Personal View site logo
GH2 Moon5´s at its best. Thriller movie preview.
  • 29 Replies sorted by
  • It's not my intention to be harsh and I don't mean in any way to discourage endotoxic. Completing a short (or any length film for that matter) is in itself worthy of admiration and respect. It just seems there is a wave of new filmmakers who have been conditioned to believe that shallow d.o.f. is not only desirable but also imparts a 'cinematic' quality to an image inversely proportional to the area in acceptable focus. It's my opinion that this paradigm is wrong-headed and needs addressing.

@endotoxic I agree that it's hard and a lot more work without the assistance of an operator or cinematographer, especially when you're shooting long days and are directing. However, when those circumstances do arise think of it as the perfect opportunity to hone your craft and become more intimate with the cinematographic aspects of fimmaking and all it encompasses. Apart from the focus issue your camera work is fine and suits the content of your film well. The issue with focus can be addressed by stopping down your lens (selecting smaller aperture and yes, that means more light or higher ISO) to give your acceptable focus range more latitude. Your films won't suffer as a result. Do a search on hyperfocal distance for more info.

Oh, and I have a deep appreciation for your casting skills ;)

• From a quick glance I´d say those comments are a bit harsh. Yes, there is a bit of hunting; but it looks sort of like somebody shot it with s16 at home, handheld and not like someone with a full-frame camera going apeshit over short DOF. (much more pleasant IMO). There are some issues with the placement of the focal field every now and again, or maybe an issue with framing (depending on what you go for).. It´s not too far off though, there are some good intentions and fluid moments.

• YOu right, but with no operator its kind of dificult make this stuff hand held, even thoug you are right. Im still learning this is my 3rth year making videos.

Thanks.

• I'm really sorry to say this and I assure you I don't mean it personally at all but this obsession with shallow d.o.f. is completely ridiculous, I mean half your footage is out of focus. Has no one else pointed this out? I don't care how 'cinematic' these f/.01 lenses are supposed to be, if the images are out of focus it looks like amateur home video not a serious attempt at filmmaking.