Personal View site logo
Monitor or EVF?
  • I'm new to HDSLR video, but not video production nor shooting. I've got a GH2 and am purchasing a Lanparte shoulder rig soon. Trying to decide if I should go with an EVF (DP4) or monitor (AC7) for focus/framing. The advantages of the EVF seem to be extra point of contact for stability and better viewing outside. For the monitor, I like the idea of seeing where I am going when handheld, run & gun on my own. Also Like the idea of using it when the camera s mounted to a slider or small jib.

Can't afford to do both.

Anyone willing to offer advice or their experiences?

• 9 Replies sorted by
  • Well, the DP4 does both, so I would go for that personally.

• @Pino

4" is really too small for normal framing. Useful as EVF only.

I suggest to ask yourself that you need more.

• you could go for a EVF like DP4 and a cheep 7" monitor (see special deals) for framing only. It's also a matter of personal taste. Personally I dont like the DP4 too much, the display is too small as a monitor and too big as EVF, it's diffucult to keep the whole frame in sight

• EVF + very good 7" monitor is less than $600 actually.

• Vitaliy, any recommendations? Good focus assist is vital to me, as my eyesight is less than stellar as I age.

By the way, thank you for this forum. I've been a lurker for the past 6 months and the insights and opinions shared here have helped me as I transition back into the video world. I hope to be able to contribute overtime.

• I've been deciding on an evf and monitor recently as well, and I'd like to chime in with one of the benefits of using an evf that I don't think I've ever seen mentioned. For run and gun especially...the third point of contact adds additional stability in the shot. Just an observation.

• @Pino

Check Neway monitors, we have on deals new more affordable (but same panel and features) 7" monitor.

http://www.personal-view.com/talks/discussion/6767/neway-ct700ho-1280x800-ips-compact-monitor-with-same-features#Item_3

• What about the new Carryspeed LCD viewfinder v4 ? ITs less than U$ 199...

• I've been extremely happy with my Marshall v-lcd56md. Wouldn't trade it for anything in the world :)