Personal View site logo
AVCHD: Extreme settings
  • 278 Replies sorted by
  • @cosimo_bullo

I am on Mac, too.
    Run PTool through Winebottler (or maybe on Win via Fusion VMware or so).
    Shift-click on "A", "B" ... etc. to save your setting file (extension = ini). File will be stored in the folder PTool resides in. Zip that file and uppload here.
    Otherwise listing the settings is fine, too, of course. I am particularly interessted in the settings for Encoder Frame Limit and Frame Buffer size ... and any other setting under "patches for testers".
    Thanks!

• I'm using winebottler, but hadn't noticed it was saving the ini files. Cool. Attached is the latest for 88 high 52 low. Also, towi, I saw you are running streamparser; is that on the mac?? I wasn't able to get it running.
    setf.ini.zip
    245B
  • Sorry, wrong file: here it is.
    setf.ini.zip
    526B
  • @cosimo_bullo

many thanks!
    So with regard to 24H we are using the exact same settings.
    How do you transcode the MTS files? I am asking because Avid won't import the MTS files directly and ClipWrap's export exhibits weird artefacts. 5DtoRGB and "Media Converter" transcode the files without issues.

I am running Streamparser on Windows XP through Fusion VMWare on my Mac.

• @cosimo_bullo: Thank you very much!
  • @awaterman i think you have the best approach, not changing the buffer setting. I bumped the I frames from 8 to 9.2 but the video turns into mush..without the buffer patches checked it the I frames go up to 8.08 and looks great. I have the transcend class 10 also. I can film a detailed scene for 3 seconds and a simple scenes longer at 172mbs with it.
    172mbs_4AQ_3gop_2xFB.jpg
    1278 x 645 - 275K
  • @coimo_bullo
    @towi
    I using a setting of 66mbps for 24H with the same settings as you except AQ3 & gop original. I have 720p at 44mbps AQ1 at 3x FBS & frame limit 3x only on 60fps & 50fps.

I was over exposed by 3 stops then I stop down for a better exposure on a scene of green rosemary everything looked great in camera. Trans coded in FCP file& transfer. The shots I over exposed and brought back are micro blocking very badly not good. The ones where I exposed correctly no problem looks Great. 720 rocks. This only happened with 24H I'm hoping to keep my bit rate down. Have you tried over exposing with your 88Mbps. Oh I used 35mm Nikon FD. Did not try my 14-42 panny yet wanted to get to you first.
    Thanks

Luke
  • @ivan858 & @awaterman

Great work you guys are doing! Could you test your high bitrate 3 gop 24H settings with the attached death chart for 2-4 minutes and post the stream parser file? When I try with your 3 gop settings on the death chart the bit rate is hammered (attached) and I am trying to figure out what is wrong.

Thanks!
    66mb362settingsondeathchart.JPG
    1278 x 665 - 157K
    new codec tests chart PAPPASARTS.jpg
    1920 x 1224 - 2M
  • @kae am i supposed to print it first? lol totally blew the codec. Can you give me your input on the IQ of the settings i'm using?
    176mbs_deathchart.jpg
    1279 x 658 - 296K
  • @ivan858

lol. Actually my laptop lcd is only 1280x800 rez, so it would probably get really hammered at the native 1920x1080 rez of the chart.
  • @kae am i supposed to print it first? lol totally blew the codec

Ok. Thanks so much. I was using @awaterman's 66mb settings for the streamparser grab I posted. Do you have any luck with your 66 or 88 24H 3 GOP and this chart???

I find the chart to be the best test for stability in the end. Motion shots outside with detail will always vary but I don't think there's anything that will beat up the codec more than pappas's chart. 65mbs 3 gop with 3.61 and the chart was stable but there was that annoying 10 frame glitch which gratefully is gone with 3.62. I'm hoping for stable high data rate 3 gop with 3.62.
  • @ivan858

"Can you give me your input on the IQ of the settings i'm using?"

The stuff looks awfully nice but I can never judge motion when it's encoded by vimeo. Vimeo sucks big time with motion. Also, your shots are pretty static, so you're really not stressing the codec. A good test is: Try slapping on the 14-140 widen to 14, turn focus to infinity, OIS on, then safely mount the GH2 on your dash facing forward and drive down a heavily tree-lined street in traffic for 20 minutes so the clips have to span. This test is probably as brutal as the death chart but at least you can see real world images on playback and judge quality. If this test doesn't break your settings they will probably safely shoot anything.
  • @kae note, there are known issues with GOP stuff at the moment.
  • @kae note, there are known issues with GOP stuff at the moment.

Ahh, thanks. Can you point me to the discussion of that?
  • @kae i had the bitrate drop off at 88mbs as well, so i jacked up the bitrate. 132mbs handles the death chart fine, i stopped it at 20 seconds. 154mb overloads the codec at 8 seconds.
    132bps.jpg
    1276 x 647 - 322K
    154bps.jpg
    1280 x 800 - 400K
  • @ivan858 - What AQ are you using? What card?
  • @kae there isn't any special topic on the issue (yet) Vitaliy and chris just said that he was working to solve that "well documented" problem in the next rlz. Until then tweeking low gop appears like a funny but useless quest. Maybe better to stick w/ your last one or (heresia!) try long gop as requested by vk to find better improvement of the quality regardless the motion aspect (for the moment).

Ps : just a noob who s trying to follow the news... To each his own :)
  • @cosimo_bullo 4AQ, Transcend 10
  • Wow, you're having better luck with 132mbps than I with AQ4 on high detail. We're maxing out at 88.
  • Yeah and maybe you're right ivan! Just trying to clarify the situation for kae who wasn't here. I barely understand all thoses technical stuff (-->end user ;) )
  • @astraban no you're right. thanks for looking out for other members. =)
  • @Cosimo_bullo what lens are you using? my 14-140mm is preforming better than my 20mm
  • I've been using the 20, so I'll experiment with the zoom too.
  • @kae I believe it is here:

http://personal-view.com/talks/discussion/699/avchd-maximum-image-quality-settings-and-testing#Item_120

I'm no tester, but I've been reading. from what I understand, it is not PTools problem, but GH2 firmware problem, and VK is aware and will work towards fixing it. Nothing super specific, just low GOP stuff is messy right now.
  • My last attempt at 3gop/max bitrate til the next release. goodbye for now..