here. Good thing is that this has now been fixed by FW so hopefully it's gone, I don't have any issue with the lens now and I am very happy with it. I am also happy to see that Panasonic gave assistance to the people who had a "bad" copy of the lens before releasing the new FW. Thank you and thank you to Personal View forum!

• Regarding the OIS problem that people were having - is it a lens issue? I know the firmware update resolved it, but if it were to be used on another camera would the problem exist?

• @theconformist it was a lens firmware issue. The problem was in the OIS mechanism which is purely in the lens, once you update it to 1.2 the problem is gone and you can use your lens on any camera without issues

• I've found a couple of nice samples of 12-35 usage, "even" with the GH3.

• @flaaandeeers Good lord that second video looks amazing!