Personal View site logo
Time for GH3 to have raw video!
  • 62 Replies sorted by
  • The ability to record RAW definately has advantages to a select market.

But that is exactly what it is, a select market which does not represent the majority of the market. Therefore I do not believe Panasonic would be worried about losing sales to BM because of RAW functionality. Just my opinion.

• Uncompressed HDMI would be enough for me but RAW would take the cake. A few years ago it was okay to cripple stuff but not now. Price of entry is low, low, low now. Happened to Pro Audio gear, happened to computers and happening in Video now. I always felt that if they had an unfettered HDMI port on their GH series from the start they would have sold so many more. What were they protecting? The AF100? Pfffff. Forgive me but when I saw the first footage after the fanfare of all the guys going to Japan for the launch I was slightly underwhelmed. I know a lot of pros use em but I just never liked it - I am no pro but think I can appreciate a nice pic. But the GH2 has always wowed me. Cheap, small, light, articulating screen, almost any lens etc - has so much going for it. If I were them I would start with the GH3 form factor and allow a module to be added, perhaps underneath in a grip with a RAW port on it and be done with it. Record onto that grip or one of their own recorders or Convergent Design, Sony etc. Or even better - record in camera - but RED may not be best pleased. Better still, allow a little room for it to be hacked into. Watch the money roll in........not sure that everyone sees the potential though and corporates see things a little differently to us guys on a camera hacking forum

• The biggest splash will be amongst lo-lo budget indies and enthusiasts. Producers paying the day rates will not risk anything important with a hacked camera

• well if this gets ported to the cheaper canon DSLRs, you have your GH3/2 killer right there. :)

• It really depends on how big this Magic Lantern thing gets. Panasonic have pushed the GH series to filmmakers from the very start, but they could see that niche disappear very quickly. If they want to compete seriously in the future they need to look at what people are demanding, and what they can get out of the competition. They also have a bit of a responsibility to compete with the Pocket Cinema Camera and foster an environment of competition in the M43 scene. Blackmagic price their camera similarly and could easily walk away with their niche. They're just about being forced to respond. The problem is that Panasonic is a big, conservative company. Slow to react, and all to eager to protect a struggling high-margin pro division. They don't realize that officially supporting raw video in a DSLR is a potential goldmine that would bring a lot of people over to the M43 system, and the benefits of this would more than make up for any losses in the pro market, where people don't want to screw around with a DSLR anyway.

I'm not expecting raw, but I wouldn't rule it out. GH5 is probably 18 months away, and a lot can change in that time. Pana need to stay on their toes.

• I reckon it is very unlikely Panasonic will be providing raw video in their GH/G series of cameras in the near future. The best we can hope for (still unlikely though.... just much more likely than an "official feature") is if they could very soon open up the doors wide to allow/assist VK to provide raw video for their cameras "unofficially".

• I wouldn't hold my breath for RAW, I just hope for the all I codec to have a higher bit rate.

• They're more likely to add raw to the GH5 if Blackmagic and the Magic Lantern hack prove to be a threat.

Even if they don't blow up out of the gate, they'd be foolish not to include it now that it's clear that the demand is there and the cards are fast enough. I'm not too sure it'll happen though...

• If Panasonic is paying attention, then they better help out with everything they can at this point. They have just had two major shots fired across the bow with the Black Magic pocket cam and now the Magic Lantern hack for the 5D. If you are listening Panasonic, you should start giving Vitally whatever he needs to turn the GH3 into a beast.

• i would prefer peaking and 720 120fps =)

• Raw would be good.. Peaking, now available on a camera half the price of the GH3 could be a way to show that Panasonic isn't dismissive of those who support their top of the range equipment!

• Well that would, of course, be nice but we all know they won’t do it :D

This topic is closed.
← All Discussions