Personal View site logo
2K BlackMagic Pocket Cinema Camera, active m43, $995
  • 4493 Replies sorted by
  • CMOS sensor rolling shutter skew is related to sensor readout speed. A smaller sensor readout area usually means faster readout, given the same sensor technology and the same binning.

• You can use more lenses on this camera without vignetting than any other camera that I know of, while at the same time having the capability for shallow DOF with a Metabones Speedbooster if that's what you need.

I wonder if this will be the standard go-to lens for this camera, it's pretty dang fast and chap as hell! Probably get great DOF options with it, even without the speedbooster...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/FAST-COMPUTAR-1-3-12-5MM-SUPER-16-C-MOUNT-LENS-BOLEX-16MM-MOVIE-CAMERA-MORE-/281047387289

What would the total crop factor be with the Metabones speed-booster on this? It would take the 3.5x crop down to something like 2.7x right?

• 3.5" LCD screen in matte.

Hope this is an improvement to the usual glossy displays... Anyone think Zacuto will pop out a 3.5" screen adapter for the Z-finder?

Will that cute new steadi-cam curve suit this? Guess its all lens weight dependant. The steadi smoothee will balance an iphone 4 which clocks in at about 140grams, think a gopro is 75grams sans the case... According to BMC website the pocket cam is 355grams which may mean the merlin is more suited..

the thing with such a small and light form factor is how to stabilise and give it some feeling of weight and significance when you move it.

• @bwhitz The crop on this camera isn't 3.5x, it's closer to 3x. And Speedbooster can't be used on lenses that are already covering roughly the same sensor size. It works by focusing a lens onto a smaller area, so using it with a Super-16mm lens would cause bad vignetting. Speedbooster is designed for use with Super-35 Cine, APS-C, APS-H, and full frame lenses. But yeah that looks like a really good lens! 12.5mm x 3 = 37.5 is a nice focal length.

The Olympus 12mm f/2 is really nice too though, and I like the idea of LANC focus control for steadicam use. It also costs about 10 times as much though.

• Oh yea, I wasn't implying using the speedbooster with that lens. I just meant in general, that Computar lens would give also good DOF control, compared to using "whatever lens"+speed-booster. Should have typed it more clearly...

But that's good to know the crop is closer to 3x. Is that the right figure on the Speedbooster though? .7x of reduction? Giving you basically only a 2.3x crop (from FF-lenses) on the Pocket Cinema's sensor? That Tokina 11-16mm f2.8 lens would be perfect with the speed-booster. Making a very nice 25-37mm f(1.8?) zoom for wide stuff!

• @bwhitz Yeah 0.7x is correct for the Speedbooster MFT version, but it's multiplied rather than subtracted, so the 3x crop becomes 3x*0.7x = 2.1x.

EF mounts will work too, apparently. The Tokina 11-16mm f/2.8 would become a super sharp 23-34mm equivalent f/2.0, which is very attractive indeed.

• Oh ok yea. Got it. That makes more sense.

Never mind, yea, it would be a f2.0. Nice!

• @Tungee78

4x Schneider Xenon 25mm f0.95

Hoarder!

• It might use a crop for a little more hacked resolution. It is also low frame rate, maybe hdmi recording.

The 4k says records raw in 1080, but no bayer at 1080. Also nice hack target for frame rate and ext record. Does pocket produce raw 1080 from higher res?

Nikon J1 used Aptina s16 sensor that can do 4k 60fps. How come not in BMC.

At others: gopro black edition already does 2. 7k video mode.

• @vitaliy_kiselev

they are "not" supposed to charge you until it ships.

• @GravitateMediaGroup

I do not mean that they'll charge you, I said that they want your money.

• Sensor position:

sensor.jpg
    495 x 407 - 33K
  • Yeah, I just pre-ordered to secure my place in line. If you have the funds, you don't have much to lose. I predict people will be able to sell these for a profit when supply doesn't meet demand again.

• LOL! They forgot to center it ;)

• I noticed the odd sensor position as well. It is clearly a design choice. What would be the reasoning for that?

• @QuickHitRecord

Active area closer to center, and most importantly, any hack turning on full sensor area becomes meaningless.

• I did the $1.00 pre-order from HotRod Camera... hope it's good.

Also, as far as crop factor goes, I've heard of Super16 being referred to as both a 3x crop and 2.8x crop... can anyone confirm the specifics?

• @Vitaliy_Kiselev Your so right VK great observation.

• @bwhitz crop is all relative. Compared to full frame photographic (stills) frame side, yes. It is 3X crop. But compared to Super 35mm frame size, it is less.

• crop is all relative.

Well, yea... but the standard of most available lenses are compared to FF 1.0x. So yea, 3x I guess is about right...

• Been perusing the boards - so... c-mount. Do you all think the edges will vignette? Does it matter which lens you use? Just learning about it as an option and it got my brain a-tickin'. There's lots of c-mount zooms out there from the looks of it. Could be my next camera depending on need for additional lenses.

• I see no evidence that Blackmagic is delivering a crippled chip with an active 1920 x 1080 pixel area any smaller than the full sensor area. Vitaliy, what gave you that idea? It is not uncommon for CMOS image sensor chips to have significant area devoted to processing in adjacent parts of the chip, exposed just like the sensor area. On this image of the BMPCC you can see a faint 16:9 outline centered exactly where you'd expect the active sensing area to be.

• see no evidence that Blackmagic is delivering a crippled chip with an active 1920 x 1080 pixel area any smaller than the full sensor area. Vitaliy, what gave you that idea.

Their words "gave me idea". They said that it is same sensor as BMCC, just cropped. And you can just check images.

• Just watched a video and they said the sensor is from a different manufacturer.