Personal View site logo
AVCHD maximum image quality settings and testing
  • 1002 Replies sorted by
  • @cbrandin

"It seems to me that if the image looks the same even when the bitrate drops in some frames, then the bitrates while they are high aren't contributing to image quality. Why not just drop the overall bitrate so they are all as low as the bitrate during those frames when it is lower?"
    not necessarily. In my case the uneven cadence goes hand in hand with larger I-Frames, see here:
    http://www.personal-view.com/talks/uploads/FileUpload/ec/adfb424748f2cdcffbf5611780d098.jpg
    So the actual bitrate does not seem to go down.. just the distribution of I-, P- and B-frames is chaning.
    So maybe somehow things get leveld out ...
  • Hmmmm... curiouser and curiouser... It sort of makes sense that when the I frame size is smaller, so are the following P and B frames - there is less detail to preserve. Does it just change cadence by itself, or did something in the shot change at that time?

Chris
  • @cbrandin
    "Does it just change cadence by itself, or did something in the shot change at that time?"
    Exactly my thoughts when I saw the stream.
    I've looked at the footage and at the timcode in question absolutley nothing happens. It's more or less a still scene (also still a few seconds before and after the cadence change). I've just filmed passing traffic and at the time of the cadence change no car or pedestrian is passing. It's actually only an architectur-still :-)

• It's acting like a buffer fragmentation issue. AVC codecs have a simplistic dynamic buffering scheme in order to avoid having to do much buffer management. Frames stay in buffers until they are no longer needed as references. Maybe, after a while, the buffer gets a little fragmented and sometimes doesn't have a contiguous space big enough for a particular frame at the exact time it is needed. That, or there is a ghost in the GH2 machine;)

Chris
  • @cbrandin
    Would you mind looking at these settings. I posted the patch on Stable settings but read that high bitrates will not span but to my eye looks just as good as the 88mbit setting and more stable. I can send frame grabs. Sent frame grabs. I don't have StreamParser.
    24H-66 24L-44
    http://www.personal-view.com/talks/discussion/482/avchd-stable-settings#Item_219

Luke
  • @LukeV ... or anyone

Video Bitrate 24H ADD=66000000
    Video buffer=0x3000000
    Video buffer 24p=0x3600000

what do these setting do?
  • @LukeV

I can't figure out which settings you mean - the link just goes to the top of the topic.

Chris
  • Thanks towi and yes anyone
  • @LukeV

Why are you setting these?

Video Bitrate 24H ADD=66000000
    Video buffer=0x3000000
    Video buffer 24p=0x3600000
    1080p24 High Top Setting=42418
    1080p24 High Bottom Setting=29692
    1080p24 Low Top Setting=31178
    1080p24 Low Bottom Setting=21824
    Other Modes Top Setting=31878
    Other Modes Bottom Setting=22304

These are automatically set when you set bitrate. Have you found any particular advantage in setting those parameters?

Chris
  • @cbrandin
    as to the Top/Bottom BR settings IMHO raising the values enables I-Frames larger than 8Mb...
    as to VBR 24 ADD I am curious, too.
  • Hmmm. Raising FB1 and FB2 and Frame limit also raise maximum I frame size (you have to set all three) - how about adding those? Maybe the I frame size will get even bigger - which would be good.

Chris
  • The camera crashes if you haven't set all three in the same proportion - frame limit maybe very slightly less. Given that, I haven't had problems with it.

Chris
  • @cbrandin
    I first tested 66 at 4x buffer and 4x frame limit the settings above were not checked the footage looked great but wasn't stable. Then I went up 88 looked great but not stable. Then I back peddled to 3x to2x buffer & FL and a combo of 4xbuffer for 1080 & 3x for the rest. Got great looking footage but it did not hold up to the rosemary.
    After more tinkering. I went back to some old settings I had with Low GOP 6 at 60 with the settings above.
    So long story short. I tried with on and off. On just worked. except spanning. My rosemary tests were good.

@towi
    I think you're right but I don't have chis's app to check. I've been blowing images up to 800% in FCP and PS for any blocks I saw none only on edges at400% & 800%.
  • @cbrandin
    I've set them to the same proportions.
    With your settings I always get an uneven stream cadence. Only with really high values the cadence gets even (88mbps, FBS + EFL x4). But then the values are so high that the price to pay is a possible codec crash, playback and transcoding issues.
    My latest high settings (based on raised top/bottom BR settings) record and playback fine on both class 6 and class 10 cards. I Frames are not quite as large, but IQ looks really good so far.
  • @towi - Might make sense to post your latest set-e settings again for those wanting to share the joy. They make for a great looking 88mbps.

(also, just fyi, what is your MJPEG setting? Looked like lpowell's stable, but I wasn't sure)
  • okay :-)
    http://www.personal-view.com/talks/uploads/FileUpload/b9/e5fc5d240ef05cdc03d037da270a6e.zip
    24H x4 = 88Mbits ... Top/Bottom Bitrate settings mutliplied by 4.
    24L x3 = 48Mbits ... Top/Bottom Bitrate settings mutliplied by 3.
    FSH x2 = 32Mbits ... Top/Bottom Bitrate settings mutliplied by 2.
    GOP12. AQ 4.

Yes, the MJPEG is from lpowell
  • Question:
    Has it been determined if there is a 24H setting using AQ=4 that does not cause any issues and spans and maintains excellent picture quaility? Is there a 66mbps setting with AQ=4 that is stable and spans?

I find that AQ set to 4 really raises the bar for the GH2. Excellent work!
  • @cbrandin Just to confirm what @towi said as I'm seeing the same things, the uneven cadence does occur on just end user patches too. Also yep, it occurs even if nothing changes in the shot, most of my later tests when I was tweaking to try and remove it were completely static shots indoors. I have not seen the cadence problem with AQ1 yet, I did see it briefly at AQ2 during a shot with a lot of motion, however the stream did go back to normal cadence. In all the tests I've done I've had frame buffers doubled. Except when using settings from @towi (which I just lowered the 24H to 66Mb on) where I also had the top/bottoms multiplied (as per bitrate mulitiple) but as per Vitaliys advice I have stopped doing that and went back to FB x2.

"Apparently the uneven cadences do not destroy IQ. On the other hand it's certainly not what the stream should look like … so in fact it makes me a bit nervous."

Ha, exactly it makes me nervous too, as does the effect of it dropping to a lower but even cadence instead if you replace T4 with T1 after about 20 seconds. I get what you're saying that it may be a buffer fragmentation issue @cbrandin, especially as it only seems to happen during longer shots. Are you saying that at a higher bitrate (such as 88MB) the buffer is having to flush more regularly as it doesn't have the space to store references for as long ? If thats the case, would changing QP also force this flushing at lower bitrates ? Probably not I'm guessing. The buffer fragmentation makes sense to me in that it also sort of explains the drop off after 20 seconds if you change T4 to T1, as it seems to be basically starting over somehow (my tests there were all static shots in regard the T4 changes, @kron IIRC found the same behaviour too).

Edit : Alternatively, is it worth testing with a smaller video buffer, but leaving frame buffer x 2 ? Weather is crappy here, so I will probably have some testing time today.

• The best setting stable for me is:

@Larsolite
    42Mbps (Very very Good) Firmware 3.62d

@Kae
    65 Mbps (for movie action, very good) / firmware 3.61

@LPowell:
    100Mbps GH2 MJPEG Low-Light Anamorphic (Amazing settig with class10 Card) Firmware 3.62d

Thanks Guys for you're setting

• I wanted to ask if the low GOP assertion that it was the cause of cadence problem still standing. Because what we are seeing now is that the uneven cadence problem affect all GOP. Am I asking because this belief has ended the short GOP testing because it was said that we had to wait for a bug fix in the next ptool version.
  • The cadence problem definitely happens with a GOP of 12, I've not tested at a GOP of 24. It seems its related to high AQ settings, as I've not seen it at AQ1. I havent tested AQ1 with a GOP shorter than 12, so can't say if it is the only cause, maybe a low GOP in itself also manifests it.
  • The cadence problem _may_ happen with GOP12 occasionally under certain (unpredictable) circumstances.
    But it seems to happen all the time with lower GOP (6 or 3).
This topic is closed.
← All Discussions