Personal View site logo
Canon Cinema 1D, rocking 4K camera
  • 59 Replies sorted by
  • @ahbleza Sharing/embedding has been disabled, but your original link:

http://www.hurlbutvisuals.com/blog/2012/04/the-next-gen-in-digital-film-capture-canons-4k-1dc/

works and the short 'The Ticket' may be viewed from there. Read the comments for info about how the film was lit, etc.

• Hi ! I think it is an extremely interesting product this 1DC, as a concept I mean. If I understand well Canon has abandoned the line skipping technique used in the full frame 5D for a different strategy of reading for the cmos sensor. And it pays a lot, at least so it seems. This is a very nice achievement. Regarding the price I think that quality level is a little subjective, certainly more than price of course that is very objective. Canon must also defend their own camcorder models, like the c300, just to avoid an internal fight. The 1DC should be priced just lower than the c300. So I assume that the video quality is almost equivalent. But the very very interesting outcome for me is that a really high video quality is indeed possible from photocameras, if correctly designed for video of course. If only this original cmos reading strategy were more widely used the world would be better Line skipping is bad. Kind regards, gino

• @lumiere61 You don't have to line-skip when you output a crop of the full-sensor resolution. :)

The C300 and 1DC use very different approaches, different sensors (and sensor sizes) and start and end with different maximum video resolutions.

The strength of the 1DC is in the 4K output, not the 1920x1080P output. Also, as mentioned, the 1DC does not use the full sensor - it uses a 4K crop out of an 5K full-frame sensor (18.1 MP). The C300 outputs 1920x1080 from an a S35 sensor (around 8.85MP to start with) that uses a downconversion approach (not line-skipping) that has more in common with the GH2 (both in terms of pros and cons) than with many other cameras. You can see the similarity reflected in many benchmarks.

The 1DC is a cool concept and has some very real potential. The official line from Canon from a while back was that it required some modifications from the 1DX design to handle the additional heat, etc. of operation in that mode. But it faces stiff competition from the RED Scarlet for a relatively similar price.

• Thank you !
    I am not an expert but the general questions for me are: 1) Does the line skipping work ? My answer, not well. 2) Does the 1DC cmos reading technique work ? It seems very well from the first impressions on the web 3) Why other manufacturers of full frame reflex do not follow the 1DC cool concept ditching, at the same time, the line skipping ? this is a mistery to me. I really do not understand.
    And in fact when Canon has decided to make a very high quality video reflex has abandoned the line skipping judging the technique not up to the task, at least this is my belief. And also, why not adopt the same technique also for the existing 5D if technically feasible of course ? From what I understand is mostly a matter of different firmware and some hardware modifications, nothing that could not be done and quite easily I imagine, but if I am wrong tell me please. To go on with a "fundamentally" flawed approach (i.e. line skipping) sounds even perverse to me. I think we cannot honestly ask to Canon to change their commercial policy, but I would expect that other brands like Nikon for instance will adopt this reading technique and provide extremely high performing video reflex. I think they could do that without particular problems and even at a lower price than that of 1DC, as Nikon does not have camcorders' line sales to defend. In the end it seems that the difference between the 1DX and 1DC is just a different FW, from what I read. A very expensive FW indeed. To end, my feeling is that the video market is not completely developed, differently from the photo market. Nevertheless I think this 1DC will show the way and others will follow, pretty soon. Thank you very much again for your technical advice. Regards, gino

• This camera is nonsense for me. We are in the Scarlet price range, and what Scarlet offers is simply uncomparably better. The only vantage of the 1DC is the sensor size, but who really would choose a DSLR with video capability with a professional complete video tool just for having a 30% out of standard sensor? (compared to S35)

• 4K 25p just announced in a firmware update for April.

• I used this intensively last week, I'll do a longer write up soon, but bottom line I'm having the same syndrome as a lot of guys seem to with this beast...yes, it's overpriced and under-specced on paper, but damn does it feel good to shoot on. There is still something about the feel of a Canon DSLR and the way the lenses work that is just amazing, but they've always been so soft...now you just get great footage. I've been a skeptic, but I definitely enjoy watching the 4k files more than 1080p, so I guess this is the direction we're heading.

Workflow was surprisingly easy, converted to 4k ProRes in FCPX and cut with no hangups on a Retina 15. Ate some storage, though. Was able to keep shooting with 3 128gb cards and little station setup to rotate them out.

Stills come out surprisingly good and and more flexible than expected not being RAW. I was using it to get both mediums at once and I (and the client) are thrilled with both. Some shutter speed compromises did not seem to matter.

Cannot conceive of myself buying in it any scenario, even with the lease, as when I think about the probabilities of it or my interest in it being relevant in 48 months I balk. There is no cost effective return on what I could offer my clients with it, and even for my cinema efforts twelve grand would go a lot farther towards the final scene and wrap up of my first feature than it would into a camera.

And yet, I wish it were in my bag right now.

• The 1D rocking the multi angle for some stunt car work on "Californication" today. They had another one on the back and one handheld in the passengers seat.

20130701_071719.jpg
    1080 x 810 - 293K
  • United Kingdom, Republic of Ireland, 12 September 2013 – Canon today announces that the EOS-1D C, a unique and ground-breaking DSLR designed principally for motion picture capture, has been independently tested in accordance with European Broadcasting Union (EBU) standards for HD content acquisition1. The tests found that the EOS-1D C is the first DSLR ever to provide an image of high enough quality for use as a broadcast production tool.

Results indicated that the EOS-1D C provides ‘exceptional’ HD resolution from a 4K source with ‘very low’ aliasing, and ‘good’ colour performance and motion portrayal. The test results also confirm that the EOS-1D C camera system and its imaging performance comply with the recommended specification for inclusion in HD Tier for HD production.

“The EOS-1D C has received a tremendous response since it launched, and we’re delighted the test results were so positive,” said Kieran Magee, Director of Professional Marketing at Canon Europe Ltd. “We’ve created a truly unique product that offers exceptional creative scope for videographers. The feedback we’ve received from the professional video community has been excellent, so it’s great that the product has been awarded the industry accreditation it deserves.”

http://www.canon.co.uk/For_Home/Product_Finder/Cameras/Digital_SLR/EOS-1D_C/

• New Firmware Version 1.3.x:

Lens aberration correction with EF Cinema Lenses: Communication between Canon EF Cinema lenses and Canon cameras has had a few effects on the operation of the EOS-1D C. The following features are now available as menu options:

• Peripheral Illumination Correction: This feature maintains even brightness from corner to corner of an image. This will virtually eliminate vignetting and any other unevenness of light across the image.
    • Chromatic Aberration Correction: This feature reduces color fringing in areas of an image with high contrast color. It reduces color bleeding, which is easily noticeable at edges and degrades perceived image quality.
    • In addition, communication between the lens and camera body will allow the F-stop to now be seen on the viewfinder. Focus position and F-stop will also now be recorded by the camera.
    • Flicker caused by manual aperture adjustment has been reduced with this update, this could cause slight underexposure which may result in exposure compensation in some cases.

Sound recording with Line input:

• After requests from users in the field, audio recording through a mini plug (3.5mm) connected to the external microphone terminal is now supported. This will allow for the recording of audio sources other than microphones, such as mobile devices or audio players. The standard input level is -8 dBV and can reach an input signal of up to +6 dBV. Sound recording levels are adjustable at 64 sound-recording levels.

Service support start date is anticipated mid-October 2013. For information regarding the EOS-1D C firmware update (which must be performed by a Canon Factory Service center) please contact Canon Cinema EOS Support at 1-855-CINE-EOS (246-3367).

• New Firmware for the EOS-1D C

A versatile, self-contained 4K cinema camera as well as a robust still photography camera, the Canon EOS-1D C will also benefit from a new service update that further enhances the performance of this unique imaging device.

• EF Lens Communication – The new service update for the EOS-1D C Digital SLR Cinema camera will enable Canon EF-mount Cinema lenses to store lens metadata in the video recorded by the camera. Furthermore, Canon EF-mount Cinema lenses will be supported by Peripheral Illumination and Chromatic Aberration Correction functions, helping to improve overall image quality*.

• Audio Recording – In response to user requests, audio on the EOS-1D C camera has also been enhanced. Currently audio recording is limited to a MIC input, but the forthcoming service update will permit selection of LINE or MIC input, allowing use of a wider variety of external audio sources.

New Firmware Release Schedules and Installation Procedures

The update for the Canon EOS-1D C Digital SLR Cinema camera is scheduled to be available November 2013, and will be installed at no charge as a service upgrade that requires the camera to be sent to an authorized Canon Factory Service Center. For more information please visit: http://www.usa.canon.com/CinemaEOSFirmwareUpdate

• Firmware is available now, but you need to go to service center to make update.

• Amazing place and incredible dynamic range.

• favorite video camera