Personal View site logo
Metabones lens speed booster adapter, focal reducer
  • 873 Replies sorted by
  • Anyone want to try to reverse mount my old telephoto adapter?

• Well, I understand your frustration completely. One thing though, which for me usually is decisive (more so than bad customer services) - what´s the track record of the company in question? Have they delivered in the past? If so then there´s a good chance they will again, but one can never know anything for sure.

After all, I don´t have anything against SLR magic, they just won´t be getting my money right now and I´m guessing it´s the same for you and metabones. (after all, they won´t be getting mine either since the adapter isn´t available for order yet!) I´m thinking it´s more of a loss for SLR magic than it is for me, since I won´t be using their products in productions which might add to their reputation.

The downside of all this of course is that as a customer you can never rely on getting stuff on time, which makes a difference for projects. Nowadays I have to take this into account, invest before the actual productions are lined up and make risk assessments accordingly. Only once have I ever experienced a genuine scam and I´ve bought plenty of stuff online for years.. every time you pay, you take a risk - regardless of which company it is for.

For instance, a friend of mine collected his savings and ordered a long coveted 3000 $ sofa (in a physical store) and a couple of weeks after they filed for bankruptcy. He never saw a penny of his money nor the sofa. It wasn´t like the store was "risky" (in theory) either.. Just shows its possible to loose out, just about anytime.

• I actually have sympathy for micro sized businesses like these. For one thing it's a tough thing to succeed at even under normal circumstances, but with recent financial woes in the world, it's even tougher. Then most of these companies have a VERY short window of exclusivity in order to hook customers and sell the product at the price they want before someone comes along and copycats them with cheaper prices. Imagine how desperate that would make you knowing you had such a short window to sell the public on your product?

Most of these 3rd party companies are very small and I think it makes them promise delivery times we don't see from larger companies with protection from fear that they won't profit from their new designs.

• Just got word from metabones that M4/3 speed booster will be available in the second half of this year, which apparently means even later than June.

• The Metabones site has these words on their Contact page where you could email them.

Thinking of buying a metabones product, but want to ask a question before you take the plunge? See if your question has already been answered in our FAQ, then email presales. Sorry but due to email volume, we will only reply to questions NOT already covered by the FAQ.

The FAQ's very first section is dedicated to future roadmap. Some of you may insist on them having staff re typing answers already published before you will be happy so they just added a couple of new staff recently. I think there will be an improvement in this area.

• @Conurus

As I understand you are related to Metabones

We design electronics for #Metabones EF lens to #NEX Speed Booster

• LOL, just joined and posts something like this. Seems a bit odd. Troll much? :)

• Good grief, why such a long wait for the m4/3 version of this thing? Won't that easily sell more units than the mount they're selling right now?

• LOL, just joined and posts something like this. Seems a bit odd. Troll much? <

It's all there in b&w ....

(http://www.metabones.com/sony/questions)

..hopefully I understand the formatting methodology...first timer

As for why the m4/3 is delayed...obviously if it's magnifying the same .71x, then that would be different optics needed from the nex version, since the sensor size is not the same .

Hey...it's great an insider makes posts here to straighten out the confusion. I don't see why the hubbub ?

• As someone who runs a small non-profit, I can tell you that at a certain point you are sometime working literally from dawn to dusk and you have to prioritize. So I can see why they don't want to answer the same questions that are in the FAQ. If you are paying some $30 an hour to work, and they spend 2 minutes on something, it costs a dollar. OK, big deal. But let's say you get four or five hundred of these a day, well, then it starts to add up. And you have to read these emails one by one, some of which are highly technical. Try emailing Canon and see if you get a cogent reply. You can also hire someone for minimum wage to save money--we pay people a reasonable hourly rate, but a lot of companies don't. Even then, it starts to add up.

I'm not excusing the uneven email response, but I also would rather they spend their money on the quality of the product. I emailed Panasonic once to replace the tiny little plastic flap on the GH1. Took me forever to get a real answer, and then they would not send me a part, they wanted me to send the whole camera back. So if one of the biggest players in the industry can't do a simple task, shouldn't we cut some of the small indies a little slack?

• I had no problem with response time from metabones. I simply asked them if they would be offering the m4/3 speed booster in April as they still have posted in their questions section. They got back to me a couple of days later saying that it will be in the second half of this year. The problem for them will be if Mitakon does come out with a comparable booster in July for half the price.

• Is there any reason to think the speedbooster wouldn't work just as well with zoom lenses? I am thinking a great pairing would be with the Tamron 70-200mm f 2.8. That would give you a 50-140 at a constant f 2.0. Would be amazing for weddings.

• That video makes me feel sad...:( I still got the fever, I would love to have a F-MFT adapter. Too bad it will be the second half of this year.

• I hate to do this, but:

We apologize but the m4/3 schedule is slipping. Manual focus lenses such as Nikon, Leica R, Contax C/Y, Contarex, ALPA and Rollei will be supported in the second half of 2013. Canon EF lens (but not EF-S) support is planned in the future, but we do not have an estimated date yet.

http://www.metabones.com/speed-booster-questions

• Don't worry, children! You can save Tinker Bell - you just have to BELIEVE. So everyone, let's keep talking about SpeedBooster like its a real product, like "Don't worry about BMC Pocket Cam's 3X crop, SPEEDBOOSTER will fix it!"

• Good thing the lenses I want to use don't have electronic contacts to shred.

• An idea to start thinking.

Sigma 18-35mm f/1.8 DC HSM + Metabones 12-24 f/1.2...

The sigma seems intent on revolutionizing the world of lenses, first with the 35mm 1.4 ultra sharp and now with this. Maybe they make a version for micro 4/3, with extra metabones lens included.

• I think that sigma is an APC-S type lens so I don't know if that will cover m4/3 sized sensors with the speed booster. If it does it'd be great though.

• I just did the calculation on this before I opened this tread. Crop factor of APS-C is 1.5 (minimum, some cams are 1.6).

1.5/0.71=2.11 ... so nope, this won't work on GH2's 1.86 crop factor. Chances are that it might work on GH3 due to smaller sensor, but it would be at the border.

This however is all theory, if the lens offers a larger image circle than expected this would be my lens of choice for the next years.

• This would be a great lens for the BMPC when used with a metabones adaptor. I'll leave the calculation of effective focal length range to someone else with more time however. :-)

• From second review: "Although it’s not designed for it, the Sigma 18-35mm F1.8 DC HSM actually complements a full-frame camera like the Canon EOS 5D Mk III very well...." Dunno what that means but this gives me hope.

About this lens on BMPC: With metabone it will have a crop factor of 2.13 (compared to 3 without it). Simply multiply any focal lenght by this factor and you will have an idea how it looks on it.

• Direct from the white paper from metabones.

white-paper.jpg
    536 x 530 - 98K
  • If that white paper presents the reality, FX lenses will be more desired (like ever) as it seems that fair amount of vignetting by DX lenses will get visible on the µFT sensor.