Personal View site logo
2K BlackMagic Pocket Cinema Camera, active m43, $995
  • 4493 Replies sorted by
  • @Kholi you are the man kholi soo excited can't wait keep us updated on things.

• Guy's very important a quote from John Brawley about the BMPCC "The pocket has a smaller version of the same sensor in the bmcc. The 4k is a new sensor, mainly because it was the best option for 4k super 35 size"
    From that one statement it is sure that the images coming out of the Pocket Cinema Camera will be very very simular to that of the BMC, don't need to hear anything else this little cam will be a beast..

• I'm so happy about the BMPC cuz I was trying to decide which DSLR would give me the most DR and Detail and now I don't have to worry about that cuz there's a camera designed specifically to give that and it will work with the SAME MFT lenses for the GH line!!! I couldn't be happier. All small and i'll be able to shoot just about anywhere and not draw attention to myself!!! Damn exciting to be honest. I can hide a BMPC behind the Priest during weddings too. I was thinking of doing that with a HD Hero, but now I can do that with a BMPC.

• 1.5:1 compression on Bayer is rather poor. On clean image you achieve up to 4:1 on video years ago. With cineform 4:1 was basically lossless on bayer. Bayer much more compressible. They state a range 1.2-1.5:1.

Reason, likely maxing out on board processor limiting to simple compression technique. Almost achieved simply with compression of inter frame comparison on a clean image. Would they do it?

• Speed booster problems

Maybe need it own thread.

But what is reported performance of different speed boosters, in resolution, warping, chroma aberrations ...

Probably macro lens like old Canon video camera to slr kens adaptor. But issue, you had to use at least good triplet lens to compensate for aberrations to red green blue made by interface on each lens, each lens is tuned to correct aberration of previous lens to clean image. Single and double produce issues.

Which speed boosters has at least triplets and produce clean results to be used on pocket.

• Would be interesting to see a rolling shutter comparison between gh2 & cropped bmcc...

• RS is pretty similar for BMCC and GH-2 (I tested them). Expect a bit better from the Pocket, since it has fewer photocells to read – if the electronics is not too strapped down to read the sensor slower than BMCC…

• Will this cam be sharper than the 5diii with its new clean hdmi out?

• With the same optics, it will not be sharper with any Speedbooster in between. Adding optical converters, aka lens elements, always degrade optical performance and likely will add lens flare. of all the converters out there, I mean tele and wide, only a few of the Nikon with ED glasses do not degrade much the lens it is attached to. Speedbooster claims that it improves MFT, provides 1 stop better. I am dubious about koolaid overcoming laws of physics. It is like saying I get a better throughput with a bigger pipe adapter when the original pipe I fitted to is already small.

• @ghkqn Huh? Have you seen any of the tests done so far? The images coming from the Speedbooster is certainly as sharp as the original (no apparent degradation), much wider and is a lot brighter at the same f-stop. Sure….it’s common knowledge that adding more elements like that should degrade the image and I know it does not make any sense but you have to see it to believe it.

• If BMPCC is released on time, if Speed Booster adapter is released on time, if I can get them delivered to my door before I lose my temper, if my lens works on on the adapter, if my BMPCC works fine without major breakdown and without a monstrous rig, if my editor/hardware are fast enough to edit/render RAW footage, if my final artifact is a way better than what I can get from Gh1/2/3, I will be happy. No I'm not an early adopter. So no preorder for me. Easy.

• @blofeld @nomad See it in action here

• The notion that adding elements degrades image quality is absolute nonsense. Compare the internal glass element configuration of primitive lenses with modern ultra-sharp lenses, and try to tell me that. With certain filters, wide angle adapters, and other front-element attachments that may be true, but the SpeedBooster behaves more like an internal element than anything else. It's widely accepted that the Speedbooster improves image quality for most lenses, unless they are overly soft around the edges.

• Blackmagic CEO Grant Petty explains it all.. & go to 3:11 - 7:14 minutes to see a quick look of the BMPCC DOF. It has some real nice DOF in my opinion I'm excited about what I'm seeing, let me know what you think.

• Metabones has announced that the m4/3 Speed Boosters are delayed. Passive Speed boosters, such as from r Leica and G Nikon, will arrive late this year. An active EF mount is not scheduled until some time in 2014.

• @Ian_T

It makes perfect sense. The speedbooster works by shrinking the cone of light coming from the lens. Fine detail gets squashed together, and resolution actually increases. For example, say you have a 50mm lens that resolves 60 lines per millimeter. If you use the speedbooster, that lens becomes a 35mm. The picture is smaller. So those 60 lines are now 0.7mm wide. One millimeter now holds 86 lines. Resolution has increased.

• @nomad - IN my experience the Rolling Shutter ("Jello") has been no worse than the GH2 or MK3. Not sure why anyone would consider it any different than either of those cameras.

• Please use proper topic for speed booster talks

yea...these posts about the pcc and the speed booster together are kinda of stretching the laws of probability ...all things undelivered and considered !

• Preorder completed. I have all the glass plus I have a GH3 + GH2. I think this should cover most of my film making needs for the next couple of years. I can see the GH3 and the BMPC filling each others weaknesses.

• @TrackZillas, thanks for posting the video. Future firmware updates are looking promising for these three cameras, and GP now has an interesting vision playing out.

• @WhiteRabbit Yeah love that those software updates cause you don't have to constantly keep buying new models. Blackmagic philosophy is to give power back to the people love that also..

• Can someone point out the downside to this vs a GH2 please? :) Looks amazing!

• No downside whatsoever!

This guy has made an interesting calculator : http://bmpcc.rubenkremer.nl/