Personal View site logo
Genus Eclipse Variable ND Filter , pictures, resolution and colorshift
  • Here are some test pictures with Genus Eclipse ... Voigtländer nokton 25mm at f2.0 and old Tokina 200mm/ f3.5 it does not seem to have any problems and no color shift ... Included pictures in full resolution ... Later on coming a video test and if I get some zoom lenses to test more ...

• 33 Replies sorted by
  • A disadvantage of the Tiffin is that the front of the filter is not threaded so you can't use a lens hood with it. The Eclipse has threads on the front and an optional hood is available at extra cost.

• I have had the Genus Eclipse for a while and have been happy with it. From that test @danpv posted the tiffen looks like a good option as well considering it is a bit cheaper and available on Amazon.

• Found this test comparing the Genustech Eclipse and Tiffen Variable ND filters:

http://chriscontiphotography.com/2013/06/battle-of-the-varinds-whats-the-best-variable-nd/

Conclusions:

• both are sharp
    • both add a green cast
    • both cost about the same
    • "... the Tiffen had an extra stop or two of usable range before it too started showing the cross pattern."
    • Genustech customer service is sub-par
    • If you purchase the Eclipse from the Genustech website and return it you are charged a restocking fee and the item must be shipped to Hong Kong.
  • Just did a day with my new 77mm and no complaints - footage looks just as good as stuff shot with my Tiffen ND which costs nearly twice as much

• I just ordered one 77mm with the step up ring. I'll be taking some pics/vids soon and will post some results here.

• I've been considering the Genus Eclipse myself. I have a crappy fader ND and find it handy in a pinch but the quality stinks. The Eclipse looks great but I might just get a couple of strong Tiffen IRND filters instead. I do think I will miss the ease of use of a fader though... so many decisions and not enough money. lol

• @feha Still like that Eclipse?

• @Gamer_s , all the way in ...

Eclipse1.jpg
    1200 x 900 - 565K
    Eclipse2.jpg
    1200 x 900 - 171K
  • @feha are you able to turn the eclipse all the way in on the stepper ring, or just 1/2 to 1 revolution?

• @manstok so this is how they're designed? Weird. I guess the only solution would be to exchange it for a bigger one and use stepper rings like feha

• Hm, that kinda sucks. The filter thread on the eclipse doesn't even look like a screw in thread, they just look parallel. Is this some kind of vari nd standard or did I just get a bad copy? Guess I'll just have to contact genus...

• @Gamer_s Hmm, that reminds me of the genus eclipse on my 35-100, it feels a bit 'loose', i can't get it to tighten, going around in circles...

• @Gamer_s , i have a 77mm version so i can't answer (58mm ?). I use Cordvision Cine rings 77mm to 58 mm and Genus Eclipse 77mm works OK. If you use an UV filter between it may solve your problem.

• Just got the genus eclipse. Is it just me or are the filter threads weird? Tried to attach it to the 35-100 but I''m afraid to damage the filter thread on the lens :/

• @tinyrobot , sorry i don't own any new ND from Light Craft, I'm very satisfied with Eclipse Genus ...

• @feha What do you still think of the fader? Good buy?

Any any new companies with new faders? I heard Lightcraft came out with a new model. I still see a light color shift. I wonder how it compares to the Genus Eclipse.

• You can only buy it from the website

• any cheap link in Europe for this filter ?

• Thank you for feedback, I'm glad if this test helped you a bit. Yes the "Eclipse" is much different and I attached the photo below of the package too.

Genus_Eclipse_Vari_ND.jpg
    1200 x 900 - 139K
  • @feha, Thanks. I had my eye on this Fader too. Was wondering if it was as good as they claimed.

• Some resellers are still selling the older Genustech "non Eclipse" model marked as "NEW" so be aware. Prices are similar also.

• @DanPV, yep, you need to order it direct from them. It's still well priced.