Personal View site logo
2K BlackMagic Pocket Cinema Camera, active m43, $995
  • 4493 Replies sorted by
  • Just put in a pre-order with HotRod Camera as well - thanks for the heads up on its availability with them.

This is probably the wrong thread for it, but since there has been quite a bit of talk about the Metabones Speedbooster in regards to this camera, here's a question that I'm wondering if anyone can answer. The difference in sensor size between Super-16 and MFT is a factor of 0.7x, which just happens to be the focusing coefficient of the Speedbooster. Is there any way that a Speedbooster could be used to focus an MFT lens onto the smaller Super-16 sensor of this camera? There should not be any vignetting issues, if my math is correct. The only question would be around flange distance, and physically mounting the lens to the Speedbooster (modifying it if necessary).

If this could be done, it would mean that a Voigtlander 17.5mm f/0.95 would effectively become a 12.25mm f/0.7, equivalent in FOV on this camera to 36.75mm on FF. Needless to say, that would be absolutely incredible: an unprecedentedly bright, wide-angle lens.

• @TrackZillas

It is same as last year, fantasies from people in booth. And I do not understand sesnor position otherwise.

• Is there any way that a Speedbooster could be used to focus an MFT lens onto the smaller Super-16 sensor of this camera? There should not be any vignetting issues, if my math is correct. The only question would be around flange distance, and physically mounting the lens to the Speedbooster (modifying it if necessary).

It is just impossible, physically.

• Pre-ordered from B&H this morning... couldn't resist. Even if it turns out to be my B-camera. For that price to shoot prores422 HQ, with wide latitude and multitude of m43 lens options on something a little bigger than a phone its too good. Besides its a good way to dip an experimental toe into a BM product.

• anybody found an option to pre-order this baby in europe yet?

• @VK

thanks vitaliy, did not know we have this section now :) I will call the usual suspects these days. although its like almost impossible to get a regular BMCC at a european seller right now. Meantime i will expand my c-mount collection and look for good deals. found sound amazing schneider kreuznach stuff, supposed to be for double 8 cameras, could that fit on the sensor or is double 8 smaller than 16?

• If anyone in Germany is interested, I just pre-ordered from BPM Media.

http://www.bpm-media.de/de/Sales/EB-Live-Production/Camcorder/DSLR-Video/Blackmagic-Design-Pocket-Cinema-Camera::358914.html

Chances are pretty high I'm the first one in the list, I was literally hitting F5 when it went live. :)

• @niGGo do they transfer the money before they deliver? otherwise i would order there this very second :)

• You can choose "cash on delivery" as your payment method. I did that, too. If you want to pay via PayPal or the like I don't know if they want you to pay the whole price first.

• The more I look at it the, the more this looks like the camera to buy. At first I had discarded it completely, but now if you add a speed booster with it and I use my Nikon lens, I will be about gh2 crop which is good enough for me in term of dof. I cannot wait eternally that some dslr manufacturer (Nikon) is going to bring a true HD camera and at least 10 bit codec.

If the 4k camera had 1080 60p prores even only in 15/20 sec burst mode, it would have been an automatic buy. As thing go by better invest in glass, because the camera are changing too fast with blackmagic being the perfect example.

I hope they have put an olpf on it and it seems the jello is better, perhaps because they have less pixel to read. Lets hope we will see some footage soon.

• Nobody seem to complain about the battery. Great option that they chose this kind of Nikon battery cause they're largely available and they're cheap as hell. BUT, what's the point to buy 5 of them if you need to let em' inside the camera to charge !!! What a mistake. On their website they claim that the average battery life is about one hour of continuous recording (so I plan on 45mn). First it's very very short for long days shooting, but the pain in the ass is that you need to let the battery into the camera to fully charge it, and the approximate time to charge it is 1h15mn when camera's off or 2h when it's on. Not a big deal when shooting inside but when shooting outside, one of the main purposes of this little cam, what's the point? Will you need to spend the night before charging and removing each battery after it's complete? No charger is included into the box, so let's hope it'll come later as a separate accessory !!!

• I see the 2kPCC has Lanc controller. It would be great if the camera controlled the lenses and specially that it could take advantage of the O.I.S, like in the 14-140. Any info on this?

• For any popular battery, there will be plenty of chargers readily available on eBay.

• For a camera that costs that price, with all those features... I think a battery charger wouldn't hurt to bad.

• I don't see your problem. Buy five batteries with one (or two) 12V car chargers and it will bring you over the day

• pre ordered today 906,66€ (752,- net excl VAT)

• I almost pre-ordered, but instead, I just asked B&H to notify me when it is in stock, which may be never. When do you guys really think it will be available? I'm still mulling it over on that pre-order.

• Yup I didn't think about the possibility to buy cheap chargers on Ebay since it's a Nikon battery... Time to go back to bed !! Sorry for the unconvenience !! :D

• @ixvi my favorite supplier bpm Hamburg

• OK, so for those of us who also shoot a few stills, is 2mp enough? RAW with very large DR is a plus, does it make up for being stuck with 1080p resolution for grabbing stills from video?

EDIT: ... and of course having rolling shutter artifacts on those stills.

• The more I look at this camera, the more and more it makes sense.. can take nearly any lens you can throw at it.. due to smaller sensor and MFT mount.. that was one of the bigest advantage of the GH2 besides the hack, and this camera is evn more lens agile.. If it is what BM says it is, 13 DR and as good of image as the BMDCC for image quality in 1080HD.. this thing will be the king of low budget productions.

Still waiting to see some real footage from this thing before I order one... but that is all that is holding me back. BMD if you reading this , release some native footage of this thing.. I'm sure I'm not the only one holding my breath to see some real footage.

• I made a reservation for mine at a local reseller. I can opt out at any time for free.

• @_gl are you serious? if they put what they promise as far as video for under a grant and you are still worried about a photo snapping? just get a used tiny gf(2-100euro,3, whatever) and snap all the photos you need in raw,it is decent. There ain't such a thing that is going to do all for nothing(corporate shark laws and simply technology issues) same goes for the rolling shutter btw. at least they are trying to bring this change about. If they succeed in this(mass production, fast shiping and keeping the price tag) we might be seeing lots of improvements for still a decent price soonafter. Would just require a little patience, in the mean time you can always buy or rent a red, alexa or whatever you needs are calling for.