Personal View site logo
GH1: setting "Varigop" - superb IQ - integrated timelapse in MJPEG
  • 56 Replies sorted by
  • I've worked on the "Varigop" setting during last two weeks, searching how to improve its stability by keeping its high bitrates. Except some minor improvements I still didn't find the way to keep the stability absolutely under control.

BTW: I must unfortunatelly also report here that in the test shootings where "Varigop" tends to freeze, also @LPowell's settings "Max Latitude" and "Blackout" which I considered so far to be rock-stable (and recommended to use instead in the GH1 instead of "Varigop") both have collapsed regularly and didn't make it to record even one minute without camera freeze (card speed error).

Especially my shooting footage of lavender in the sunshine, tack sharp in focus, just slightly moving in the wind was simply impossible task for all those three high bitrate GH1 settings under 24p1080 AVCHD (FHD). Saying that, the lens I've used wasn't even the sharpest one can get (Minolta Rokkor 28mm f/2.8 at 5.6) but none of the settings made it to one minute mark without freezing. I've used the fastest SD card I have, several different units. (photo of the lavender is attached on the bottom).

My dream is to find some rock-stable high bitrate setting for the GH1. I still use a lot my GH1s (I own four bodies) and really like them, especially in the low ISO situations it is still my favourite camera body. "Varigop" beta version is so far the closest to it.

I will keep testings through longer time, meanwhile I tend to leave the "Varigop" just the way as it is, as in the most of shooting situations it doesn't cause any problems. I assume to possibly have faced the limits of the GH1 hardware which seems to have very tight data transfer bottleneck, which is either in GH1's buffer part- or in GH1's writing speed ability (the SD card slot).

• "GH1 Survival Check List" :-) I share my impressions with all there who use high bitrate settings on their GH1 no matter if "Varigop" or "Max Latitude" or "Blackout" is flashed, mind following behaviour of the GH1 which I could observe and during my own tests:
      • GH1's card speed error happens preferably by shooting highly resoluted, well-lit green scenery (like leaves, grass etc) the more of the frame is in-focus, the bigger is the chance of camera freeze, it seems to me that the green scenery is especially difficult task for the stability of the GH1
      • the sharper the used lens is, the bigger is the chance of camera freeze
      • the wider angle of the used lens is, the bigger probability of camera freeze (I had no errors at all so far by using tele lenses) due to higher amount of details
      • smoother film modes are improving the stability of the GH1 (use preferably modes standard, smooth or nostalgic instead of vibrant, nature or vibrant)
      • smoother settings are improving the stability of the GH1 (saturation, sharpness, contrast and NR: rather all to -1 than 0, if the objects are contrasty, set all to -2 rather than -1. My personal advice: set the sharpness just always to -2)
      • slight underexposing improves stability, while slight overexposing tends towards card speed error
      • GH1 freezes easier if Panasonic lenses are mounted, as they challenge the small GH1's CPU to its utterly limits with in-camera sharpening and with correcting the optical distortion of the Panasonic lenses (both automatical, not switchable)
      • check whenever possible before an important shot if your GH1 is behaving stable in that scene and rather shoot few shorter takes than one long one, as if the camera freezes the data is lost.

Any additional information by Varigop users, or GH1 experts who could help me to improve this setting are most appreciated!

Here is the photo of the critical test shooting, how the lavender I've mentioned looked like. My GH1s weren't able to reach even one minute of footage before freezing, neither with Varigop, nor with Blackout, nor with Max Latitude (the lavender was moving in the wind):

P1050300.JPG
    2048 x 1536 - 749K
  • Dear "Varigop" users, I will soon have time to work on the bug. I hope it will be possible to fix the bug without considerable reducing of its high bitrates (freezing occurs as much I could test so far only if the grass or trees are shooting objects and tack sharp)

Meanwhile, I am still using this setting for numerous concert events (simultanousely in 3-4 GH1's) and it just never freezed there, not once....

• @yyeah, @tinbeo, @kolargol guys, thank you very much for keeping me informed about the bugs. I confirm that the Varigop freezes very easily by recording grass or trees after some 15 seconds. The "card speed error" occurs no matter if Panasonic or vintage glass is used. I will try to improve the "Varigop" further and your feedbacks help me a lot for the development of this setting. I couldn't force freezing by shooting another highly detailed objects (also if green ones), but the reaction on grass and trees is unfortunatelly nearly allergic. I will report this bug in the first post.

Last week I had very successful production with four GH1 cameras simultanousely running using "Varigop". It was a classical concert recording in excellent tungsten lighting. All four cameras ran for bit longer than 2 hours perfectly well, spanning worked in all four cameras perfectly fine. The sizes of the produced AVCHD files (24p, FHD) in little longer than 2h were between 18GB (tele lens) and 32GB (Panasonic 14mm f/2.5)

EDIT 2013-08-02 unfortunatelly no more recommendation to use LPowell's high bitrate settings instead of "Varigop": both "Max Latitude" and "Blackout" are also freezing in the GH1

• Thanks for your feedbacks, guys. I will try with some advices, hope some might help:

@yyeah my question was: did you use 24p (FHD) mode for the grass shots when your camera freezed? 24p mode is usually rock stable, please try the same kind of shot with some vintage lens and set NR not higher than -1 and let me know if the error happened again. The problem might have been caused by the Panasonic 14-140 lens. I like that lens, but it is not fast, it has strong optical distortion which gets corrected by the camera in real time frame by frame and camera also boosts the sharpening with that lens. Distortion correction and sharpening challenge camera's processing power near to its limits and it might cause problems in combination with the "Varigop" which needs nearly all of what GH1's CPU can do. Read about the distortion of that lens here:
    http://www.photozone.de/olympus--four-thirds-lens-tests/682-pana14140?start=1
    However, I had no problems at all with the Pancake 20mm f/1.7

@kolargol Sandisk 45MB/s doesn't belong to the recommended cards for hacked GH1 and GH2 cameras. Its speed should theoretically be high, but practically it seems to be lower than by Sandisk's 30MB/s. There is lot to read about that in the threads, also in Faqs
    http://www.personal-view.com/faqs/gh2-hack/gh2-hack-faq
    I would sell that card on eBay and go for Sandisk SDHC Extreme Pro 95MB/s

Guys, just one important information here: be aware that there are many fake Sandisk cards around us: higher prices of the Sandisk cards makes them interesting for the cheaters. Fake cards are often considerably slower than the originals, so rather pay few $ more by some trusted dealer and be sure you get original Sandisk memory card. Optically, the faked ones often look just the same....

• I use SanDisk Extreme Pro 45MB / s. Camera freezes after 15 seconds with card error.

• @tinbeo SDXC cards can be used in the GH2 but not in the GH1

• Dunno if any one using 95MB/s 64gb Sandisk Extreme Pro had memory card reader error in GH1. I had no problems at all in GH2 with same card. GH1 with 45MB/s patched with this setting Varigop showed errors after 15seconds or so.

I wondered if GH1 can't read 64gb_95MB/s card? or just mine ?

• @tetakpatak Oh thank you for quick reply sir. I used creative movie mode and for film mode, I used both smooth and nostalgic. Smooth was set -2 -2 0 0. Nostalgic was set -2 -1 0 -1. By the way, I used the quick format on pc before on camera format. Do you think that might have caused the problem?

• @yyeah which recording mode did you use and on which value did you set in-camera sharpening?

• Hi. It must be great patch for all gh1 user! However I couldn't get my camera running with this patch properly. can anyone help? On my old gh1 body, it freezes while shooting grass or trees with card speed error message. I bought a recommended sd card, sandisk 95mbps and formatted on pc and after on the camera but It still freezes. Did I miss something? Or is it meant to avoid such subjects with gh1? Camera serial starts with FS9. I shot with 14-140mm. Thank you in advance!

• I love this patch It's given me only 1 heart attack and that is because I didn't format the card in the camera before shooting photos, I just used a card that had been in my GoPro and I recorded video but erased my photos. User Error in my book. I Love This Patch!!!

• @angelocerisara your card is also very fast, though a bit slower than the recommended one. It is for sure not "dangerous": maybe only spanning won't work just always and the very worst thing could happen is that the camera freezes during the recording. In that case just remove the battery and insert it again. Only the last video file (the interrupted one) will be lost in that case. Please post your experience how the patch works with your card.

• First of all well done! But I have a question.. I have a 45mb/s SD Card (Sandisk Class 10, 16GB), do you think i can use the hack or it might be dangerous?

• @K01 This is the only version of the "Varigop" in the final stage of development. I don't attend to develop another version, as the testing costs more hours of my free time than I have right now.

To be honest, I don't know how high are the peak bitrates- and the bitrates of "Varigop" are variable, so it will depend strongly on the recording circumstances, I've described it earlier in this topic.

• @tetakpatak Is there a 40-50mbps version of your patch?

• Long life to good old GH1

• @rigs
    mate, I am very honoured to get your response, as you with your 3GOP patch was my biggest inspiration to develop this patch.

I am also happy to see day after day how stable it seems to work, sofar without any crashes. The bitrates are higher than we dared to expect from the GH1 and so far without stability problems.

I think both the latest Ptool version with its new options in "patch for testers" as well as the rapidly fast 95MB/s Sandisk card were very important factors to provide "Varigop" the reliability, so not only the settings were the key for success here.

Well, who cares now anymore, important is that old good GH1 rocks again ;-)

• @ tetakpatak Congratulations on this very successful 24p patch. It works perfectly stable with a Sandisk 95mbps card and with any combo of m43 and FD lenses I have. My original 24p 3GOP patch did have the odd lock up issues and this one seems to be rock steady so far. I don't use my GH1 as much as my other cams. I think you have breathed new life it the old girl. Thanks for all your hard efforts.

• @mmband
    The setting you've uploaded in your post is my file with saved 3GOP settings by our mate @rigs, I uploaded this file with his settings on his topic in December 2012 for the reason he never did it himself (old Ptool couldn't extract and save settings.... :-)
    http://www.personal-view.com/talks/discussion/comment/100765#Comment_100765

Besides, you are spreading wrong information here:
    * rigs 3GOP has slightly lower bitrates in 24p mode, definitely not higher than "Varigop"
    * it does not work better, as his "S" mode (shutter priority) is broken
    * rigs' patch is not fully stable, it freezes on the dead charts with extremely high details (all in focus / well lit / sharp lens) sometimes it freezes even with fastest cards and after only several seconds, what "Varigop" doesn't. That was the reason why I added 95MB/s card as recommendation, I think these cards didn't even exist yet when rigs released the setting.

Rigs' 3GOP was my big inspiration for developing "Varigop", I desired to unify its high bitrates in 24p with the reliability of @LPowell's fast action 3GOP patch. So speaking about 24p mode only: "Varigop" is the most improved low GOP patch for the GH1 I was able to achieve.

And please read carefully my first posts: 25p was not target of this patch, there are better patches for that mode. The "Varigop" only accomplishes already developed well-working GH1 patches done earlier by our other p-v mates and improves its AVCHD 1920x1080 24p mode.

So, after all I really don't understand your motivation to upload someone else's settings here without mentioning the source (maybe you would notice it was uploaded by me) and why do you post simply wrong information without testing both patches very carefully as first?

• I'm not going to assign your file. I shoot 25P and 24P and making test VariGop. I think that the previous patch works more efficiently. I do not set goals to improve and assign your design, you simply have not understood correctly. Excuse me, I did not mean to hurt you. If you are interested I'll try again to shoot with VariGop and tell you the results of the test.

seta.ini
    641B
  • @Aria The reliability+spanning+quality in 1920x1080 24p was my motivation for developing this patch. There are indeed great patches for the GH1 existing, but out of my experience, this SD card was a key to success, no matter which patch we talk about:

Sandisk Extreme 95MBs.jpg
    631 x 851 - 86K
  • @tetakpatak, thanks for continuing work on GH1. I hope to get a chance to do some tests in the near future. The one thing that drives me crazy is being outside and having my GH1 quit recording on high detail scenes. Getting the best IQ but still being reliable for long clips is important for events.

• Hey, mate- don`t worry. I indeed have uploaded Parser screenshot of an old and solved S-mode problem in wrong post.... I attended to upload it after second post where I described it, not after third post.

• Oh, shame on me! I am so sorry. I didn't realize this when first replying. It was probably because I was so excited. I read your first post and then first, temporarily was my intention, skipped the long posts to take a look at the images right away. Then I read the first replies and then I was a Fool to immediately talk about what was wrong with my eyes...

• @zcream No, I'm sorry but I really doubt I'll be able to improve 25p- this patch rocks in 1080p24 on costs of all other modes. I am surprized how good actually 720p60 looks meanwhile "on paper" after fixing some bugs. But it also definitely needs more testing.

For 1080p25 I strongly recommend @LPowell's patches "Blackout" and "Latitude" which work great in PAL modes.

Here you can get impression of the integrated timelapse in "Varigop":