Personal View site logo
Anyone interested in a group buy on Luminiere Tripods?
  • I've been looking for a decent tripod that can handle the weight of my rig. Came across this one on ebay:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/110403093403?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

Can't find any info on it, but it does look good. Very heavy duty. Anyone interested? At a quantity of 20, they'll go for $500+shipping.
  • 22 Replies sorted by
  • This is Weifeng stuff :-)

Are you sure you want this? I am even to talking about group buy.
    This thing uses not so perfect head, fixed drag, fixed tilt, counterbalance tuned for 12Kg.
    If you need something for really big rig (like 10kg and more) get good carbon legs and find very separate good fluid head.
  • Thanks for the info! Seemed like the least expensive option for a heavy duty head. But if it doesn't work smoothly then its no good. Can you suggest another tripod/fluid head that handles around 12kg that doesn't break the bank?
  • Head is not for support only.
    You need true fluid head, with adjustable tilt and drag, and widely adjustable counterbalance.
    Cheap options do not exist.

Can you show your 12kg rig?
  • I really don't have a 12kg rig. More like 5-6kg. I generally don't like to go past 50% of the rating of the tripod that's why I'm looking at the 12kg range. Basically a dslr, lens, mattebox, rig, and battery pack. Around 5-6kg.
  • Legs and head you provided have - 20Kg max rating. :-)
    If you want something cheap and relatively sturdy try FC-470, even it has 5-6kg as low end of counterbalance :-)
  • Exactly. And why order from Brooklyn? It's all on their web-site in China. Unfortunately they only accept wire transfers, but I did exactly what Vitaly is talking about - order a carbon legs and a Manfrotto fluid head. If everything goes well, I can share my contacts in China. The company is following Vitaly's web site and is interested in finding new customers.
  • >Manfrotto fluid head

What one?
    519?

>The company is following Vitaly's web site and is interested in finding new customers.

Yep. We are in good contact.
    Same as with many other sellers.
    But without any money influence :-)
  • Thanks guys. I'm definitely interested in a tripod, maybe two, if we can get some sort of group buy.
  • Oh so you don't need their info? The sales lady asked me yesterday if she can approach you. Yes, surely no money influence. Though my purchase isn't yet complete
  • actually it's 504hd+75mm bowl carbon legs
  • Yes, info is good :)
  • @jaecjaec

I suggest you, if possible to rent good tripods, compare them and decide.
  • >actually it's 504hd

Not the best solution, especially considering counterbalance :-)
    Their legs are good, how is the price?

http://www.dvuser.co.uk/content.php?CID=262

I believe other even worse review exist from other pro, I do not remember.
  • hm. what's bad about it? $700 for the head is a little bit over my ceiling
    I'm getting the carbon legs for 250. plus they promised a free bag which looks exactly like my $130 Kata
  • >I'm getting the carbon legs for 250. plus they promised a free bag which looks exactly like my $130 Kata

Sounds like good candidate for our special deals section :-)

>what's bad about it?

Nothing very bad.
    Generally I am also pretty ok with FC-04H, despite it is not O'Connor, and even cheaper than Manfrotto :-)
  • I know. I was just trying to avoid any risks with the head. Already spent 190 on an Indian cage which turned out to be a crap. This review spoils my day:( I was hoping it's going to be my gem. The customers' comments on bnh web site looked so positive.

btw. could you check this. another trailer for my upcoming doc
    (greenfire)

i know it's another theme, but anyway
  • >Already spent 190 on an Indian cage which turned out to be a crap.

Any chance on review? :-)
    I always tell people that it si no good, but many do not believe.
    Btw, recommend to get cage (assembled from parts) from Weifeng.
    I got bunch of their stuff today (not so cheap).
    And half-C clamps and rods are good.

>This review spoils my day:( I was hoping it's going to be my gem.

I learned that for fluid head reviews you need to look on pros only.
    Most people just do not use their heads actually. Something like wide slow pan, and this is all.

About film trailer.
    Very interesting. I like your approach.
    On your place I'll make titles from the hair, will be better styled.
    Next one will be about kindey trade :-) ?
  • I would take the DVUser review with a grain of salt. As Vitaliy says, I'd look at the positives, because some of the negatives (e.g. the knob blocking the camera) were due to operator error (the knob orientation is repositionable).

As for Weifeng/E-Image, I'm fairly wary after both the 717 head and the newer FC-02H head both developed dead spots in the pan and tilt within 30 minutes of use.

Vitaliy is right that most people use a tripod for simple pans/tilts, but if it has a dead spot at the beginning of every movement, then it's basically useless.

Is the FC-04H a true fluid head? Is the drag friction drag (like most Manfrottos) or true fluid drag?

My current opinion is that these Chinese brands are good at making their products look good and resemble their high quality counterparts quite well, but they'll need several more iterations before their products are up to snuff though.
  • @Jive

I'll try other review with similar conclusion.
    generally all guys who work with true fluid head made negative reviews.

>Is the FC-04H a true fluid head? Is the drag friction drag (like most Manfrottos) or true fluid drag?

It is very hard to tell. Despite that I saw this head assembly.
    As some parts are preassembled.
    My opinion is that it is friction with about 80% probability.
    But internally this things are complicated.

>like most Manfrottos

As I understand Manfrotto 519 could be fluid.
    But all this is complicated as I understand that they are using preassembled cartridges.
  • @ Vitaliy_Kiselev You mean build my own font in Photoshop or AE (for the title)? I'm not so proficient with these software.
    The Indian cage - maybe. But it was just a piece of junk. I don't even know what was good about it except the carbon rods. Overwhelmed with work now, but I'll try. Liked you interview btw. I wish I could use the hacked GH2 2 months earlier. Nevertheless — expect an email from the Chinese girl.
  • >I don't even know what was good about it except the carbon rods.

Btw, get Weifeng carbon rods. They are way stiffer than all carbon rods I had to this time.

>You mean build my own font in Photoshop or AE (for the title)?

Nope, I mean use actual hair to compose titles. By hand. On black paper.
  • >get Weifeng carbon rods

Do you have a good source for these?